• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

xeon E5-2643v3 vs i7-4790k

Soldato
i have picked up a workstation for free, it has dual xeon 128gb ECC DDR4,

I have the motherboard below, so wondering what would a single one of these be like with 64gb ram (i also have spare 16gb DDR4 2400 quad kit) for gaming? can it be overclocked with ECC ram?

Associate
What board would you be using? The 4790K is LGA 1150, whereas the E5-2643v3 is LGA 2011v3.

I would have thought it would behave in similar way to my 5930K at stock speeds. I get solid performance in everything I play, even at stock speeds.

With 32GB of RAM, my system is overkill for gaming. If you plan on using it for work and gaming, then depending on your line of work the Xeon would be better. The Xeon will be better at CAD, rendering, anything memory/multi-thread intensive with 6c/12t whereas the 4790K will be better at single-threaded applications because it's faster.

Soldato
Those Xeon's appear to use the FCLGA 2011-3 socket after looking on Intel ARK so that would require an X99 motherboard to run in an ATX system. The Xeon's are usually clock locked and the RAM will default to 1833MHz if the ECC RAM even runs in an X99 board.

If the processors are working and not Engineering samples they are worth a fair penny on their own.

Caporegime
Only the server chipsets support ECC memory and they don't support overclocking, you might be able to overclock on X99 using the BCLK strap but ECC won't work.

You might be better off putting the whole server on Ebay rather than dismantling it, assuming you can find a buyer you could probably buy an 8 core consumer chip and still be in profit.

Soldato
OP
w
Only the server chipsets support ECC memory and they don't support overclocking, you might be able to overclock on X99 using the BCLK strap but ECC won't work.

You might be better off putting the whole server on Ebay rather than dismantling it, assuming you can find a buyer you could probably buy an 8 core consumer chip and still be in profit.

workstation is still functional, it had 2x CPUs and i left 64gb RAM in it

Soldato
I just bought a pretty mean Xeon with rather big teeth for £369 (see sig). 14 core 28T @ 2.8ghz. Which is pretty high for a Xeon. Got mine in a MSI X99 SLi Plus I got for £117. Pretty much batters anything I feed it :D

Back
Top Bottom