XCOM Board Game

Man of Honour
OP
I had a look at this, It just doesn't seem to sit well with me, I am not sure why but it just doesn't.

I'm coming at it from the angle of someone that has only a passing knowledge of the computer games - were you more into them? I get the impression that it's more of a respectful nod to XCOM rather than a reproduction.

Or is the the requirement for an app side of things? I was put off by that but it does sound like it makes for an interesting game.

Soldato
Here's a few pics as promised...

pNiJySr.jpg

3V7Jdnt.jpg

There's no rulebook in the box! Instead, you're directed towards the app. Apparently there's a tutorial included in it.

Man of Honour
OP
To be honest most rulebooks in games can be pretty vague/badly worded too. I imagine for this I'd play through a tutorial game where I was the only player (or emulated two) by myself to get a feel for it.

Associate
To be honest most rulebooks in games can be pretty vague/badly worded too. I imagine for this I'd play through a tutorial game where I was the only player (or emulated two) by myself to get a feel for it.

True, though Fantasy Flight's rule books over the last year so (since Eldritch Horror with the 2 book system) have been some of the best. I suppose you could treat the tutorial as the quick start and the in game rule book as the reference, but it still feels like in a couple of places it leaves out key information and the rule book is a less useful reference.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd prefer to have a rule book in addition to the tutorial too tbh - though that's just based on me wanting to have some kind of written reference as that's what I'm used to.

Soldato
Sorry thought I had replied yesterday but turns out I did not. I was a massive fan of the games and have played them all but looked at the board game with an open mind. Admittedly I have only seen the preview plays and am waiting for some proper reviews before I decide if I want it or not.

Soldato
Got to play XCOM over the weekend. The tutorial is very much needed as the game has a lot of moving parts. Each player only needs to concentrate on their own mini-game but it takes a couple of turns to understand the game. First (tutorial) game took us 2 hours to play through. Subsequent games took about an hour.

I pretty much agree with the Shut Up & Sit Down review. It's a good but not great game that will appeal mostly to existing XCOM fans. It really makes me want to go back and play the PC game more.

Soldato
^ This
Played earlier and the first part is quite sedate. Then the timer comes into play and you have 20 seconds or so to decide what you are doing and allocate resources. It's hectic stuff but I really enjoyed it.
Teamwork is essential and the mechanics work quite well.
We won the mission eventually and intend to play again tomorrow now we know what's involved.

Must play PC game again.

Back
Top Bottom