1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yemeni crisis & Saudi shenanigans

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Evangelion, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Evangelion

Capodecina

Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen it any any of my regular news sources.

The West does not want to start WWIII with Russia.

2. Panos

Capodecina

Because none of your news sources is Greek?

is on going issue for 3 weeks now, and has escalated to major political scandal, both regarding the ammunition but also the handling of it.

There are thousands of pages, but I will post here some of Greek newspapers recent articles, use google translate.

http://www.protothema.gr/politics/a...eis-gia-tin-polisi-oplon-sti-saoudiki-aravia/
    http://www.parapolitika.gr/article/papachristopoulos-simfonia-me-tin-saoudiki-aravia-ine-se-exelixi
    http://www.protothema.gr/politics/a...udiki-aravia-itan-grammeni-mono-sta-ellinika/

http://www.iefimerida.gr/news/37777...-stin-s-aravia-katethese-aporrita-eggrafa-pdf

the political aspect how it is this morning, having government MPs (left) demanding the cancellation of the ammunition, because is morally wrong.
    http://www.parapolitika.gr/article/mallia-kouvaria-se-kivernisi-ke-siriza-gia-ton-kammeno

As for the Ukraine references, need to dig the news from last three weeks archives.

3. Evangelion

Capodecina

If it was as big an issue as you're implying, I'd expect it to be in the English-speaking international media.

'Greece in corrupt government shocker', I guess that's why it's not considered news over here. 'Corrupt' is basically a synonym for 'Greek' these days.

Google can't translate these articles. I don't think this is a real language, it's just squiggly lines.

Do you have any articles in a proper language (i.e. English or German) that provides details of the Greek plot to send one third of the missiles to Saudi Arabia and sneak the other two thirds secretly into Ukraine?

4. Panos

Capodecina

is not missiles, but 105mm artillery ammunition and MK83 bombs. At work atm, need to spend few hours trying to find the newspapers articles.

5. efish

Wise Guy

It looks like internal corruption however Greece and Russia have been attempting to form a closer military relationship in regard to defense. Greek defense Minister linked to the corruption scandal here has obviously played a vital role in Russia/ Greece relationships.

I would imagine it is why you see rumors and gossip liked to Russia. Russia's growing defense relationships with both Greece and Turkey is viewed by Nato as a threat.

Greece's defense spending has corruption issues dating back decades but I can't think of any country that is as pure as new driven snow here. Its a murky business that is all to often rotten to the core.

6. Evangelion

Capodecina

Mohammed bin Salman's 'corruption purge' is coming along nicely:

(Source).

He's done a great job of distracting the West with a few steps towards modernisation, while ruthlessly beating money out of his peers. Good old Middle East; it never changes.

7. Evangelion

Capodecina

Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for an attack by 10 drones that set fire to the world's largest oil processing facility in Saudi Arabia, and an oilfield operated by Saudi Aramco.

Where the hell are these nutters getting drones?!

:eek:

8. StriderX

Capodecina

It's hardly like drones are difficult now... people were warned years ago that we'd be here and now we are.

Almost certainly Iran or Russia is supplying whatever pointlessly easy materials to craft drones through whatever channel they seem to have with the Houthi. Unless we want to add "propellers, APU's and miscellaneous scrap" to the Geneva convention, this is impossible to stop.

Now that the Houthi have basically made Riyadh look like children (even more so), i expect a few more British/American/French bombs landing on school buses to teach them a lesson.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

TBH someone with a rudimentary idea of how things fly and a reasonable understanding of electronics and access to basic remote control electronics, even from toys as a lot of it is just activating solenoids/relays and the signal can be boosted significantly, could DIY a suicide "drone" (a lot of these are more like glorified radio controlled planes than quadcopters, etc.). But probably even in Yemen these days you can practically order one off Amazon.

(These ones that are penetrating deeper into SA though are obviously being provided more a long the lines of what StriderX is saying).

For consistency shouldn't people now be arguing against drones like they do firearms? and looking at drone owners the same way as they do firearms owners?

10. StriderX

Capodecina

No that wouldn't be consistent as drones aren't primarily made for killing people, firearms are.

Though i'm sure in this ironic world that the US will now be getting pushed to ban drones because they're dangerous, but don't take their guns, because that's a right...

This is kinda like (though not really) trying to ban the car, it can be used to mow down hundreds of people with little effort (assuming it's sturdy enough - i guess a truck is more able)... it's primary function is not mowing people down.

Still drones make it extremely almost pointlessly easy to just attach an IED... god knows, i still dont see how you stop it.

11. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

eBay? Amazon?

All you need is one of the larger drones and someone smart enough to either attach an IED to it. Or rig it to drop 82mm mortar bombs like the Syrian rebels did.

No-one’s selling them MQ-9s.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

Lots of firearms aren't made with the primary intention of killing people - sports, hunting, etc.

Where do you draw the line between a drone created to kill people and a firearm created for target shooting?

13. Nasher

Capodecina

This explains every conflict in the middle east:

14. StriderX

Capodecina

What was the first (viable) gun made to do?

What was the first (viable) drone made to do?

That's all that really matters historically and the answer is not the same, with that in mind, things do change and obviously target shooting is clearly not "killing people", but the wide majority of firearms have this purpose and no one can really dispute this. It's really semantics (things evolve), you can definitely control guns more than you can what it takes to build a drone and it's far more justified. The issue with controlling drones is that it's likely going to be extremely authoritarian in scope, how exactly do you justify controlling propeller, computer chips and general metal/plastic/materials - honestly hazard that you cannot, so it has to come down to punitive sentencing domestically.

Punitive sentencing in a war zone is not exactly available though.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

A happy (or unhappy) accident of inception is kind of arbitrary. I was more addressing the school of thought of "guns have no practical purpose for most owners, guns kill people so no one should have a gun" for consistency there is no practical purpose for most people owning a drone, drones (can) kill people so for consistency then most people have no reason to be allowed to own a drone.

16. dowie

Caporegime

Just a wild guess but I'd suspect the Iranian backed Houthi rebels are getting drones from Iran.

I'd also suspect that this wasn't necessarily a case of them being supplied with drones and left to it but rather there was perhaps some more direct assistance offered by Iran, at least training if not also help planning/co-ordinating such an attack.

I do wonder how Iran would like it if some other Yemeni group decided to carry out a drone attack on Iran with assistance from the Saudis/USA.

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

Lot of speculation as to the proximity in terms of timing of the attack and Bolton going. Regardless of whether launched from within SA or externally these seem to be relatively higher end drones range wise which raises some questions.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

And Pompous has literally blamed Iran in full, seems rather a huge stretch to think that Iran would just launch a full scale attack on a facility like this, seems to me that this is just more engineered aggression and to confuse the situation on purpose, both to save the Saudi's the embarrassment (political coercion in Washington) and to further the usual rhetoric when Israel is about to annex more Palestinian land "officially". When the Arab League was getting annoyed... look what suddenly occurs when it looks like the Sunni's are getting out of line.

**** stinks so much that it almost seems probable that whatever the US SecState says is untrustworthy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  19. Rroff

Man of Honour

The timing is certainly not particularly subtle.

20. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

US just want to go to war with Iran.

I hope one day we reach a timeline where the US get well and truly destroyed fighting some dumb war they provoked to start....it will be the only way they will learn.