You call that a turbo?

Soldato
You call that a turbo?

IMG_0679.jpg

THIS

aaronturbo1.JPG

Is a turbo :D

Aaron has been building fast cars on his own since he was a teenager. Mostly he likes to shoot for the stars and do it on a budget. He seems to remember everything he reads and loves to race. One thing about Aaron is, he doesn't like to build anything he can't drive around. He has always driven his Nova around and has no intentions of changing that now.

He has a 1970 Nova which he ran a series of engines in, which a 454 Big Block Chevy running consistent 10.30 1/4 miles was the first engine of real note. He ran this engine for 5 years before it barfed a valve.

aaron.JPG

aaron2.JPG

.....after that Aaron abandoned his idea for a newer nastier big block and decided that he wanted to move on to two of his biggest curiosities, turbos and LS series small blocks. There are many people running them across the US but no radical ones in our region.

enginemock4.JPG

The engine will be based on the tried and proven 5.3 liter LS series iron block from a truck.

enginemock6.JPG

aaron_drvr_header.jpg

aaron_x-over_done.JPG

aaron_wgate_work_1.JPG

Soldato
OP
aaron_wgate_work_4.JPG

- Iron 5300 block, bored to 99mm (stock is 96), half-filled with concrete, Eagle 3.622 crank, Eagle 6.125 rods, Probe reverse-dome pistons, Total Seal AP convential top rings
- All Pro 64 cc CNC chamber LS heads, Ferrea Super Alloy 1.6 ex valves, Ferrea 6000 Series 2.02 intakes, K-Motion springs 180# seat, Manley Ti retainers
- Cammotion custom turbo cam 246/240 @ 0.050, 0.390/0.380 lobe lift, 115 LDA, Caddy CTS-V lifters from GMPP (CTS-V "R" new real high RPM hydralic rollers), Comp Stainless 1.75 rockers, Cloyes chain, Melling oil pump

Here's a list of the rest of my combo as of now

- Custom PTE 90.9mm turbo, 1.00 ex AR, F-trim ex wheel, built to USP specs for Ultimate Street
- PTE 3000 HP AWIC, Rule centrifugal water transfer pump 3800 GPH
- Wilson 105mm TB, Wilson 90 degree elbow, Edelbrock Victor EFI manifold 4150 base
- BigStuff 3 Gen 3 EFI, DAI, LS1, SWBO2
- I also have another PTE 101mm turbo for playing around/testing

engine_from_above.jpg

radiator_2.jpg

.......some paint

aaron_eng_pass.jpg

aaron_eng_drvr.jpg

aaron_cable_fuelpump.jpg

(Cable driven fuel pump.......neat.......)

As it looks now:

novasep08018-1.jpg

novasep08022.jpg

novasep08025.jpg

novasep08027.jpg

Associate
Is there no IC there? or am i blind.

Also whats the concrete for?

"Iron 5300 block, bored to 99mm (stock is 96), half-filled with concrete,"

Soldato
OP
Is there no IC there? or am i blind.

Also whats the concrete for?

"Iron 5300 block, bored to 99mm (stock is 96), half-filled with concrete,"

Yea, 'coolers in the cockpit.....go figure. Follow the pipework and you'll see it!

Concrete (not plain concrete, special formula) goes into the block to increase the rigidity. Mad but true. Drag racers do it a lot, sometimes filling any spare space (cooling system is the usual candidate) with concrete.

Don't need much heat control for ~15 seconds running! :D .....hence the half fill though, so it can still be used.

Associate
in the cruise vid sounds like he is getting a lot of surge, it won't last too long like that.

It does, sounds horrible. I think its almost inevitable with such a large compressor housing and wheel, from the way it sounds its way beyond the realms of ported shrouds to fix too :(

Awesome bit of engineering though!

Soldato
OP
He took it to a chassis dyno, the Land-Sea brand dyno we used to have at our shop which is now at another shop. At the rear wheels it made 1208hp and 1057tq corrected..

The full blown racing powerglide transmission or maybe the converter is now toast so they stopped the dyno session while they were just making noise but still working. He is going to pull the trans and tear it and the converter down. He runs a Neal Chance converter and it dissembles so that you can fix it or internally inspect it. He may be able to do this tonight but not sure when the next trip back to the dyno will be.

He said, "I may go back...... It sounded great at 8500, smooth too really smooth."

Hehehe......

Back
Top Bottom