Xonar U7 Problem

Caporegime
The background (from another thread)

Mines just died :(

For a while it hasn't been coming on on startup odd time, so just unplugged and replugged, and its come back on, so changed USB ports, was fine for a bit, then just started doing it again, now, its totally gone, even when pressing the button on the top, it just double clicks, like its coming on, and going straight back off (LED also flashes).

Well this is very odd, i remembered i had a self powered USB hub somewhere, so i dug it out, and plugged it into that, bugger came on straight away, so tried it back in me rig, and back to double-clicky off/on, only works in the self powered hub now. :confused:

Now to the problem, i set it back up lead wise (as i was using the onboard), seen as it works fine through my self powered hub, but now, i can't change the speaker settings to 5.1, and when i go to the windows sound, ive only got 2 stereo speakers, so i uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, but still, only stereo, and no way of changing to 5.1, also, the Dobly Home Theatre, can't be activated, its just greyed out in the sys. stray, saying its off.

Any ideas, or does it sound like something else is buggered on it, and the prob isn't just a unable to power it up from my rig now ?

Im sure ive got the leads back in it correctly, and even if i take them out, and swap them around, it makes no difference.

EDIT: Got the Dolby Home Theatre on, did it through the U7 panel, so im just unable to get 5.1.

EDIT2: Just checked the manual (online), and it seems ive got a load of options missing (forgot whats in, as been long time since ive been in it), when i right-click on the speaker icon in the U7 panel.

Only got these.

Xonar_Panel.jpg

Manual says i should have these (even some across the top are missing), and i do remember them being there before now.

Xonar_Panel_Manual.jpg

Could it be my ancient HUB, as may only be USB1 or something, ive had it that many years. :p

(then again, windows reports my Xonars working properly).

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Shot of windows only showing Stereo too, and no 5.1.

Windows_Sound_config.jpg

EDIT:

Re-enabled my onboard Auido, and 5.1 selected, and working fine.

Onboard_Audio.jpg

:confused:

Buggered Xonar ? or ancient HUB ?

Last edited:
Soldato
There was someone else with a U7 that appeared to have a fault. His got to the point where it would only show any signs of life if plugged into a USB mains charger. Just found that thread and noticed you posted when yours was working fine. Someone else had 2 that failed.

Possible issues with USB 3 or Windows 10. If you're using 10, try a 7 or 8.1 machine if you can. If it does the same on 7/8.1 and being connected to USB 2, then I'd say it's most likely borked. :(

With a few of these failing on people, looks like it's time recommend people buy a Creative instead if they want an external sound card; or just buy a DAC instead. Much less hassle. :p of course, does depends on what features people want..

Caporegime
OP
There was someone else with a U7 that appeared to have a fault. His got to the point where it would only show any signs of life if plugged into a USB mains charger. Just found that thread and noticed you posted when yours was working fine. Someone else had 2 that failed.

Possible issues with USB 3 or Windows 10. If you're using 10, try a 7 or 8.1 machine if you can. If it does the same on 7/8.1 and being connected to USB 2, then I'd say it's most likely borked. :(

With a few of these failing on people, looks like it's time recommend people buy a Creative instead if they want an external sound card; or just buy a DAC instead. Much less hassle. :p of course, does depends on what features people want..

Im still on Windows 7, forgot to say :p, ive read about, and there does seem to be a few that have failed, ive had Creative cards in the past, and the drivers were absolute gash, so i don't fancy trying another one of em :D

I may just try another one of these, as it does seem that its more than an unable to be powered now from the USB port on my rig, and with the 5.1 being selectable and usuable with my onboard enabled, its looking that way.

Soldato
Well good to hear that there's no issue with anything other than the old one and the new one is working as expected, but it's a shame these don't last as long as they should do.

Caporegime
OP
Well good to hear that there's no issue with anything other than the old one and the new one is working as expected, but it's a shame these don't last as long as they should do.

Thanks, and yeah, they don't seem to last for long, not even had it 2 and half years yet, oh well, we'll see how long the new one lasts :p

Back
Top Bottom