1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Xbox Series X - Showcase on 23rd July, 5pm ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by ic1male, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. james.miller

Capodecina

£150/Tb? for the fastest (and proprietary) SSD ever made? i think that's extremely hopeful.

2. ic1male

Caporegime

Why what are you thinking?

3. james.miller

Capodecina

If their proprietary slot is the only way to expand the storage on the console then they have the market wrapped up and they'll charge a premium for it, just like they did with the 360 drives. I don't expect it to be any less than £200 initially but if there's zero competition then who knows? they could price it however they like.

4. Phemo

Soldato

Proprietary yes but is it the fastest SSD ever? The internal SSD is 2.4GB/sec which is of course no slouch but that's relatively standard for a PCI-E 3.0 SSD. PCI-E 4.0 SSDs are even faster at 5GB/sec plus but I'm not sure what sort of speeds they're targeting for the cards, have I missed something around that?

Bearing in mind you can get a 1TB PCI-E 3.0 SSD with 2.4GB/sec reads for around £120 I think £150-180 is perhaps possible. Albeit slightly optimistic :)

5. ic1male

Caporegime

The external carts are exactly the same as the internal one, so still 2.4GB/sec.

6. Random Guy Esq.

Mobster

I haven't really followed the XBSX details so far... What has been said about their SSD? Any "secret sauce" or custom tech like the PS5 that you know of, apart from the form factor?

7. ic1male

Caporegime

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/

Lots of info there, SSD is part of the Velocity Architecture, along with DirectStorage, Hardware Decompression and Sampler Feedback Streaming.

8. Random Guy Esq.

Mobster

9. ic1male

Caporegime

When I read that page, it makes the Xbox sound amazing. How all that will work in practice remains to be seen. It could be better than 90% of gaming PCs or it could all be Apple-esque marketing blurb.

10. Random Guy Esq.

Mobster

"Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II will be now powered by Unreal Engine 5" - DSOG

11. Noxia

Soldato

Will there be a thing where you can buy and play the same game on PC and X? Whilst initially thinking x didn't make any sense, I've rethought it after seeing the Sony show last night. Exclusives seem to be a dying thing and I'm more interested in Forza than GT and what used to tie me to Sony is now all on Xbox anyway.

12. ic1male

Caporegime

They do with first party titles now so I expect that to continue but can't see third parties getting on board and losing revenue. If anyone was going to do it, I'd expect CDPR to have announced it for Cyberpunk 2077. But it's probably a tough sell getting them to agree to giving you a Series X version if you buy an Xbone version - looking at EA as an example - let alone giving you an Xbox and PC version.

13. Noxia

Soldato

True, wishful thinking I guess.

14. Jae-So

Mobster

[​IMG]I may be back on the Series X train after seeing the PS5 console size.

Urgh my tag has gone weird.

15. TriedandTested

Capodecina

[​IMG]

16. Jae-So

Mobster

Thanks buddy. So is this a possible deal breaker for anyone else? I don't like the design or the size. I'm thinking about waiting for a potential slim.

17. MOOGLEYS

Capodecina

I would be happier if the PS5 was all black.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  18. The_One

Capodecina

With the clock speeds they are claiming cant see a slim ever coming theres no way they would be able to cool it unless it throttles all the time

19. rare

Soldato

I prefer the design of the SX, it just looks like a more serious piece of design than a toy or a gimmick.

Ideally I would like both...

20. Grim5

Suspended

mhm the Sx looks like a pc that I would just hide away or maybe not even hide cause so it's so "plain" that it won't even be noticed on an entertainMeant unit. The ps5 is designed to stand out, to be the center of attention. There are things I like about both designs and dislike about both