Yamaha MT-10

Soldato
A lot of dealers don't do test rides on used bikes though, much easier to find a main dealer with a demo fleet. They're not worried about you sticking miles on their nice used bikes they're trying to sell, as the demo bikes have one job - to be thrashed by test pilots :D

Associate
Someone recommended an Aprilia Tuono 1100RR V4. I nearly bought one of these bikes and did a huge amount of research over a few months.

Be aware of the following:
1. They have a lot more reliability issues than other bikes, even in 2017. They still have elecrical issues, mechanical issues and plenty of recalls.
2. Most local garages won't touch them, or at least mine wouldn't. I'm not sure if that is because they are a pain to work on or because of how Aprilia operate.
3. Parts availability is a total and utter shambles. Parts are expensive and can take MONTHS to arrive depending on what time of year you need them.
4. Aprilia will try as hard as they can to wash their hands of any issues with your bike and leave you with an expensive doorstop.

Great bikes though, really great bikes and they look and sound amazing. Just be aware of what you're getting into. MT-10 has none of the above issues.

Man of Honour
*puts fingers in ears chanting "la la la can't hear you"*

Being awkward bikes to work on and the slow delivery of spares are the two reasons my local dealer cited for dropping the brand.

Associate
Anyone considering an MT-10 should look up Fast Bikes YT channel and watch BJ's blogs, very comprehensive, inc. rolling road, different exhausts, suspension and brake tweaking, general hooning about, he loves it.

Associate
OP
Anyone considering an MT-10 should look up Fast Bikes YT channel and watch BJ's blogs, very comprehensive, inc. rolling road, different exhausts, suspension and brake tweaking, general hooning about, he loves it.

Yes, I've seen those! I think the mechanic bloke is great with his explanations of things. Made me understand more about bikes in general, not just the MT-10.

Associate
OP
So I got to test ride one and beforehand was thinking I'd probably put an offer in, but I just didn't get on with the bike and couldn't justify spending the money on it.

The engine didn't make me giddy like it has for other people, there wasn't as much low end power as I thought there'd be. Of course, it's as rapid as anything when you open it up. The bike I tested had a full aftermarket system and I forgot to ask if the throttle had been remapped after the install as it felt too snatchy and out of place. It wasn't as assured on the road as the S1000R, which is pinpoint sharp, although is a bit more comfortable despite the fact my bum started aching after about 30 minutes so would probably have to buy the comfort seat.

Given the price, build quality and lack of supply in the market, I wouldn't be surprised if this is or is close to being a loss-leader to get people into or back into the Yamaha brand. It certainly has my attention and I wouldn't mind giving the remapped 2017 version a go.

Looks and sounds great. There's not many bikes where heads will turn for the sound and stay there for the looks afterwards. I felt like a celebrity riding it!

Man of Honour
The S1000R is a very special bike in terms of fuelling and throttle response. I have never ridden anything that comes close and I've tried all of the big nakeds.

Edit: The 2017 S1000R throttle isn't anywhere near as nice as the 2015/2016 one by the way. Thanks Euro4!

Associate
The BMW has so much electronics built in, I don't think I could trust it as far as reliability is concerned, I ride every day and a breakdown would be adisaster. Yamaha, however, is my brand of choice due to their sheer and unadulterated bullet-proof reliability and are so well put together it's amazing. My question still stands though:

When you buy a new bike, you have to run it in carefully. Yet demo bikes are new, and you can do what you want on it? How does that work?

Anyone? Does this mean buying an ex-demo bike is a poor choice?

Soldato
The BMW has so much electronics built in, I don't think I could trust it as far as reliability is concerned, I ride every day and a breakdown would be adisaster. Yamaha, however, is my brand of choice due to their sheer and unadulterated bullet-proof reliability and are so well put together it's amazing. My question still stands though:

When you buy a new bike, you have to run it in carefully. Yet demo bikes are new, and you can do what you want on it? How does that work?

Anyone? Does this mean buying an ex-demo bike is a poor choice?
There's 2 schools of thought when it comes to running in a bike (which is all about bedding in the piston rings) - one camp will do as the manufacturer says and only do 6000 rpm for the first 600 miles. The othe camp will do all revs. The MOST important thing is not to let the engine sit at the same revs for a long period of time, vary the engine speed, and don't stress it too much. So, a hard break in may actually be as good as a soft break in.

Man of Honour

There's 2 schools of thought when it comes to running in a bike (which is all about bedding in the piston rings) - one camp will do as the manufacturer says and only do 6000 rpm for the first 600 miles. The othe camp will do all revs. The MOST important thing is not to let the engine sit at the same revs for a long period of time, vary the engine speed, and don't stress it too much. So, a hard break in may actually be as good as a soft break in.

The demo fleet at my local Triumph dealer are spanked stupid from 1st service/500 miles, yet I still bought an Ex-Demo from them, which 10,000 miles later has just had its shims/clearances/bores checked as part of the service - and (touch wood) looks really healthy inside - making 2PS more than book figures too. Demo bikes probably see the largest, least consistent range of revs of any bike - which I have always been taught is the right way to run in an engine.

It's a can of worms though, every engine builder thinks differently. I will report back when I am crying at the side of the road with a shattered ring and gouged bores :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
One guy that races on S1KRR, can't remember his name now, but he does it. Apparently if you follow the dealers recommendations, the bike feels slugish afterwards.

Associate
If i ever bought a new bike i would ride it as i would do a used one. Every car i have driven that has been thrashed from day 1 have felt much more nippier and responsive than ones that have been gently run in.

Soldato
I have never owned a new bike but have done many motor and top end rebuilds , new rings honed barrels e.t.c and always do a run in period.

The people who just nail straight off for competition e.t.c rebuild more often than joe blogs in the street but there are many arguments on both sides just pick your poison but the above works for me.

Back
Top Bottom