Xspc TX series ultra slim radiators

Associate
Soldato
The second review is now online. http://thermalbench.com/2018/10/04/xspc-tx480-ultrathin-radiator/
The TX went up against more slim radiators this time including the EK SE(28mm) and PE (38mm). It outperformed the SE and PE series all the way up to 2200rpm where they took a slight lead. More impressively it beat the 60mm thick XE series up to 1200rpm where the XE took a small lead.
http://thermalbench.com/2018/09/25/xspc-tx480-ultrathin-radiator/4/

massive alphacool fan here and have known the company personally for a while but have to take hats off to yourself for that performance ! for me the ST30 was the daddy of slimline and not braking the bank but you've able to beat at lowest speed and match from then on after .

Soldato
If there are going to be available in white I’ll probably pick up a 240 and 360. It’s either these or some Nemesis GTS (good performance and I much prefer the paint job over normal black).

As these seem to be good for low rpm, would you consider these good for quiet push-only builds? I’m planning a loop for overclocked 4790K and a 1080, and whilst I’ll be pushing for a good overclock, I hate it when my system is loud.

Associate
If there are going to be available in white I’ll probably pick up a 240 and 360. It’s either these or some Nemesis GTS (good performance and I much prefer the paint job over normal black).

As these seem to be good for low rpm, would you consider these good for quiet push-only builds? I’m planning a loop for overclocked 4790K and a 1080, and whilst I’ll be pushing for a good overclock, I hate it when my system is loud.
Yes they're ideal for low speed push only builds.

The white versions are coming soon

Attachments

• tx240-white-0b.jpg
    tx240-white-0b.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 12
Soldato
Question for you, @XSPCPAUL : how deep is the screw thread on these TX radiators?

I'll need to get in some specific screws to accommodate mounting the TX120 onto a 4mm thick rear panel with another 1 or 2mm for supporting washers, so need to work how my total length so I don't puncture the rad :p

Cheers

Associate
Question for you, @XSPCPAUL : how deep is the screw thread on these TX radiators?

I'll need to get in some specific screws to accommodate mounting the TX120 onto a 4mm thick rear panel with another 1 or 2mm for supporting washers, so need to work how my total length so I don't puncture the rad :p

Cheers
You cannot really puncture the radiator with the screws. There are no tubes under the screw hole, so at worst you will bend a couple of fins if the screws are a few mm too long.

We supply 5mm screws for mounting directly to a case with a panel thickness of 1-2mm, so if the panel is 4mm you should look at 6-32 UNC screws with a length of 7-8mm.

Soldato
any reason why you don't use metric threads paul in the radiators?

Is it only Alphacool who use metric threads?

I'll be honest though, using M3 screws on my Alphacool UT60 360 doesn't "feel" right, they come across as a bit small. But that being said, M4 is a surprisingly big screw, with an even bigger hole. Half way between would be M3.5, but that's a weird one. But look! 6-32 is almost identical in size to M3.5 and used on PSUs and some motherboard mounts.

That's my take on it anyway.

Soldato
3/4" is almost exactly 19mm.

Yes of course they list imperial screws in imperial lengths :D

19.05mm to be exact ;) Oh I know and it makes sense of course. I'm just grumpy because I had a rough night and can't find my Imperial screw calculator, so I had to work things out in my head.

Makes me chuckle though that all the radiator manufacturers who use 6-32 thread still list their lengths in mm, hence having to work things out because all of my case mods and dimensions are in mm.

Associate
any reason why you don't use metric threads paul in the radiators?
6-32 is a standard case screw size. We decided to use the most common PC screw size.

The industry uses a big mix of imperial and metric. e.g. G1/4" to 14mm PETG fittings. Once a standard has been set it's difficult to move away from it.

Soldato
Sorry to bug you again, @XSPCPAUL but can you fill in a couple of dimensions for me please? I've annotated your technical drawing with the 2 queries.

tx240_annotated.png

A: end of radiator to center of G1/4 port
B: center of fan hole to end of radiator

I would measure the TX120 I've just had delivered, but my measurements have proven to be somewhat unreliable of late :p The TX120 is a lovely bit of kit though, saved my bacon with super tight tolerances!

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom