Yogventures! - Kickstarter

Associate
I just hate how they are doing all of this, they have already made some of the game and have it and are playing it, if you pay $15 towards it then you still need to buy the game at release, just at half the price, you should get it for free.
Just thought I'd put this in here as I saw it on their Kickstarter FAQ:

If I back at the $15 dollar level do I get the full game or just a discount at release??

Sorry, the wording must be confusing because we've gotten asked this a lot! You get the FULL game for backing us at the $15 level. This is like a pre-order thank you for being a supporter! You will NEVER have to pay anything else, including all future updates / patches / dlc etc. Sorry for the confusion!

Associate
The only thing epic about this game is the profit margin they are going to make. They are trying to take on Notch and they will lose.

$250k to make a java Minecraft clone, sheesh.

Last edited:
Associate
The hell is this?

This won't work, flat out. I assume that these individuals make Youtube videos about games. Now, presumably, they have reached a level of popularity at which they wish to make their own game to make Youtube videos out of.

I don't know what format their videos are in, but I assume that if you are watching videos on Youtube, you want some form of commentary and opinion on the game the Youtuber is playing. If they have made (or funded and helped design) the game themselves, they are clearly a biased party and unfit to provide an opinion on it.

I don't understand how this could succeed, so I have to assume that it's some form of cash in. In which case, it's a very smart plan. Youtube fame will likely fade away after a few years and if they have a large enough fanbase, I'm sure they can sell this.

The idea of asking people to Kickstart it is offensive though. Give us money so that we can make this Minecraft clone, cash in on it by selling it to you and reap the profits? I don't think so. They can probably fund it themselves anyway.

Associate
OK, I'm vaguely familiar with who these people are, but why the bad blood with notch?

I know them from some minecraft vids and the game description is very reminiscent of minecraft.

It just seems in very bad taste to take such a dig at the person who helped your 'tube fame.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know what format their videos are in, but I assume that if you are watching videos on Youtube, you want some form of commentary and opinion on the game the Youtuber is playing. If they have made (or funded and helped design) the game themselves, they are clearly a biased party and unfit to provide an opinion on it.
No, that's not really what they. Well, they do it a bit, but it's not core to their activities or fanbase. They're more comedy videos occurring in an in-game universe they've created. They're popular - hugely madly popular. Maybe not on here, but in general terms they're ridiculously large. Here's some stats:
5 YouTube accounts - over the accounts they have
Subscribers: 2,222,756
Views: 908,476,168
Their main YouTube Channel is:
#1 - Most Subscribed (All Time) - United Kingdom
#27 - Most Subscribed (All Time) - International

I don't understand how this could succeed,
I don't see how it couldn't with such a massive fanbase - most of which will buy it purely because it's made by them.

They can probably fund it themselves anyway.
That's for sure - the amount of money they must be making from YouTube must be obscene.

Associate
They're most famous for their Shadow of Israphel series, which is just madly popular. It's basically a universe they created in Minecraft with a lot of characters and they do the voices and stuff like that. I know for certain they put more effort into that than a lot of youtubers do on their channel, so in all honesty their subscriber base is probably well deserved.

However, I can think of many more deserving destinations for $250k than this.

Soldato
I must admit I find all the minecraft nerdrage amusing. Surely if they pull it off youll have a better game to migrate to and if they dont then you hardly paid for it eh? I do find these two very watchable, especially their Archeage videos, and I probably would support them as i am more familiar with them than say - every other developer on the planet including notch (although kudos to him for bringing home the bacon with the Takedown kickstarter), but as im not interested in a minecraft type game at all, think ill keep on watching and see what happens in this really interesting new way to finance game development.

And as the total is a whisker away from 100k with 28 days to go, youre probably looking at funding around the 500k mark by deadline anyway, so its going to happen.

Soldato
Ahh so the 'kick starter' band wagon is rolling full pelt now I see. Trust someone to come up with a good, genuine idea and people are jumping all over it like vultures.

Soldato
The one thing nobody has mentioned (duly because it's probably of little value :p) is that this idea has lost one of the huge selling points of minecraft in my opinion: the retro!

I know they aren't necessarily trying to recreate minecraft entirely, but one thing I really liked about it was the retro, purposefully low-visual qualities, the sheer simplicity of the game - some things that I think were what helped to make MC so appealing across the spectrum of markets :)

Good luck to them - if they have the testicles to try something this big then I hope they succeed, I just wouldn't bet on it ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom