• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

You May Remember Me (Under-performing gtx 1660)

Associate
Hi All,

I recently posted about buying a friend a used gtx 1660 6gb that was going cheap ($130/€115/£100) to upgrade his gtx 1060 3gb. I was concerned because not only did we find no improvement on fps, but it was actually performing worse than his 3gb 1060. Just to remind you, here are his specs:

i5 7500 3.4GHz
Asus H110M-R
8gb DDR4 2400MHz in single channel
Aerocool Integrator 500w psu

Here's the UPDATE!

I took on board many of your comments and suggestions, such as it could be bottlenecked by the cpu, it could be his bad ram, it could be not getting enough power from the psu etc. So I took my 2070 super out and installed the 1660 in my own rig, to do some further testing where none of those factors should be an issue. My specs are as follows:

i5 9600k 3.7GHz
MSI Z390-A Pro
16gb DDR4 3200MHz dual channel
Corsair RM850w psu

The only problem, is that the 1660 is still waaaaaay under performing.

Following your suggestions, this is what I did:

1. Use DDU in safe mode to remove all old drivers
2. Install 1660
3. Custom install the latest 1660 driver/PhysX and no other nonsense
4. Checked GPU-Z which reported the card correctly as a 6gb 1660 (I am 99% sure the card is legit), PCIe x16 3.0, correct base clock of 1530mhz and boost clock of 1785mhz
5. Checked Afterburner which reported the same clock speeds, and showing correct idle voltage of 0.775, running at 35c idle
6. Proceeded to benchmark various games and directly compare to his 1060 3gb (in his lower spec rig), using all the same in-game graphic settings as him.

These included:

- Heaven Unigene benchmark, 1080p ultra settings. His 1060 3gb scored average of 60fps, the 1660 in my 9600k rig scored average of 49fps.
- GTA V using the same very high settings, walking a lap around my bunker next to each other. He had an average of 85fps. I had average of 75fps.
- Rust, using same low-mid graphic settings, running along the beach next to each other. His 1060 3gb was getting 95fps average, I was getting 90fps average with the 1660.

This trend continued in everything we tried. I was monitoring usage/voltage/temps using CPUID HWMonitor for each game and there are a couple of things to note. Clock speeds = normal. Voltage = normal. CPU usage = normal. HOWEVER, despite all this, the 1660 power usage is always at 80% when idle and 100% under load. ALSO, the idle temperature is normal, however under load the temperature is not going above 50c. From my research it should be reaching 70c+ under load, so for some reason it seems to be staying very cool despite it's constant high usage. I don't know if these 2 factors are normal or not, but it surprised me in comparison to my 2070 super which when idle is always less than 20% power usage.

I have taken pictures of my monitoring and results, but didn't want to spend ages uploading them all, so let me know if any of them would be particularly useful.

Hopefully these updated results and tests might shed some light on what the problem is, as I would be expecting this card to be at least 20% fps boost in comparison to the 1060 3gb. This is the last post I make on this before I just cut my losses and sell it as under-performing on eBay!

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Pics of actual card from all sides especially connectors, gpuz screenie, 3d mark results links, would be helpful.

Do you know where it came from originally the 1660? As i think you said it was used. If used and u dunno where it came from it could be a Chinese aliexpress card or something like some say it could be a lower card with a fake bios to show 1660 in gpuz.

Use the new tomb raider benchmark, the demo on steam is free. Post screenshot results. Its good to see problems with the detailed results page.

Associate
OP
Are you sure it's a real 1660?
It could be fake.
Can you post a picture of the graphics card and the rear backplate please?

Edit!!

What does GPU-Z show??
That was my exact first thought as well

Thanks for your comments everyone. From everything I can see, it looks like a 1660. From the naked eye (backplate, sticker etc.) it looks like a legit Palit StormX 1660. GPU-Z, Afterburner, CPUID and everything else shows it as a 1660 too. This of course isn't guaranteed, but it's everything I can check without taking it apart. The low price is more likely to be simply because the previous owner was aware it had an issue, but you never know until you take the risk. I've doubled money on a couple of graphic cards in the last month that were being sold cheap on Facebook Marketplace - so you never know someone's reason for their pricing.

Unless someone comes up with an idea that I hadn't thought of, I won't be putting it back in my system to run more tests. I've spent so many hours on this thing already!

Associate
OP
Pics of actual card from all sides especially connectors, gpuz screenie, 3d mark results links, would be helpful.

Do you know where it came from originally the 1660? As i think you said it was used. If used and u dunno where it came from it could be a Chinese aliexpress card or something like some say it could be a lower card with a fake bios to show 1660 in gpuz.

Use the new tomb raider benchmark, the demo on steam is free. Post screenshot results. Its good to see problems with the detailed results page.

I've uploaded some pics of the card, gpu-z and hwmonitor when idle:
https://imgur.com/a/Uvpwb7q

Soldato
aha i think i found the problem.

Your gpu z shows this https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212913/212913 Which is
VBIOS Version: 90.16.25.00.73

Thats a unverified bios on that card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Palit&model=GTX+1660

Shows it should be either
90.16.25.00.74 - normal Palit StormX 1660 dual
90.16.25.00.43 - Palit StormX 1660 OC

Long shot as i dunno if it will help tbh but knowing its a non verified bios has shown something has been tweaked by someone.

Edit - hmm dual means 2 fans so maybe not that one. The only other bios on tech site is the oc one. I wonder if its the oc one then as im a bit surprised there isnt more bioses on the site for a non dual non oc version.

Could be no one ever saved a non oc bios and submitted it to em. Maybe email palit about the bios version?

??

Last edited:
Associate
OP
aha i think i found the problem.

Your gpu z shows this https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212913/212913 Which is
VBIOS Version: 90.16.25.00.73

Thats a unverified bios on that card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Palit&model=GTX+1660

Shows it should be either
90.16.25.00.74 - normal Palit StormX 1660 dual
90.16.25.00.43 - Palit StormX 1660 OC

Flash this bios i presume you have the non oc version. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/210033/palit-gtx1660-6144-190304

Then report if its any better.

Long shot as i dunno if it will help tbh but knowing its a non verified bios has shown something has been tweaked by someone.

Edit - hmm dual means 2 fans so maybe not that one. The only other bios on tech site is the oc one. I wonder if its the oc one then as im a bit surprised there isnt more bioses on the site for a non dual non oc version.

Could be no one ever saved a non oc bios and submitted it to em. Maybe email palit about the bios version?

??

Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate that. Flashing bios is pretty much the only thing I didn’t look into, as it’s not something I have done before and I’ve only built my first computer 2 months ago, so I’m still very inexperienced. I will most definitely contact Palit with regards to my bios version, as I think it’s my last chance of figuring out the problem before I just swap it out and sell my gtx 970 from my work computer to recoup some losses.

Soldato
Also i doubt it but maybe the 8 pin connector is faulty and its not getting the extra power from the psu properly. Doubt it but if it was it might explain some sort of performance loss i guess?

End of the day you have tried a lot of stuff and if your not happy try returning the card and ask for a refund or see if palit warranty is still going and try rma it tho you might need receipt if original buyer has it or can help you with rma somehow.

Associate
OP
Also i doubt it but maybe the 8 pin connector is faulty and its not getting the extra power from the psu properly. Doubt it but if it was it might explain some sort of performance loss i guess?

End of the day you have tried a lot of stuff and if your not happy try returning the card and ask for a refund or see if palit warranty is still going and try rma it tho you might need receipt if original buyer has it or can help you with rma somehow.

I suppose if the 8 pin was at fault I would be seeing abnormalities in voltage though wouldn’t I?

I have messaged the seller but no reply, I doubt I will get one. I don’t even think he purchased it new as he mentioned initially ‘fully working when I tested it’, so he probably just checked it showed a display and moved it on, or that’s his cover story for knowingly selling a faulty product. Either way, I know I will now be using PayPal only for buyer protection in future!

Soldato
Yeah shame about that, id still give palit a email maybe they might be willing to rma it i dunno, probs not but cant hurt in asking. As they only came out in 2019 i think and come with 2yr warranty so it should be covered by that definition.

Email : [email protected]
http://www.palit.com/palit/rma.php?lang=en

I would maybe email em say its your card but you lost receipt cough cough, tell em the serial number and see what they say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom