1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another SSD manufacturer doing the dirty

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by tamzzy, 27 Aug 2021.

1. pcuser

Gangster

If I remember it correctly there were reports about Sabrent doing it with Rocket.

2. jigger

Capodecina

IIRC they have white and black separating the nand versions and then gold and rose gold denoting the PCI-E gen. but I’ve also seen blue.

3. EsaT

Capodecina

Black-Blue 2280 drive is the original.
    Black-Blue 2242 is some DRAMless low power variant.
    White-Blue Rocket Q is QLC drive.

Black-Gold and While-Gold are PCIe v4 Rocket and Rocket Q.

4. Quartz

Capodecina

It would be okay if parts were being replaced by better or equal parts but in some cases they are being replaced with parts that are markedly worse without advising the customer.

Some of the datasets with which my brother works may exceed that. Am I supposed to tell him to keep it under 115 GB?

5. pcuser

Gangster

6. Donnie Fisher

Wise Guy

It’ll still transfer the whole file, just once it goes beyond 115gb it’ll slow down

7. Tute

Capodecina

It's fine to cut costs especially if NAND production is affected - what people are taking offence to is the quiet switching of a current model for one that is inferior.

If you're going to switch the flash and/or controller out for an inferior one, make sure you're making that clear to consumers by attaching a different model number to the product.

Companies that do this underhandedly can go get ****ed. I was even eyeing up an SN850 so WD have just lost any chance at my custom.

8. marms

Gangster

I was going to get an SN750 to replace the 256gb drive in my laptop but think I'll just make do and get an external drive to store my videos so that's another lost sale.

If the drives had been released with a different model number a slight drop in performance wouldn't have worried me but to buy one now would feel like I'd been ripped off.

9. koeiwong

Gangster

Got 1tb SN550 this week, it is made in April and from firmware version it should be old version.

10. pcuser

Gangster

I thought that the SN550 drive was switched, do not know about the SN750 one. Was that switched as well?

11. pcuser

Gangster

I thought that the SN550 drive was switched, do not know about the SN750 one. Was that switched as well?

12. marms

Gangster

I haven't seen any stories of it being switched yet but there seems to be more added to the list all the time so i won't bother buying anything for a while.

13. pcuser

Gangster

On another instance I would think that manufacturers would experiment with cheaper drives and not with high end ones but considering the unprecedented shortage of components I am geting confused at what to trust. Perhaps you are right to wait until it all clears out.

14. Armageus

Don

15. THX1138

Gangster

I can see intel tweaking their own drives for the new DDR5 platform.

16. EsaT

Capodecina

You mean changing from QLC to propably floppy drive speed PLC?

Intel really isn't relevant name on consumer/retail SSD market with only low end QLC drives

17. KompuKare

Wise Guy

See Samsung finally issued a statement:
    https://www.computerbase.de/2021-08/970-evo-plus-auch-samsung-tauscht-ssd-komponenten-aus/
    Doesn't sound very credible to me.
    Samsung being Samsung, are there actually any components they don't make themselves?

A shortage of parts they actually make and presumably continue to make? Sounds very suspect.

18. EsaT

Capodecina

Nope. They make all major big costs components themselves: Controller, DRAM and NAND.
    Actually don't think there's anyone else capable to/doing that at the moment.

19. THX1138

Gangster

They are also starting to lag in the controller department now.

20. Andromeda1983

Wise Guy

SK Hynix seem to be good and not replacing stuff