1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yemeni crisis & Saudi shenanigans

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Evangelion, Nov 11, 2017.

1. dowie

Caporegime

I don't think the Houthis and relative level of sophistication have much relevance, if they were involved then it is likely just their territory was used by Iran. It is more likely it wasn't even from their territory - Iran has done this before and they have claimed credit when the attack came from Iraq.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

At least 12 out of the 17 hits show the hallmark of not just GPS reckoning but some degree of optical target recognition programming - the US hasn't had anything like as good results in their cruise missile attacks. If it was just consumer level GPS as alluded to it might be expected they hit the appropriate target when they are that size but not as closely group around the same point on the target.

3. dowie

Caporegime

I think you're going a bit armchair imagery analyst there tbh... unless you've got recent experience of that line of work then it seems like bit of a stretch to declare something like that from a satellite photo on a news report. Can you link to anything where someone with a background in this area has made a claim along those lines?

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Can't find anything with a bonafide expert input - quickly googling I found a bit of a breakdown here https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/...ant-points-to-well-targeted-swarm-attack.html with some comments further down that seem to at least have half an idea of what they are talking about.

From years of following this stuff casually my thinking is along similar lines - I'm no expert but I've seen the aftermath of many many attacks over the years of different types.

5. dowie

Caporegime

Well that doesn't support the idea the attack was anything better than the US could achieve, in fact it asserts that the US is capable of such an attack as are Israel and likely Iran too. It repeats the assertion that the US and KSA believe the attack came from Iraq, that does make sense given Iranian allied groups in that country.

I think the obvious culprit here is simply Iran.

6. sideways14a

Wise Guy

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ***** like a duck and lays sodding eggs then its a flipping duck.
    Or in this case Iran.

What happened to that ship that they said was not going to Syria? and then it did?
    While the US and the rest of the west might well be full of crap a lot of the time, Iran is not only full of it they are giving away free samples to the rest of the world.

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

US might be capable of it on paper but I'm less inspired by the actual results... here is hoping they are merely holding their punches until such a time they really need it :s

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

9. StriderX

Capodecina

Israel (and it's allies sans the Arab League) wants SA to fight Iran so Israel can weaken both sides and destroy them both, it's transparent beyond belief. SA is currently not trusted by its other League partners as they all think it's a ruse to continue strife in the region that's destroyed Libya, Syria, Afghanistan and less so Iraq.

The contradiction though is that Israel and SA don't actually want to fight anyone as it's politically advantageous to keep Iran the way it is, such a mess. I guess it's a cold comfort that Trump promised he wouldn't go to war with anyone, but that's probably a lie that won't really impinge on his support base who'll do a 180 to justify it.

I hope the thousands of body bags filled with Americans will be worth it, to destroy a region completely before the water runs out and everyone is forced to flee.

10. Trusty

Capodecina

What do you make of Israel not being even recognised as a country by the Arab countries around it? You think that plays a part?

11. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Wow how utterly shocking, who would have ever predicted this from Iran?! Guess we will never know their motives for this attack.

12. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Ironically the arabs with the highest quality of life and freedoms in the region all live in Israel. Israel deserves the support of the world from these barbaric regimes.

13. Yas786

Caporegime

Something that I’ve been thinking about the past few days since the drone strike in SA.

Why can’t SA go and bomb Iran themselves?? I mean Trump has sold them billions of dollars of military equipment :confused:. So surely they don’t need America to go pick a war with Iran. I guess America is not only Russia’s bitch but also now the Saudi’s bitches too :p.

Quite funny that Trump tweeted that they are locked and loaded but waiting on Saudi’s to tell them what to do...umm why?? If the American intelligence says it was Iran then that’s pretty much it isn’t it??? Oh wait, he doesn’t believe his own intelligence when they tell such and such a country is doing something naughty....Russia and their incessant interference in the upcoming and past election.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

At any other time it would have been a standard response to tell allies you stand with them and give them room to make the decision as to how to proceed next.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49746645

I don't get this - there is no way Iran if behind it would think they could get away with it I can't see them being so stupid as not having thought ahead - they'd have to foresee at the very least a retaliatory attack against their oil infrastructure which means they either have some kind of leverage, think SA/USA are weak and won't lift a finger, have pre-emptively moved or setup backup infrastructure or are supremely confident in their ability to defend against such attacks and/or wage war.

Other possibilities I guess, other than a false flag, could be rogue elements within Iran who want to trigger a conflict for some reason either hardliners who believe their government are becoming soft or some other faction that want to see regime change for some reason.

16. sideways14a

Wise Guy

They lied with that oil tanker as well, turns up in Syria after all.
    Got to wonder just what Iran is playing at, surely they know they would be found out really really like pronto. Blowing a whole load of oil manufacturing plants up is not like capturing a few boats full of sailors and keeping them for a few weeks.. its a proper middle finger up and a "come and have a go" type approach.
    They cant be banking on support from Russia or whatever, so what is there game? Its like they are really wanting an utter doing and they will likely now get one.

Just dont understand what they think is going to happen.

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

Or they've got the measure of Trump and think he is mostly hot air and inaction and SA doesn't have the stones to take a fight to them alone at this point - which unfortunately will only embolden Iran.

18. dowie

Caporegime

But Trump’s been restrained and quite vocal about it, he cancelled air strikes on Iran fairly recently. If anything it is the other way around, they’re prodding for a reaction.

19. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

I've said it before here and it's still true today, Trump has been the least warmongering US president in living memory, hes economically punishing Iran which has obviously pushed them to outright deceitful actions (oil tanker lies) and acts of hostility. Sooner the hardcore Islamist regime is crippled the better, Iraq and Syria might finally get some peace and stability once Iran is out of the picture.

20. sideways14a

Wise Guy

He has a re-election coming up, a nice war or at least a pop at Iran will do wonders for his popularity at home.
    Maybe Iran aint thought this through lol.