• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX RX 580 Bios Question

Associate
I bought a XFX RX-580P8D second hand yesterday. The guy claimed it wasn't used for mining. I installed the latest drivers and set all to default. Gamed a couple of hours last night and everything seemed fine. This morning after an hour I got a grey screen freeze. I look into it and the default clocks in WattMan are all wrong: max clock GPU was at 1200Mhz instead of default 1366 and memory was at 2150 instead of maximum 2025 (default 2000). I try to lower the memory to 2025 but the lowest it will go is 2050. The movement from 1200 to default 1366 is 12% "overclock" and I lower memory to 2050. I test with Furmark and Unigine for a couple of hours and everything works fine.
Question 1: What's with the clocks? There is a similar question here: https://community.amd.com/thread/234029 but no mention of memory.

So I look around more and it seems XFX has dual bios, one for mining. I switch to another BIOS and the default clocks are 1150 for CPU and 2100 for memory. So I guess that's the mining BIOS.
Question 2: Could it be the card was used for mining, and the BIOS for gaming was flashed to some BIOS for mining (without using the mining BIOS) and left like that? These don't seem like normal clocks. If anyone has this card, what are the default clocks? I could find the default BIOS online but I don't want to flash BIOS just to check it...

Associate
OP
OK, so I found this (don't know how I missed it before).
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=XFX&model=RX+580
So there seem to be 2 bioses for the "core" version (I guess that's mine).
1. 1366 / 2000 = Default, expected clocks.
2. 1150 / 2100 matching the miners bios.

The card has a physical switch for the mining/gaming bios.

So this looks like a smoking gun. Somebody flashed the gaming bios to the mining bios.

Could this be interpreted in another way?

Back
Top Bottom