XFX 790i Ultra SLI

Associate
Working fine here, also bluiding another 790i rig just bought an evga 790i to see whats different, but its still the same mobo just different stickers and box lol :)

gotta need this p05 soon to overclock, you know they thing that nvidia was mean't to test before shipping :) cute.

Associate
OP
i'm still having problems with this board, whether it be my memory or PSU i dont know? my spec is in my sig, it should all be compatible should'nt it? i just cant get the damn thing to boot past the XFX screen. keep getting C1 (test CMOS and check battery) or it normally just sticks on 65 (special treatment to ps2 mouse port). :/

Associate
I would guess that it may be your RAM. Your RAM has a voltage of 1.85 and DDR3 default is 1.4-1.5. I know a lot of people who bought cellshock RAM and had to get cheap RAM just to get into the BIOS and then up the voltage on the RAM, before swapping the RAM out for the CellShock RAM. I bought some cheap Corsair DDR3 Ram that was specifically stated as 1.5 as it is only a stopgap until DDR3 prices come down. Worked a treat and is this RAM :

2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24. Cost about £70.

Hope this Helps.

Associate
OP
but surely wouldn't the tech guy on the phone have said this to me? instead of giving me yet another RMA. i seem to be wasting money like it was plain paper. i too read that somewhere, he has suggested maybe going for the eVGA version. or do you think maybe getting some cheap DDR3?

Associate
Not sure, I don't know how good the tech guy was. Also, you may find that with the latest BIOS that the issue is fixed. I'm not sure as I have this RAM and its been plain sailing. I'm currently on BIOS P04, which has a lot of added features and fixes and brings the board to life. I doubt the EVGA will make that much difference as its the same reference board, the only one that is different is the Asus, which is more expensive as it has load line calibration. I followed the xtremesystems.org thread before buying, so I knew about this issue from the outset. It does seem like the RAM could be the cause as it's not being supplied with ample voltage. That would be my guess, for what it's worth, anyway.

Associate
No Problem, hope it works for you. It's a great board and I think you'll find that the RAM will probably fix the problem. Just make sure it's stated at 1.5Volts.

Cheers,

Blue

Associate
OP
this is the spec of the RAM i'm looking at, think it'll do the trick:

Kingston ValueRAM Memory - 512 MB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1066 MHz - CL7 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC (A0205824)

yea i hope it is the problem too. its really depressing not having a PC, and getting excited when the RMA comes back to be disappointed again. :( lol. Once the PSU is here and the memory, there isn't much else that can be wrong with it and it must be down to faulty parts again. *sigh*

Associate
tbh that sux, I can't beleive you have to fork out of your own money an buy a stick of ram just to get into the bios to up the voltage.

Is this something you can't ask OcUK to do before they send you the board back?

Surely they must have a spare stick lying around that they can use?

Soldato
This ram voltage issue is apparently 'being fixed' with a bios update by evga, i assume xfx will follow suit, as the only difference between boards is the warranty offered (ie, you'll get the replacement back in a decent time with EVGA, and in 3 months with XFX :D;))

Associate
OP
just a note to bluesouljah

the RAM worked perfect mate, popped in my lower rated KVR 512 and it booted fine, changed the voltage and timings to accomodate the OCZ ReaperX and im currently loading Vista on it now. thanks for all your help, hope that other people can learn from this. ;)

Associate
Good stuff , glad it's all working. As I saw, it's a great board, just waiting for 9900GTXs to appear. One thing I noticed recently was that the Corsair RAM was not running at 1333, but 1066. I saw on the site that it would run 1333 at 1.7 at different timings. So, just check you RAM is running at what you expect it to run at when you're up and running. You may have to tap the values in manually in the bios if running unlinked. Also, stick on the P04 BIOS, its a lot better than the P03 BIOS.

Cheers,

Blue

Last edited:
Associate
OP
its currently on the original BIOS, and have already set up the manual timings for my RAM. ;) just about to play around with overclocking it slightly. But need to sort out my PSU and Vista problem 1st.

Back
Top Bottom