1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young Earth Creationism

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by daz, Apr 13, 2009.

1. daz

Capodecina

Do we have any young earth creationists on this forum? Who believe in the literal interpretation of Genesis as method in which we came about? :)

I watched a program recently that mentioned that young earth creationism is a largely modern belief - people mainly believed that the earth came about somehow, and they were not sure how... but that the literal interpretation of the creation story in the bible might not necessarily be the exact way that it came about - just that God was involved somewhere along the way.

2. Monkey Puzzle

Soldato

Noooo, don't!!

3. frosty03

Wise Guy

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

I think Clock.It might be a YEC provided you take it from the King James Edition and ILKSC although the latter is banned now.

For what it is worth I'm not a believer in that theory.

5. p4radox

Capodecina

I've heard it's a pretty modern belief system too. It certainly doesn't appeal to me - I see Genesis as an allegorical tale at most.

6. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

It's modern purely because somebody's taken a new spin on an old story.

Personally, I think it's a bit risky to take a 3000 year-old text, written in Aramaic, translated into ancient Greek, then into Latin, then into German, then into English, literally.

The fundamentalist Christian movement in the US has undergone a resurgence in the past 50 years and it has embraced the rise of the internet in a manner that would make Conficker proud. As such, lots of people have gotten swept up in it as it's very inclusive. YEG is just one of the tenets to which fundamentalist Christians hold.

7. Hellsmk2

Mobster

This bothers me. What makes you think Genesis is an allegorical tale, and the rest of the Bible is all true.

How can you justify picking and choosing what to believe? There is nothing in the Bible to state which parts are an allegory and which we are supossed to believe actually happened.

8. p4radox

Capodecina

That's not what I said.:confused:

I agree, which is one of the main reasons you have to have your head screwed on when you read it.

However, if I did want to justify picking and choosing what I want to believe (which I very rarely attempt), I'd have to say it's simply a personal thing. Sometimes it's just obvious what's meant to be taken literally, sometimes it requires a bit of insight.

9. Uriel

Sgarrista

Young Earth Creationism debunked by the guy who defined the doctrine of original sin, more than a millenium before Young Earth Creationism was concieved.

Why does this still get argued over?

10. Cobs

PermaBanned

Young Earth Creationism is just a label certain people have given to real Christians who actually believe God's Word.

How anyone could think the events recorded in Genesis are not literal when it is a literal account of the Lord's creation is behond me. Adam, Moses, Jacob, Abraham etc were all real men that walked in this real created world not allegorical people.

St Augustine was a religious man (not born-again) who was like the pharisees who had setup their own religion (not salvation) and had not literally believed the scriptures that pointed them to the fact they needed Christ not their own form of religion. It would be a case of the blind leading the blind if a person believed him and did not believe the literal truth and real events and creation that took place in a number of days and not millions/billions of years. He did not debunk anything but himself as not being a real born-again believer/Christian if he said those words, the literal truth of God's Word stands firm through the lies/tales/sinking sand evilution theories of unbelieving men and man made religion (nothing to do with real believers) and their own opinions.

To say that Genesis is anything other than a literal record of creation is basically doing what satan did by saying "did God say", it's exactly the same thing.

Real Christians know exactly how the world came about and who exactly created it, and how long it took to create in days so maybe the term "Young Earth Creationism" should not apply to us unless the people in the program that Daz watched where making up what they thought these people believed - more than possible as some people still think real Christians believe in ghosts. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  11. Zip

Capodecina

I believe what the bible says.
    Dont ask me how many years old i think it is though because i havnt worked it all out my self or really seen how other peope come to the conclusion of 6000 years.

12. UncleBob

Mobster

YEC is actually a blanket term to describe the pseudosciences used to try and explain the creation myth using badly construed scientific reasoning. Flood geology for example.

What is literal about those figures mentioned? They only appear in religious texts and none have been conclusively proven to be genuine historical figures by any objective third party account.

Augustine simply tried to make sense of the contradictory and flawed Genesis account as he thought it had a number of issues. He doesn't say Genesis is false, he tried to fit a different framework by stating the events happened simultaneously but were broken down into days to make it easier for the layman to understand. He did state that the creation account should be reviewed as more information comes to light, which seems to be why you have such a problem with him.

No, it is simply pointing out that they believe Genesis is an allegory - literalism is best reserved for rabid fundamentalists.

What is a Real Christian? I suspect you haven't stoned anyone to death for the heinous crime of wearing garments made of two materials...

13. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

Somebody who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, not all of them are available for perusal thanks to the ravages of time, the various regimes in power around 0-200AD, and the unpleasant individuals who have used Christianity as an instrument for their own aggrandisement and rule over other individuals.

Just because one doesn't go to church, this doesn't mean they're not a Christian, in the same way that just because somebody does go to Church doesn't make them a Christian.

I believe in the founder of the Baha'i Faith and write Baha'i when asked for my religion. However, being a 'true' Baha'i is described as an aspiration - something we are continually working towards. Not unlike the continual striving for closeness to God as described in Christianity, Buddhism (attainment of Nirvana, anybody?), Islam, etc. But then, as somebody who professes to be a Baha'i, I believe they all came from the same place, anyway.

14. Cobs

PermaBanned

A real Christian is someone who has received the Lord Jesus Christ as their own and personal Saviour forsaking all other man made religions and anti-Christ's. Going to Church does not save a person or make in person a real Christian and you are right to say that.

Unfortunately for a lot of people they can never see the difference between man made religions and a real Christian who is born-again by repentance towards God and personal faith in the the Lord Jesus Christ. There is only one faith that brings salvation to the soul and that is faith in Christ, any other so-called faiths are man made religions that have came since Christ claiming to be so-called messengers from God but teaching doctrine which either takes away or adds too or completely goe's against the literal truth of the true Word of God.

A real Christian can put their faith in Christ and him only as he is God and was the only sinless one ever to come into this world, God was manifest in the flesh to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. No other person before or after the Lord Jesus could provide salvation because all others are ordinary men and sinners at the best. The Lord said that their would be many anti-Christ's and false prophets that would come teaching things that are contary to his Word and especially before his soon return there will be many man made religions that will deceive the people if they want to be deceived.

Getting back to creation, the same Lord Jesus who came into this world approx 2000 years ago is the same Lord who created the heavens and earth in a number of days, as he is God he could do what is impossible for men to do.

15. RDM

Capodecina

As long as you are aware that this is only your interpretation of what a real Christian is and that many others will disagree with you and that you could in fact be wrong.

However I have the feeling that you may be yet another KJV...

16. Cobs

PermaBanned

Not my interpretation or opinion of what a real Christian is but it is what the Lord Jesus literally said in his Word a real believer would be, a person that humbles themselves and receives him as their own and personal Saviour. There is no where were the Lord has said going to Church makes a person a Christian. Man made religion defines someone who goes to Church as a Christian not the Lord.

17. int

Mobster

I believe ~6000 years is defined by using the ages in The Genealogies of Genesis record which records the line of descent from Adam to Abraham. One flaw in this is that one of the men, Methuselah, supposedly lived 950+ years.

18. Royal Fleet

Hitman

So in summary, someone who has lived a good and just life, by whatever standard you measure that, but did not embrace Christ, would go to hell and burn for all eternity?

Is that what you are saying?

19. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

That's just about exactly what Cob is saying, yes. I'd actually forgotten about them when I mentioned Clock.It and ILKSC but they're all singing from the same hymnsheet if you'll excuse the phrase. I think the argument goes something along the lines of "God put out his message for everyone to follow and you just have to listen" - whether or not you've even heard of this version of Christianity is irrelevant, you should be able to discern the message anyway.

20. Frosti

Wise Guy

The way I see it is that any God who would condemn me for not listening to these crackpots is unworthy of my praise.