• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Anyone elses Xbox just switch on in the middle of the night? No output to screen just fires up and shuts down after a time.

My wife says it's been doing it since I bought it nearly a year ago but I only heard it for the first time last night

It's in Eco mode and assume it's still checking for updates but want to make sure it's nothing more sinister

Googling brings up all sorts of stuff so wanted to ask here

Cheers

Man of Honour
Anyone elses Xbox just switch on in the middle of the night? No output to screen just fires up and shuts down after a time.

My wife says it's been doing it since I bought it nearly a year ago but I only heard it for the first time last night

It's in Eco mode and assume it's still checking for updates but want to make sure it's nothing more sinister

Cheers

You mean the fan or it switches on your tv? It’ll occasionally spin up when updating, but doesn’t switch on fully.

Soldato
You mean the fan or it switches on your tv? It’ll occasionally spin up when updating, but doesn’t switch on fully.

Just the fan can be heard because it clunks when it fires up and then runs for a bit before shutting down. There is no image on the monitor.

It's in Eco mode though so not expected behaviour from what I understand

Man of Honour
Just the fan can be heard because it clunks when it fires up and then runs for a bit before shutting down. There is no image on the monitor.

It's in Eco mode though so not expected behaviour from what I understand

No, I wouldn’t expect it to do that on eco? Maybe try instant on, it can’t be any worse than you describe. Plus with later updates it draws hardly any power now. I leave both consoles on this setting.

Soldato
No, I wouldn’t expect it to do that on eco? Maybe try instant on, it can’t be any worse than you describe. Plus with later updates it draws hardly any power now. I leave both consoles on this setting.

I just checked the update status and it did switch on to check for updates unless it checked for updates because it switched on for another reason. It's definitely in Eco mode too.

Keep my console up to date and keep my apps and games up to date are both selected maybe it's something to do with those

Caporegime
I'd say try the new cod but I wouldn't want to put you through the torture! Bf 2042 is decent when it's not crashing.

You could always join @Wyrdo and play destiny 2 for 100 hours a week? :D

It must be a free game if he's playing it so much?

I'm going to return the Series X. Going to just go back to the Xbox One. The shut downs playing only Gears are bothering me. From the Gears forum this happens to a lot of people and is only cured returning the hardware and getting another console. Which raises the following questions for me...

A. Is it software causing the problem? Maybe from quick resume?
B. Is it that Gears is the most Hardware intensive, if so when proper titles come out to stress the system will this become more widespread?

Right now all I'm getting out of this console is faster load times, so I may as well send it back and wait for a price drop on the hardware. As I pretty much only play Gears consistently, having a console that shuts itself down isn't for me!

Associate

Cheers

Yes mine occasionally spins up in the middle of the night as well for a minute or so, I assume its to do with updates its downloaded. Mines in instant on mode though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Returned to the Series X today, mainly to play Halo and use GPU. I considered a gaming PC but the value just isn't there for me. For £449 the Series X is a very good gaming machine, especially hooked up to my LG 65 CX.

Soldato
Yes mine occasionally spins up in the middle of the night as well for a minute or so, I assume its to do with updates its downloaded. Mines in instant on mode though.

I read into some more and it doesn't matter about the standby setting if keep console updated is ticked it will boot during the maintenance windows and check for updates

Soldato
Returned to the Series X today, mainly to play Halo and use GPU. I considered a gaming PC but the value just isn't there for me. For £449 the Series X is a very good gaming machine, especially hooked up to my LG 65 CX.

Pc gaming died for me last year when I got my Series X, it's just a rip off now and won't be returning any time soon

Man of Honour
As soon as my XSX arrived I haven't gamed on my PC once. I don't miss it either. I've completed more games since owning an XSX and now PS5 than I have for years. It just makes gaming so hassle free and fun. Although excellent value, its not even about that for me, the whole experience is just better. Switch on, quick resume into a game exactly where I left off, immediately playing, sat back on my comfy reclined chair with a climate controlled room :D

Caporegime
OP
What are you switchers doing about your existing game libraries though? Are they games you wouldn't play again or are you rebuying them on the new platform(s)? I have far too many Steam games to ditch my PC, it would cost me an arm and a leg to rebuy them.

Man of Honour
What are you switchers doing about your existing game libraries though? Are they games you wouldn't play again or are you rebuying them on the new platform(s)? I have far too many Steam games to ditch my PC, it would cost me an arm and a leg to rebuy them.

I’ve kept my PC, I still do some work on there, although even most of that I now do on my surface. There aren’t many games I go back to play. Many of my recent favourites are already on gamepass. Many of my older steam titles would be cheap in a sale to rebuy. I’m mostly looking ahead to the big new releases.

Associate
So after buying some discounted gift cards and getting £15 worth of rewards converted i ordered an Elite controller last night for just under £100.
Got the shipped message from MS and logged into my account and saw that it has already been added to my device list.
ysydK5M

Not even received it yet and they have cut 3 months of the 12 months warranty off already :cry:

I already have Microsoft Complete for my S/X and one elite is covered beyond the 12 month warranty anyway but has anybody on here seen anything like this before?

Soldato

My steam and origin accounts are in limbo and in all honesty I don't think about or miss them, I've played them all and will never have time to play any of them again because of the content on Gamepass. There is only one game I miss from PC and it's also on console but I'm waiting for the improved version to be released before I buy it again if I do, I might not bother because again there is just too much to be getting on with on Gamepass

If I buy any other platform now it'll be a PS5 exclusively for PSVR2, there is just no need to be paying crazy pc component money these days and that's if you manage to find them

Man of Honour
My steam and origin accounts are in limbo and in all honesty I don't think about or miss them, I've played them all and will never have time to play any of them again because of the content on Gamepass. There is only one game I miss from PC and it's also on console but I'm waiting for the improved version to be released before I buy it again if I do, I might not bother because again there is just too much to be getting on with on Gamepass

If I buy any other platform now it'll be a PS5 exclusively for PSVR2, there is just no need to be paying crazy pc component money these days and that's if you manage to find them

I’ve bought an XSX, a PS5 and will probably pick up PSVR2 and it still works out cheaper than a PC upgrade. Cyberpunk was the icing on the cake for me - I so nearly upgraded just for that game, but then realised that not only was it a terrible game, but the difference between XSX visuals and PC visuals added nothing to my life. It’s different to a decade or so ago where’d you’d have multiple big titles a week that would constantly push the boundaries in visuals, physics, gameplay etc. Console SSD equivalents sealed the deal for me.

Soldato
I gave Outer Wilds a quick play tonight. Man, it's jarring it being capped at 30fps after playing literally all other titles at 60fps. Think I may have to put it to one side until it hopefully gets a performance boost.

Soldato
I gave Outer Wilds a quick play tonight. Man, it's jarring it being capped at 30fps after playing literally all other titles at 60fps. Think I may have to put it to one side until it hopefully gets a performance boost.
Yeah its odd, but its still a good game. I've now hit the bug with the B button though and it not working after going in to the settings with the save game loaded.. apparently it breaks the B button and the only way to play the game is to have a keyboard connected and pressing Q instead of B... not sure of a fix... so if you're going to play it, make sure you set the settings up before you start a new game and not during!

Soldato
If you have GP; get both Ori games; the colours really pop on the CX, especially the second game.

Back
Top Bottom