Yes...it's a Skoda!

Dolph said:
You appear to have forgotten significantly better residuals in your analysis, and your assumption that the quality is the same is misplaced. There is a definite quality difference between Audi and VW, let alone between Audi and Skoda or seat, certainly if you're looking at the current cars.

The residuals issue is true, but it's disappearing fast (try buying a cheap Fabia vRS second-hand) however the the quality issue just isn't there. Think about it. The clutch, gearbox, engine, wheels, tyres, dials, switches and metal are all from exactly the same sources. The Skoda actually has the next generation paint like the A8 and VW Phaeton. The paint is better than on any Audi (except A8) because those factories were refurbished earlier than the Skoda plant. The next SEATs will be even better as they're being upgraded next. They all use exactly the same parts. The stereo's, sat nav's, door-handles etc. are all totally interchangeable. Only the badges are different. You perceive a difference in quality that simply isn't there - what (I think) you are preferring is the cloth on the seats or the font on the dials because I promise you those are the only differences.

Brands are made or destroyed very quickly. In the 1970's Audi wasn't a great brand. NSU had just been wiped out by the RO80/Wankel engine seals fiasco so VW snapped up their factories and all their new models were called Audi instead. The Quattro and the super-slippery low drag co-efficient 100 turned them from a pretty ordinary German manufacturer into a highly desireable brand amongst yuppies.

Dolph said:
Skoda cars are undeniably a good deal, I don't think anyone has said otherwise, but the need to defend the badge (even when no real negativity has come up about it) isn't becoming.

I think the defensiveness comes from the brand image. It will get better as more and more people forget the old jokes. But they do die hard.

WJA96 said:
As for higher aspirations - I've been technical director of a £75M/year turnover company, had my own SAP consultancy, I have 3 houses (in Germany, Northern Ireland and Norfolk) and my other car is a Boxster 2.7 but it's not practical on a day-to-day basis, hence the Skoda. I can have pretty much anything upto £50K in my garage, but those two suit me in terms of my requirements. I consider myself to have been successful and lucky in equal measure and I still have goals, but looking down my nose at anyone, for any reason, isn't one of them.
Well done...you feel the need to flaunt your 'wealth' on a public forum.
Yes indeed, your internet penis is bigger than mine.

my other car is a Boxster 2.7
Do you have that as a sticker on your skoda?

Andrew Leitch said:

How do your measure your internet penis? The wife wants to know :D

Edit: She just said he's six foot two :mad:

Andrew Leitch said:

Sorry - I didn't realise wealth and achievement were anything to be ashamed of. Weren't you the one who aspired to something better? Dream on.

Andrew Leitch said:

probably in real life too.

Andrew Leitch said:

No, that only works if it isn't true. I have to admire the guy I met in the US who had a Cayenne and a Boxster and on the Cayenne he had a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a Porsche as well". I think that's originally by Douglas Adams, but he actually had it made up into a sticker.

Andrew Leitch said:
There's no doubting that. The last Skoda I was in had 230,000 miles on the clock. But then it was a minicab. Personally I wouldn't want to drive something which made me look a minicab driver. I have higher aspirations but I guess some people don't mind a cheap badge and prefer the Aldi/Lidl lifestyle.

:rolleyes:

Deary me, I can't be bothered to quote the rest of your dribble. Do go away.

BigglesPiP said:
That says something about the other maker of VWs, SEAT. They're built in Spain, and the Spanish prefer a VW built in The Czech Republic

Isn't it because SEAT don't make a proper saloon anymore? The Superb is a stretched Passat V/Audi A6 platform that was meant to be a car for the Czech government people to ride around in like limousines. It's enormous in the back, which is what makes it ideal for cabbing.

Plus it's a Skoda so it's reliable, cheap to run, well made etc. etc. :D

I hate to admit it, but i am quite shallow, whilst skoda's are very good now, they are quite expensive imo, iirc the Octy VRS is 17k, thats only 2k cheaper than a golf GTI, i know which i would rather have.

I still think there are distinct quality differences inbetween the 3 brands (Skoda,VW and seat),at least seat do try to be a bit different.

Captain Kirk said:
Here we go, I thought it was about time I posted a pic of my car.
This was taken in the Austrian alps after driving nearly 2000 miles, so it is a little dirty!....enjoy
Mycaralps2.jpg

Are those Xenon headlamps? And if so, are they any good?

wohoo said:
I hate to admit it, but i am quite shallow, whilst skoda's are very good now, they are quite expensive imo, iirc the Octy VRS is 17k, thats only 2k cheaper than a golf GTI, i know which i would rather have.

If you compare them spec. for spec. you need to spend about another £1800 to bring the Golf up to the same equipment level as the vRS and it's very easy to get 15% off list with a good online broker.

wohoo said:
I still think there are distinct quality differences inbetween the 3 brands (Skoda,VW and seat),at least seat do try to be a bit different.

As I said before, all parts in VAG are common-sourced so the only differences between the 2.0TDI DSG cars is going to be in trim finish and the actual construction where I think the various reliability surveys would tend to indicate that VW aren't as well screwed together if anything. These perceptions die hard, but more and more Skoda dealers now have a Polo and a Golf on the forecourt so buyers can see how little difference there is between those and the Czech built equivalent.

What it really comes down to, is (IMHO) which shape do you prefer and can you afford it? I'd love a 5dr A3 2.0TDI 170BHP DSG but I just can't justify the extra spend to myself. So I'll get the Golf instead as VW have decided to limit the value brand so Skoda don't get that engine/gearbox combination, which is a massive shame as I think the Golf looks very plain indeed for a £20K car.

Captain Kirk said:
Unfortunately they are not xenon's. They are supposed to be a hell of a lot better than the standard bulbs that I have.

I have the ordinary Halogens on my vRS, but I'm changing it in September(40K miles/year) and I'm unsure whether to splurge on the Xenon's or not. Apparently it's £150 to change the bulbs as the front bumper has to come off :eek:

I cant comment on the Skoda Xenons, but its by far the best thing i have seen on a new car,Id have Xenons over satnav,leather etc tbh.Takes the sstrain off your eyes big time at night.

WJA96 said:
I have the ordinary Halogens on my vRS, but I'm changing it in September(40K miles/year) and I'm unsure whether to splurge on the Xenon's or not. Apparently it's £150 to change the bulbs as the front bumper has to come off :eek:

I have Xenons on the S3, and they are fantastic. Any future car I buy new that has them on the options list will be fitted with them, they are that good.

Back
Top Bottom