1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yay mass influx of immigrant muderers etc. next year

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by crashuk, Jul 24, 2006.

1. crashuk

PermaBanned

2. Garrett

Soldato

Well they'll have the new 'imigration force in place by 2010 or so....'

We have to wonder what the Home Office are doing drawing up such lists when there is nothing they can do to stop them coming in.

3. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

Rubbish.

EU member doesn't mean you're automatically a signatory of the Shengen Treaty (see Britain), nor is it guaranteed that these countries will be joining next year, and if you're government was worth half it's salt, it would restrict the entry of new EU citizens the way everyone else has.

Very poor scaremonging sensationalist piece there.

4. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I wonder if the government has got their figures right this time. Remember when they predicted that the new EU members from eastern europe would lead to immigration of 13,000 a year... in fact it was 300,000 a year. Still, 60-140k on top of 300k is one hell of a lot of people.

5. dirtydog

PermaBanned

True, but it isn't worth half its salt, or anywhere near half :)

6. Bear

Capodecina

Werent Britain and Ireland some of the few countries not to restrict the influx of the new Eastern block countries like Ploand etc ?

7. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Yep. We were right and everyone else was wrong! :) At least, so the government would have us believe.

8. AJUK

Man of Honour

Let us also remember that the estimate for immigrants from the first wave of ascession countries was approximately 15,000 yet turned out to be 10 times that amount, even 60,000 seems low, especially given that these new countries are poorer still than Poland and Slovakia etc.

If anyone has been watching the series The War of the World over the past few weeks will know that if history repeats itslef, and it invariably does, we are in deep **** if we continue down this path.

We need to pull out of the EU immediately and not let any of them in.

9. Shackley

Banned

Do you know on what basis the other EU countries restricted entry from countries such as the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, etc.?

I was under the impression that unrestricted travel and employment within the EU was a fundamental part of the EU agreement and that the Schengen Agreement only removed the need to use Passports.

10. AJUK

Man of Honour

On the basis that their governments' are competent and actually think before signing documents. :rolleyes:

11. Bear

Capodecina

From what I remember (been a while since I read it, so I could be wrong) Germany and France amongst other countries decided to restrict movement from the Eastern block countries for 3-4 years with a review at the end of it to see if it should be extended or dropped.

12. Shackley

Banned

13. Fop

Gangster

Yeah that's is the impression they like to give (and it's true in certain contexts), but as with everything it depends on the small print.

Countries like France and Germany are well practiced in getting all they want from the EU whilst largely not getting what they don't want (or at worst putting it off and then trying to undermine it or delay it further).

The UK Government either seems to want the mistakes, just doesn't care, or are frankly just incompetent when playing the EU deal game (tbh there quite a lot of the EU principle we sign up to, to the very letter of the law, yet in most other countries it’s only accepted in specific or even completely partial ways – and in some cases even completely ignored).

We tend to have an argument about being in or out of Europe (which maybe explains the above) where as the rest of the EU seem to just spend their time trying to get all they can out of it, whilst ignoring the bits they don’t like/want.

14. Edinho

Mobster

John Reid! Another political moron. Still we voted for em. :rolleyes:

15. CircleFaust

Mobster

true and unfortunately this is far too sensible for the UK government to implement :(

16. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Agreed. I have to assume that the UK government (and past UK governments of both parties) are just stupid. Very, very stupid.

Well 37% of voters did anyway... 63% voted against them, never forget that.

17. Rich_L

Capodecina

I was thinking the other day, that the concept of sovereignty in terms of how it affects your day-to-day lives is strange really, given how much value is often placed on it - for example, if you consider how much influence your average person has on policy decisions made by governments, on laws being drawn up and implemented, on immigration, defence, taxation and suchlike, the influence is virtually nil. If, for example, each country in the EU decided to give up their sovereignty and become one federal Europe, I would wager that for the vast majority of people, life would just go on as normal, they'd live, work, pay more, or less, or the same amount of tax and get on with life.

Just an idle thought :p

18. dirtydog

PermaBanned

That's because countries in the EU have already surrendered their sovereignty and its benefits, by dint of their membership of the EU.

If the UK were truly a sovereign nation, things here could be very very different, and by that I mean much improved.

19. LabR@t

Sgarrista

we have passed the point of return as far as I'm concerned, yer world at war was very worring last night. But its all to do with globalisation and money making thats all bottom line. the goverment doesn;t give a hoot about british people or it would halt all immigration until it has concrete plan and system to handle it. It knowsthe >% of people have had enough. but the ones who make the laws are very unlikely to experince the full scale disillusion of our whole way of life when they retreat to their country estates.

20. wozzizname

Wise Guy

I had to go to the local police station today to fix one of their phones ; there were two reception desks there, one for general enquiries (unmanned) and one for immigration (manned) - are there that many immigrants here now that there has to be a special service to deal with them ? I mean it's not like this is a port or anything, but the population of this area seems to be turning East European very quickly...