Xonar d2x fried?

Associate
Hello guys,
been using this baby since i build my rig back in 2009. Yesterday, i pulled my headphone plug out and connected my creative speakers, and now my sound card don't want to increase sound, it's the same level if i set it up at 2% or 92%, only one side is playing for me is right side. The only way i can get both speakers work is if i won't put jack fully into sound cards socket. So is it that my connector on sound card failed? if so, can i just re-solder it?
i'm gutted now, i never listened to integrated SD, nor i want to do it now. I all ready checked on bay and there is same card for ok money, i wouldn't mind getting that one, as mine one served me good, and i liked the way it was working. Or is there something better now for up to 100£ to buy?

Associate
Hi dude...I too had one of them in my original build. I upgraded to the soundblaster X. Well I thought it was an upgrade....I just could not get on with it compared to my Asus. In the end I sold my soundblaster and got the xonar u7. I've had that nearly 3 Years now and it's been great..Added bonus is ots external so no interference. This is just my experience I know something say it's poop but it does what I want and I think it's well within your budget.

Soldato
Of course connector's soldering to PCB or its internal structure might have failed when switching plugs.
But again volume staying same, no matter what you do hints also to some kind electronics failure.
Because plain contact problem should cause intermittent problem along with the usual crackling/popping etc of bad contact.

Some kind driver/software error might cause stuck volume, but I assume you've tried booting machine.
And anyway plug's position in socket shouldn't affect software.
While electronics failure shouldn't be affected by it neither.

So sounds like rather messy problem, or multiple problems.

Especially for headphone gaming I would put Creatives well ahead of Xonars.
SBX Pro Surround doesn't suffer from Dolby Headphone's bass bloat/tiled bathroom sound echo.

Sound Blaster Z would be very good for its price.
Bulk/OEM version without flashy retail package, microphone or that basically cosmetic "shield" is even cheaper.

It has also separate headphones and line out connectors.
So both headphones and speakers can be kept connected and switch between them made in software instead of unplugging/plugging wires.
SBZ Switcher can be used to automate also change of other software settings with output:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/

And looking motherboard PCIEX8_2 slot would be best position for sound card.
PCI-e x1 slots are inhot position above graphics cards which isn't good for long term reliability.

Added bonus is ots external so no interference.
Unless only connection to PC is optical (or wireless) there's no guarantee for zero interference.
Some people have had to get USB isolators to get rid of bad interference when switching to fashionable USB "DACs".
Only certain advantage external sound card has is being easy to move between two computers.

Associate
Of course connector's soldering to PCB or its internal structure might have failed when switching plugs.
But again volume staying same, no matter what you do hints also to some kind electronics failure.
Because plain contact problem should cause intermittent problem along with the usual crackling/popping etc of bad contact.

Some kind driver/software error might cause stuck volume, but I assume you've tried booting machine.
And anyway plug's position in socket shouldn't affect software.
While electronics failure shouldn't be affected by it neither.

So sounds like rather messy problem, or multiple problems.

Especially for headphone gaming I would put Creatives well ahead of Xonars.
SBX Pro Surround doesn't suffer from Dolby Headphone's bass bloat/tiled bathroom sound echo.

Sound Blaster Z would be very good for its price.
Bulk/OEM version without flashy retail package, microphone or that basically cosmetic "shield" is even cheaper.

It has also separate headphones and line out connectors.
So both headphones and speakers can be kept connected and switch between them made in software instead of unplugging/plugging wires.
SBZ Switcher can be used to automate also change of other software settings with output:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/

And looking motherboard PCIEX8_2 slot would be best position for sound card.
PCI-e x1 slots are inhot position above graphics cards which isn't good for long term reliability.

Unless only connection to PC is optical (or wireless) there's no guarantee for zero interference.
Some people have had to get USB isolators to get rid of bad interference when switching to fashionable USB "DACs".
Only certain advantage external sound card has is being easy to move between two computers.

Obviously you are a lot more teched up than me and I can only speak from experience but I found the soundblaster much more difficult to get a good sound when gaming compared to the Asus card. Like I said 3 years with the xonar and no issues and very easy set up.

Associate
OP
While increasing volume, left side starts working. But volume on right sideis all ways stuck on full. I even can't check my card on any other of my machines as none of them has got a floppy power connector. I will try to reinstall drivers, maybe that will help.
Back in the days when i was building my machine as was choosing between Creative and Asus, and now, i still don't want to look that way. Back in the days had few of them, they were good also. But I like music, gaming is not that important any more, though Asus is a good card for gaming as well. If my asus won't come back to life i'll just buy another one i saw today.

Soldato
While increasing volume, left side starts working. But volume on right sideis all ways stuck on full.
Well that sure is some weird symptoms.
I mean speaker "waking up" with increased volume in car/tractor with bad connection somewhere isn't new.
But that other channel having stuck volume doesn't fit to that at all.
With driver support of Asus being in so and so you might want to check Uni Xonar drivers.
But again symptoms aren't exactly sense making for driver problem.

Soldato
While increasing volume, left side starts working. But volume on right sideis all ways stuck on full. I even can't check my card on any other of my machines as none of them has got a floppy power connector. I will try to reinstall drivers, maybe that will help.
Back in the days when i was building my machine as was choosing between Creative and Asus, and now, i still don't want to look that way. Back in the days had few of them, they were good also. But I like music, gaming is not that important any more, though Asus is a good card for gaming as well. If my asus won't come back to life i'll just buy another one i saw today.
Reinstall the drivers. I had the same issue with my D2 after a recent win10 update.

Back
Top Bottom