Yamaha MT-10 or BMW S1000r

Soldato
Am been thinking of replacing my old 2008 Yamaha FZ1 with either a Yamaha MT-10 or a BMW S1000r

Which one of these two bikes would you guys choose and why ?

The only thing putting me off the s1000r is that it looks like there no rear rack available to fit a givi box :mad:

Soldato
Please don't fit a top box to either of those bikes!!! :eek::eek:

As for the bikes - MT-10 has the better engine (it's awesome!) but the S1000R has better... everything else. Including looks.

Soldato
S1000r Faster than the Mt10 (but does not feel it ) More toys . Looks better but not keen on the front . Lower bars and not very comfortable (subjective as i am old ) Handling is very good but brakes were a bit MEH but i think that was just the one i rode . Worst hing is the buzz at 6-7k which spoiled it for me and its very "german" and imho lacks any type of character

MT10 . Slower on paper figures but feels faster . Enough toys to be useful . I think it looks great but it splits opinion . Higher bars so more comfortable . Handling is good but a little harsh (yet to adjust anything but feels like a little to much rebound damping) Comfort seems ok so far but a lot of testers said it was poor after an hour or so (comfort seat available) Great sounding engine but sounds like there is a bolt loose at tickover .

Which is better ? Only after riding them can you make a decision . I tried the BMW/KTM1290/MT10/Tuono V4 plus the new z1000 and a few others for a baseline test .

Biggest surprise was the BMW r1200r . Great handling .. great brakes .. and the engine is amazing .. it was on my shortlist . Worst was the Z1000 although i love the looks .

In the end i bought the MT10sp and im very happy but so many good bikes out there you need to ride them and see what suits

Snaggle

Associate
Have you considered the Ktm 1290 superduke r. I test rode the mt10 and the s1000r and personally preferred the superduke. The best value for money bike was the s1000r and was a really good bike, loads of kit and ckfrotznke and a good price. I just found it a bit bland in a way. Didn't find it had character. The mt10 I didn't really like I found the fueling snatchy and a bit unstable and twitchy. I'm sure mapping and some twiddling with suspension would have sorted it but I jumped on the superduke and foind the fit perfect for me. Also loads of character and can potter around on it or can go for a blast.

Associate
Tuono Factory V4, thank me later. ;)
Brilliant bike but in some ways it's not a supernaked. It's a sport bike with some plastic removed. Found it uncomfortable. Depends what you want as all are good bikes in the grand scheme of things. Tuono I would argue is more track biased and the superduke and mt10 better road bike. Plus tuono expensive and finance rates expensive.

Soldato
Just buy a Tracer or S1000XR if you want a top box on it. The fact you are put off by a S1000R because you can't fit a top box is indicative you don't actually want either because it's not what they are about really.

An XR will do 90 percent of what the R will and you'll be able to put hard luggage on it by design.

If you really really want a top box on an R go to S1000R. Co.uk owners forums and look at pillion seat conversions owners have done for top box racks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been looking at the bikes at my local BMW dealer this afternoon and now I got another bike to choose from that my attention

The S 1000 XR sport SE

I Really love the look of the s1000r
but the S 1000 XR sport SE has all the goodies like GPS holder above the speedo, Larger Fuel tank, Much better Luggage options , Much Better for pillions ,Also looks like it would have better headlights, Hand guards

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The fact you are put off by a S1000R because you can't fit a top box is indicative you don't actually want either because it's not what they are about really.
But I no need a top box when riding my bike in my local island

Top boxes are great for putting your helmet and gps and other valuables etc in when your away on holiday

Like in this picture where my FZ1 is parked outside the cherbourg submarine museum in france
q0ihGel.jpg

Soldato
S1000r is a great bike, the sport version which I have comes fully loaded though the newer ones come with an auto blipper for quick downshifts, would love that on mine.

Not much character to the bike though, it's an IL4, more power than you could ever need but it's missing that wow factor you'd get from a similar powered V4 or twin.

The vibration that I had with mine at first is almost gone now, getting rid of the huge stock exhaust system, lighter levers, tail tidy and heavier bar ends make it perfect now.

One downside is the cam chain tensioner is very weak, I'd suggest swapping to a manual CCT. Expect some rattle between 3k-4k RPM too.

Brakes are good but I've felt better brakes on older bikes, even though it has ABS, there's always a small feeling when braking that they could be better.

For me the bike is very comfortable though would benefit from a comfort seat for longer rides, bars are the perfect height for me, no strain on the wrists and not leant over much at all. Pegs could be a few inches higher and brought forward though an aftermarket rear set would solve that.

Stock mirrors are poor, very poor adjustment, I'd recommend changing them.

Exhaust sounds good with a full system on but personally I'd avoid any shorty exhaust as it's ridiculously loud, so loud that it's too much for me now and I'll be putting a longer can with a baffle back on.

These run hot too, expect to see 100-103'c in hot weather when stopped in traffic, I turn mine off when at traffic lights which I know take 3-4 minutes to go through each cycle.

Anything in detail you'd like to know extra about just ask, I've had mine for 3 months now and love it. :)

Soldato
OP
Hi Clovis

All my bikes for last 30 odd years have been IL4 so the character of the engine would be fine and the type I like..
I love the look of the S1000r and it looks so much better for throwing your leg over for a quick blast compared to the much larger and heavier looking s1000xr

I notice the new s1000r also comes now with a light weight Akrapovic Titanium Silencer...

My FZ1 also was a hot runner in traffic (over 100c )

Soldato
Yeah it does and even though it still has the cat box installed, it sounds good.

The newer one also has more power and torque.

How tall are You? Have you sat on either of them?

Soldato
OP
How tall are You? Have you sat on either of them?
Am only about 5ft 8in

Notice there meant to be a 820mm lower seat option you can choose for the S1000XR

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/2017-bmw-s-1000-xr-review-107336/
With an 840mm seat height it’s a tall machine and the seat is also reasonably broad where it meets the tank.
I'm 188cm tall (6ft 2in) and I could only just get both feet down flat to the ground.
However, shorter riders aren't left out – BMW offers a lower 820mm seat (a no-cost swap) and even a 790mm low-suspension alternative ($250).

Last edited:
Soldato
But I no need a top box when riding my bike in my local island

Top boxes are great for putting your helmet and gps and other valuables etc in when your away on holiday

Like in this picture where my FZ1 is parked outside the cherbourg submarine museum in france
q0ihGel.jpg

But surely you are buying the bike to take away and use properly. I've got a ridiculous 177BHP naked but I didn't get it to use for its intended purpose in island because you just can't. The same undoubtedly applies to you in Guernsey.

Absolutely bonkers to decide to buy a super naked based on a top box.

I've just done 4,000km over 15 days touring through Europe on a 1290 SDR with only soft luggage panniers and did fine. I bought it as a mental super naked first and I compromise on my luggage.

If luggage is a priority then don't buy a super naked, the times you'll ride it without luggage in island at 30MPH defeat the point.

Get a tank bag and keep your valuables in that and take it with you or buy something like the XR.

Soldato
OP
But surely you are buying the bike to take away and use properly. .
I really wish I could say yes to that (I really miss my biking trips away :(:(:()

But my 2 best friends that I used to go away with multi times a year have both sold there motorbikes some years ago due to having wife's and children..
And am not a person that enjoys travelling on my own..

So I have no idea at the moment if am going be able to find new mates to go away with...

Soldato
I really wish I could say yes to that (I really miss my biking trips away :(:(:()

But my 2 best friends that I used to go away with multi times a year have both sold there motorbikes some years ago due to having wife's and children..
And am not a person that enjoys travelling on my own..

So I have no idea at the moment if am going be able to find new mates to go away with...

There's always us lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom