Христос се роди - Merry Othodox Xmas

Permabanned
Some Othodox Christian churches celebrate on the 7th rather than the 25th because they still use the Julian Calendar. Russia is one of these.

The OP is speaking Serbian who also celebrate today.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some Othodox Christian churches celebrate on the 7th rather than the 25th because they still use the Julian Calendar. Russia is one of these.

Gregorian Calendar I believe you will find :p

Although there is still debate over whether it's the 6th or 7th between the various branches of Orthodoxy but we won't get into that it's rather complicated.

Soldato
Aye, strangely i thought Old Christmas Day was the 6th, but I guess therre is always variation.
Like the muslim sects and their definity of hari rai and eid.

Permabanned

Although there is still debate over whether it's the 6th or 7th between the various branches of Orthodoxy but we won't get into that it's rather complicated.

Liturgically they use the Julian Calendar to work out Christmas. We use the Gregorian Calendar, hence the difference in dates. Some others use the revised Julian Calendar which coincides with the Gregorian more closely, Greece being among them.

Last edited:
Soldato

Eh? Don't we (in the west) use the Gregorian Calender?

P.S. In before anyone else, the only reason we celebrate on the 25th anyway is because that was already an established pagan holiday long before Christianity. No one actually knows when Jesus was born (all that scripture and you'd think they would have at least included that detail)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm Greek Orthodox :)

We normally celebrate the Epiphany which is today. However, as a family we tend to just follow the CoE as it's just easier in this country. :)

Easter is the biggest celebration in the Orthodox calendar, Christmas is less important.

Happy Epiphany OP :)

Associate
It's "Christ Is Born" in Serbian

the traditional reply would be Vaistinu se Rodi (Ваистину се роди) - "It is true, he has been born."

Ah interesting. I thought it must be to do with birth since "given birth" is rodila (f) in Russian. Though роди sounds like "rad" which is short for "joy/happy/glad".

At Easter Russians say Христос воскрес (Christ Resurrected).

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom