Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
In case you missed the subtext, all XBox One games will be backwards compatible on the next console.

Yes, I didn't think there was any doubt in that. What will be interesting is to see how they run though. Will plain Xbone games be upscaled to 4K (much like 360 games are). Will games with Xbone X enhancements run that version instead.

Soldato
Phil is such a troll. He knows Scarlett is not finished - he's either talking **** OR he is using a devkit OR he is just using a PC running the Xbox OS so it can boot Xbox games

Caporegime
OP
Surely it is finished though? Or mostly. The APU has to be done and dusted so that manufacturing can start - they have to start in Feb/March to have enough units for launch in November.

Soldato
Surely it is finished though? Or mostly. The APU has to be done and dusted so that manufacturing can start - they have to start in Feb/March to have enough units for launch in November.

If the APU is done, then RDNA 2 is done, next gen Navi is done and AMD is holding out on us and letting Nvidia take their candy (marketshare) for no reason.

Associate
Problem with Xbox is they don’t have any first-party titles that are real must haves for. Loved the Xbox 360 mind you.

Soldato
When you look at what happened with the One, it was chaos. They restructured a bunch of studios and put them on Kinect games. Then when Kinect failed, they cancelled the games and shut most of the studios (Rare being the exception). They had to find new studios for Halo and Gears, and those studios then failed to really move the franchises forward. Crackdown 3 and Fable Legends went through development hell, with the latter being eventually cancelled and the former being really poor. Many of the problems with those two games can be traced to a flight of talent and key people from the studios.

After the closures, Microsoft had 343 (Halo), Black Tusk/The Coalition (Gears), Rare (Sea of Thieves), Turn 10 (Forza Motorsport), Mojang (Minecraft) and Undead Labs (State of Decay) left. So pretty much every developer (bar Rare) was tied to a running franchise. But they've since bought a bunch of studios, and opened some new ones:

Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)
Double Fine (Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend)
inXile Entertainment (Wasteland, The Bard's Tale)
Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword, Hellblade)
Obsidian Entertainment (FO: New Vegas, The Outer Worlds)
Playground Games (Forza Horizon)
The Initiative (new, unannounced game)
World's Edge (new, Age of Empires)

Assuming they don't do something stupid again, it seems unlikely the next console will have the same problems that the One had.

Last edited:
Associate
I see all the Lockhart rumours have resurfaced again, I just cannot see the point in splitting the user base up from day 1, I get the idea of offering full fat Scarlett games at 4k 60 with bells & whistles and then "budget" versions on the Lockhart at 1080p 60 with no Ray Tracing etc, but the line we used to draw to define what is next gen is getting blurred

Man of Honour
I see all the Lockhart rumours have resurfaced again, I just cannot see the point in splitting the user base up from day 1, I get the idea of offering full fat Scarlett games at 4k 60 with bells & whistles and then "budget" versions on the Lockhart at 1080p 60 with no Ray Tracing etc, but the line we used to draw to define what is next gen is getting blurred

The GPU is the only real difference, which only affects the resolution and potential frame rate of games.

The underlying CPU, SSD ,and RAM should all be more or less the same (give or take a little based on running games at lower/higher resolutions just like the XBox One S/X) so the core games that rely on having those performance increases will work on both new consoles and not the One X.

Permabanned
Looks like Microsoft will use Arcturus, while Sony Navi.
Wonder what the differences will be between these two.

This is solid:

AMD-Arcturus-in-Xbox-Next-gen.png

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-vs-xbox-scarlett-lets-compare-next-gen-console/1100-6470431/

Arcturus12.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/al5nou/possible_leak_for_xbox_scarlett_detailed_specs/

Arcturus, designation α Boötis (Latinized to Alpha Boötis, abbreviated Alpha Boo, α Boo), is the brightest star in the constellation of Boötes, the fourth-brightest in the night sky, and the brightest in the northern celestial hemisphere. Together with Spica and Denebola (or Regulus, depending on the source), Arcturus is part of the Spring Triangle asterism and, by extension, also of the Great Diamond along with the star Cor Caroli.

Relatively close at 36.7 light-years from the Sun, Arcturus is a red giant of spectral type K0III—an ageing star around 7.1 billion years old that has used up its core hydrogen and moved off the main sequence. It is 1.08±0.06 times as massive as the Sun, but has expanded to 25.4±0.2 times its diameter and is around 170 times as luminous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcturus

Gamma Cassiopeiae, Latinized from γ Cassiopeiae, is a star at the center of the distinctive "W" asterism in the northern circumpolar constellation of Cassiopeia. Although it is a fairly bright star with an apparent visual magnitude that varies from 1.6 to 3.0, it has no traditional Arabic or Latin name. It sometimes goes by the informal name Navi.

Gamma Cassiopeiae is a Be star, a variable star, and a binary star system. Based upon parallax measurements made by the Hipparcos satellite, it is located at a distance of roughly 550 light-years from Earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_Cassiopeiae

Man of Honour
Caporegime
OP
Here's what Windows Central are forecasting...

Codename Anaconda (pricey Xbox) = 12TF GPU, 8 core Zen 2 @ 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM (13GB available), SSD
Codename Lockhart (cheapy Xbox) = 4TF GPU, 8 core Zen 2 @ 3.5GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-scarlett-anaconda-lockhart-specs

And there's rumours flying round that Microsoft may reveal the consoles (i.e. a big teaser) at the Game Awards on Thursday, hosted at the Microsoft Theater in LA. But I'd take that with a big pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Associate
People just repeat the rumour of something happening at the next gaming event over and over til eventually they get it right.

And didn't that ama on Reddit already confirm that it was only some games being revealed?

Associate
I think the best thing about the Windows Central leak is what they're saying about Xcloud and streaming games whilst waiting for the local download. Having to wait for games to download or install even from the disc has probably been of the most annoying things about this gen.

Back
Top Bottom