• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I'm sure there will still be speed benefits even if the games are stored on a USB 3 external drive.

Most pc gamers dont have all their games on the SSD, just the system os and a few games. They are getting cheaper though so that is changing
The games won’t run from a USB drive.

Caporegime
OP
Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xb...y-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

I think it was pretty much a given that it wouldn’t run Xbox One X versions of games given the RAM discrepancy.

Soldato
https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xb...y-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

I think it was pretty much a given that it wouldn’t run Xbox One X versions of games given the RAM discrepancy.

This would put me off considering an Xbox series S and I was pretty keen on it until I read that.

If it can't run current gen games in 4k to match the Xbox one X that's seriously disappointing IMO.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...es-xbox-one-s-mode-improvements-rather-x-mode

Permabanned
Man of Honour
Caporegime
OP
Yeah, if it wasn't for the shortage of RAM, I would fully expect the XSS to play the Xbone games in Xbone X mode. Heck, I even expected some kind of technical trickery to workaround that missing 1GB of RAM.

Soldato
I still feel it's reasonable to expect that it should be able to match the current Xbox one X though.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation IMO.

It doesn't have enough RAM.

Also having a bit of a wobble over this. It'll come down to what the Series S enhancements are like. There are some 360 games that were enhanced for One X that I would love to play again.

Soldato
The most important thing for me is that hte Series X can game stream at 4K/60! I don't often get access to the main TV (Sony 4K unit) but I do have Android Devices and laptops which I currently stream my PC to. The ability to stream a game at full resolution/fps is massive and will make the Series X my daily game driver and not my PC... My PC is a 4th Gen Xeon E3 and GTX 1070; a lot of money to update compared to $799NZD for the Series X and I can use all my xbox one x games etc. with it too.

Soldato
Is there any concensus on the I/O differences between SX and PS5 and what it will mean in real life performance?

I can't help feeling that the PS5 spec on that front is a little OTT. Clever marketing ploy or can Sony really utilise that amount of bandwidth to improve more than asset load times?

For me the SX seems to have the better overall package, but as with above discussions, for both consoles I am concerned about development being held back so games can also be released on previous gens (and the SS).

Caporegime
OP
Is there any concensus on the I/O differences between SX and PS5 and what it will mean in real life performance?

We don’t know anything like that. It will all come down to Digital Foundry doing a comparison of Assassins Creed Valhalla, Watch Dog Legions and Dirt 5. I thInk they are the only multiplat launch titles.

Soldato
I still feel it's reasonable to expect that it should be able to match the current Xbox one X though.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation IMO.

I think MS are being smart here. If you want 4k then get series x. If you are happy with 1080 or 1440 get the S and save £200. Remember - not everyone has a 4k TV.

Why do you feel it is reasonable to expect to buy a next gen console for less than the x1x is selling for and for it to match the x1x performance?

Associate
We don’t know anything like that. It will all come down to Digital Foundry doing a comparison of Assassins Creed Valhalla, Watch Dog Legions and Dirt 5. I thInk they are the only multiplat launch titles.

I think the differences are going to be small in terms of s/ms, raw numbers suggest ps5 ssd is twice as fast (someone will correct me I’m sure) but still both rapid as I understand it. Also the bearded guy at ms is claiming their “velocity architecture” and software closes the gap these numbers suggest is there. It won’t just come down to pure SSD speed will it?

Caveat, it’s something I’ve seen/read somewhere, honest :)
But yeah we need digital Foundry to analyse once both consoles are out. Have just heard that series x will get patch for Valhalla to 60fps 4K which is good!
Quite like the look of watch dogs too, seeing as I live in London be good to have virtual look around.

Soldato
Why do you feel it is reasonable to expect to buy a next gen console for less than the x1x is selling for and for it to match the x1x performance?

Mainly because the Xbox one X is 3 years old now. On paper the Xbox series s has better performance than the one X but it almost feels to me like Microsoft have intentionally nerfed the system so it doesn't match an Xbox one X? Microsoft should have bumped the price up slightly and added more memory so the series s could run existing titles in 4k.

I think what frustrates me personally is that if I bought a new Xbox series S I'd end up running existing titles like halo 5 and Forza horizon 4 at the same 900p they ran on my 2013 xbox one.

And while 1440p upscaled to 4k looks pretty reasonable 900p on a 50" 4k TV looks like garbage honestly! Clearly MS must figure that having the cheapest "next gen" system is their priority though and will work best for them. They might be right as many people are fearful for their jobs and probably don't have much disposable cash at the moment so perhaps it's the right system, right time at the right price.

Time, and Sony's imminent PS5 pricing announcement, will tell!

Last edited:
Associate
I read yesterday that the Xbox series X has no optical port and no support for IR. Which is a bit of a pain for me as I use both on my Xbox. The theatre kit I have is really good and the official Xbox remote control is really handy for Netflix!

I can live without the remote, but do you know how If its possible to connect my theatre kit to the Xbox seeing as it only uses a optical port?

Man of Honour
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I’m always somewhat put off playing my Xbox because of the controller. I always find I have to mash the A button to get it to work 100% of the time. It doesn’t always register my lady like soft taps. It’s never dawned on me until just now that I might just have a duff controller!

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does it sound like I have a shonky donk controller?

Also, I did that game pass exploit and have Ultimate until some time in 2022 - can that still be used on the X?

I have the PlayStation Pro and the Xbox one X and one thing I will say is that the PlayStation is a noisy beast. That fan is ridiculous. It’s like a dreamcast! Hope they sort that out.

Back
Top Bottom