• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
If I go next gen, it'll be Xbox. The design appears to be far better at cooling what will be a hot chip, so will hopefully be a lot quieter (a big gripe of mine). Also it isn't an eye sore with being a plain design.

Good to know about the backwards compatibility for games and accessories, but I do hope they include even more titles than they have now.

Man of Honour
Thanks buddy. So is this a possible deal breaker for anyone else? I don't like the design or the size. I'm thinking about waiting for a potential slim.

The Japanese market are normally very size conscious so I'd be very surprised if Sony releases a console that big.

Soldato
The Japanese market are normally very size conscious so I'd be very surprised if Sony releases a console that big.
Hmm I hope we see a hardware review soon but judging by the disc drive and USB ports can't be that wrong surely? It needs to accept blurays after all.

Soldato
No and yes. Microsoft's strategy is to get their games and services on as many devices as possible now. They will never leave the PC out again.
Yeh that's the rub. I initially planned on getting a new graphics card and PS5 for exclusives, it's just so ugly lol. I know I shouldn't care but I do.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's great. Of all the next gen titles unveiled so far, PC gamers miss out on just nine games (unless you refuse to use EGS, in which case it's a lot more than nine games).

Man of Honour
No and yes. Microsoft's strategy is to get their games and services on as many devices as possible now. They will never leave the PC out again.

Yeh that's the rub. I initially planned on getting a new graphics card and PS5 for exclusives, it's just so ugly lol. I know I shouldn't car but I do.

I think it's great. Of all the next gen titles unveiled so far, PC gamers miss out on just nine games (unless you refuse to use EGS, in which case it's a lot more than nine games).

I think that’s what’s swaying me towards PS5. I’ve got a very good PC already. Feel like I’d just be kind of buying the same thing with an XB and it would just end up gathering dust.

This is the real genius of Microsoft's plan. While Sony will lose a lot of money on every PS5 sold and have to sell a number of games just to break even, every gamer who decides to not buy a XSX and use Game Pass or buy MS titles from Steam on the PC instead gives MS pure profit immediately.

No wonder Sony are slowly following the strategy.

Soldato
I think that’s what’s swaying me towards PS5. I’ve got a very good PC already. Feel like I’d just be kind of buying the same thing with an XB and it would just end up gathering dust.

It's what's swaying me toward buying neither (for now) :p

If I bought a PS5, it would be for Spider Man, Jack & Daxter and Horizon. Not really enough to justify spending £400-£600 on a console.

I'm intrigued to see how "Project Lockhart" turns out though. At the right price, I could be tempted to upgrade my One S "Game Pass Machine" to a next-gen equivalent.

Caporegime
OP
The thing that keeps me intrigued about the Xbox though is that it sounds like it can punch above its weight with all these fancy-sounding features it's got - Dynamic Input Latency, Variable Rate Shading, Sampler Feedback Streaming, etc. I just don't know whether it's worth spending 3x as much on a PC (mine really needs to be gutted and started again) if the XSX is going to do 60fps gaming... mostly. That might be a trade-off I'm willing to take for a few years at least until beastly PC tech trickles down to a cheaper level.

I'm just watching the Digital Foundry video on the PS5 event, they seem to think all the first party games from Sony will be 4K30, going for graphics instead of frame rate. With the Xbox, it seems the extra power could do 4K60 and when you read about the lower latency for the controller (why have that if you are not aiming for a higher frame rate) it does sound like it might end up being my multiplatform (and main) console with PS5 for exclusives only. A reversal of this gen.

Man of Honour
I'm hoping many games have a 1440p120 option, as 4k resolution cannot be resolved by the human eye and most people's viewing distances but 60 -> 120 fps is a very noticeable change.

Caporegime
OP
I'm hoping many games have a 1440p120 option, as 4k resolution cannot be resolved by the human eye and most people's viewing distances but 60 -> 120 fps is a very noticeable change.

I think that could happen, especially on Xbox as they are making a song and dance about 120fps and every bit of input latency would count there. But with those techniques I mentioned, dynamic 4K120 with VRR could even be a thing. It's a shame there are such things as development times and budgets that scupper ambitions. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Soldato
The thing that keeps me intrigued about the Xbox though is that it sounds like it can punch above its weight with all these fancy-sounding features it's got - Dynamic Input Latency, Variable Rate Shading, Sampler Feedback Streaming, etc. I just don't know whether it's worth spending 3x as much on a PC (mine really needs to be gutted and started again) if the XSX is going to do 60fps gaming... mostly. That might be a trade-off I'm willing to take for a few years at least until beastly PC tech trickles down to a cheaper level.

I'm just watching the Digital Foundry video on the PS5 event, they seem to think all the first party games from Sony will be 4K30, going for graphics instead of frame rate. With the Xbox, it seems the extra power could do 4K60 and when you read about the lower latency for the controller (why have that if you are not aiming for a higher frame rate) it does sound like it might end up being my multiplatform (and main) console with PS5 for exclusives only. A reversal of this gen.

Sony first party will do graphics focus & 30 fps, with performance modes sometimes (like in Demon's Souls case). MS 1st party has been more 60 fps focused even in this generation, so it's more likely we see that going forward again. Multiplatform's gonna be luck of the draw, as always, but I'd bet most studios will also focus on graphics & 30 fps unless it's an FPS or generally multiplayer focused.

If your PC really has nothing salvageable then getting an XSX and selling it a few years later (consoles don't lose value much) when you can build a PC for cheaper is not a bad idea at all, in fact I thought about it too but for me I just need a new GPU & SSD mainly, so I'd rather do that. Though do keep in mind there's a lot of costs not immediately obvious with consoles that can add up & even tho the PC can cost more initially there's a lot of wiggle room and it's completely realistic that if you built even today there'd be a majority of components that you'd be able to keep even going into the generation after what's coming now. Really the only thing you'd not be able to use comfortably for 10 years is the GPU. It's very simple to build a killer system for little money if you're a tiny bit clever about it, but a lot of people get lost in the weeds and end up overspending obscenely (like £20 fans, or £100+ cases when there's people literally giving cases away etc).

Soldato
Still not decided on what console to get, likely the SX, just feel like with all the new studios MS have bought they could have some nice games in the future. Will there be another Microsoft event showcasing the series X and new games?

Caporegime
OP
Still not decided on what console to get, likely the SX, just feel like with all the new studios MS have bought they could have some nice games in the future. Will there be another Microsoft event showcasing the series X and new games?

There's the big first party event in July. I'm really interested to see what "The Initiative" are doing.

Back
Top Bottom