XC MTB Racing - How to?

Associate
What is the best way to get started in XC MTB racing from a beginners level? I'm in my mid 30s so I'm coming to this fairly late - I've not done any bike racing before. I live in Yorkshire for some geolocation context.

I have managed to find a couple of websites that seem to suggest anyone can come along providing they can ride a bike and have a basic capability to get themselves moving again if they have a mechanical.

Looking around OcUK (I did do a search) it seems there are at least a few people who race or have a keen interest in racing MTBs.

Can anyone help me out with some basic info or point me in the direction of some good reading/viewing material on XC MTB racing.

Much appreciated.

Soldato
I did some XC racing 5 years ago in the Midlands XC Series. It consisted of 5 races across the Midlands area with 4 categories of ability - Open, Sport, Elite and under 16's. This Series was the feeder for the National XC races and often the top UK riders would compete in the events.

The 'open' category was the beginner group and usually they did 1 lap less than the Sport group.

My advice for racing would be to go at your own pace. It's easy to get sucked into sprinting to keep up with the front group leading to you suffering towards the end of the event.

The elite riders take it very seriously - with rollers to warm up pre-event and support crews for mechanical's etc..

Back
Top Bottom