1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another example of dumbing down.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Faustus, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Faustus

Soldato

Well just as a visual treat, maybe because it's Christmas I've noticed that there is a repeat of Yellowstone on tonight - the winter episode brrr! now we are talking cold there.

2. RDM

Capodecina

Not really sure that it can be called "dumbing down" but maybe just the British losing some of their reserve. If that is a good or a bad thing is completely subjective. You do of course realise you are coming across as a bit of an old man? "Oh, it was so much better in my day!" :D

3. Faustus

Soldato

Why is it that if anyone voices any form of rebuke they are immediatley labeled as being "a bit of an old man" or a "fuddy duddy". This is often used by people when they are struggling to defend a position.

4. RDM

Capodecina

It was meant in jest, hence the smiley. However if you want to be all serious about it...

All your OP seems to be is people being more exhuberant than you would like. How is this dumbing down? It may be something you don't like or approve of, but it isn't really evidence of a decline of civilisation as we know it. Maybe the "good old British reserve" needs to be relaxed somewhat and we can stop being so repressive and up ourselves and learn to relax and enjoy ourselves? A bit of self expression can do wonders for the soul.

5. hybrid572

Wise Guy

Seriously, there's almost nothing else to it. It's a crap show with crap writing and insults the intelligence of the viewing public.

6. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

I start to get angry when i watch TV. If it is not the ****ing adverts it is the homosexuals talking like women or the women with fake tans. :confused:

7. stockhausen

Capodecina

God help you the day they have a butch lesbian advertising fake tans :eek:

8. Floogie

Hitman

So you object to paying the TV license and you now object to adverts?

NEWS JUST IN: Groen wants his cake...and to eat it too! :D

9. Faustus

Soldato

I can relax as much as the next person. However, this does not include getting legless on a Friday night mooning at all and sundry and generally behaving in a boorish manner. Nor does it mean that when I attend my local theatre I feel the need to shriek and holler like some demented half-wit. I find good hearty applause a more than sufficient release of "good old British reserve" as a means of showing my appreciation.

I find this sort of behaviour is not just restricted to theatres either. Take in-car audio. Why is it nowadays that people have audio systems powerful enough to make ones ears bleed but instead of keeping the music to themselves these people feel the need to share this "din" by opening their car windows?

10. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

It started by me muting the adverts, then it moved on to me shouting irate comments at the television screen. As if they could hear me... In the end i just go rid of it.

11. Floogie

Hitman

I'm still firmly stuck in the 'shouting at TV when adverts are on' mode. Watching them, to me, is akin to someone lifting the trapdoor into my skull and peeing right inside. Not good. Perhaps I should get rid as well to preserve my sanity. Although it seems you've done this and have still not recovered*.

*I kid, I kid! :p

12. Zowghi

Gangster

Its the fake crowd of people laughing they put over comedies that gets me worked up