XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir / Pump Combo V2 - Sata Powered

Associate
So I am moving along with getting my components together for my first ever water loop!

So far I've got a XSPC TX360 radiator (needed this for the 'side' fitting on a Lian Li PC-011D), my fans which are Noctua Chromax NF-F12 fans and some of the fittings - XSPC 3/8 ID 5/8 OD matte black V2 compression fittings.

Today I've ordered the coolant, a fill bottle, couple of blanking plugs for my drain loop and the tubing - I went for:
  • Mayhems Ultra Clear Watercooling Tubing (3/8 - 5/8) 16/10mm - 1m
  • EK Water Blocks Filling Bottle (1000mL)
  • XSPC G1/4" Stop Plug - (Matte Black) V2
  • XSPC EC6 Coolant Blue UV 1L
I've ordered 5m of the tubing as this is my first loop and I expect to balls it up! If I don't, it's spare!

Now I'm considering the pump, reservoir and waterblock for the CPU, I've got a 2700X.

For the pump/res I was thinking of the XSPC D5 Photon 270 combo, the V2 version as that takes power via a SATA connection and not a molex:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-d5-photon-270-reservoir-pump-combo-v2-sata-power-wc-43p-xs.html

At some point in the future I will add another radiator, so whatever I get now will ideally cope with two rads - hence thinking I need the D5 pump and not a DDC.

This afternoon I cleaned the TX360 radiator out in readiness :)

Associate
OP
Soldato
A few horror stories that I have been reading online about their non-existent aftersales service, problems with the VPP755 pump that I was considering.

Think it's going to be either the XSPC option above or perhaps the EKWB option - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9jx-ek.html

I'm also considering my first custom loop and it sure is hard to know what to buy as some people swear they'll never buy EK/Alpha/XSPC etc etc!

Associate
OP
Associate
I've been looking into the Lian-Li PC-011D and doing a custom water cooling loop also.

While planning this loop in my head I kept coming up with issues with making it a clean a loop as possible, the problem was always the pump/res combination. The only way that I could have a tube res that gave me the options I needed was to purchase a Singularity Computers pump/res combo, this gives you enough options with inlet/outlet that I would require.

Might be worth a look if your planning the same!

Associate
OP
While planning this loop in my head I kept coming up with issues with making it a clean a loop as possible, the problem was always the pump/res combination. The only way that I could have a tube res that gave me the options I needed was to purchase a Singularity Computers pump/res combo, this gives you enough options with inlet/outlet that I would require.

Thanks - what was it about the Singularity option that made you think it was better? As long as I have an inlet/outlet and a filling port at the top of the reservoir, I think I'll be good....?

Soldato
The D5 is good and powerful but a DDC will actually offer more head pressure to deal with loop resistance. That said, a modern loop with CPU, GPU and a couple of radiators isn't very restrictive. The D5 will likely run quieter though.

The Photon is beautiful though as it's glass and has nice fittings rather than clumsy plastic rings for mounting.

I can't tell if the EK-XRES has a top port but it almost certainly will, so would also work fine. It's worth sketching a plan of your case, or even making cardboard templates to test layout!

Associate
Thanks - what was it about the Singularity option that made you think it was better? As long as I have an inlet/outlet and a filling port at the top of the reservoir, I think I'll be good....?

more options regarding inlet/outlet, with the res having multiple ports at the top and bottom, the pump/res combo you linked in the post only has one option for inlet and outlet with a fill port at the top of the res (this is according to the instruction manual on the EK website). The top port isn't designed to be used as an inlet port.

Also the pump/res combo from Singularity Computers can be rotated to be mounted at a different angles so the outlet port can face any direction you require, whilst not affecting your options for inlet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
more options regarding inlet/outlet, with the res having multiple ports at the top and bottom, the pump/res combo you linked in the post only has one option for inlet and outlet with a fill port at the top of the res (this is according to the instruction manual on the EK website). The top port isn't designed to be used as an inlet port.

Also the pump/res combo from Singularity Computers can be rotated to be mounted at a different angles so the outlet port can face any direction you require, whilst not affecting your options for inlet.

OK, thanks :)

Associate
OP
Good luck with everything, Tango, and thanks for the link you sent me in trust, it was pretty eye opening.

No worries. I was up for getting some Alphacool stuff until I read that little lot!

I have a Raystorm Pro RGB waterblock.
Nice bit of kit, similar price to the EK you've listed.

Thanks, that was the other block that I was considering getting :) What sort of temperatures are you seeing from your 2700X with that block?

Back
Top Bottom