Your clubs players in a summer tournament: good or bad?

Caporegime
Interested to hear your thoughts. It's well known that some players put on as much as a stone over the summer, relying on preseason to get them back into shape but that can lead to injuries and even players still not being fully match fit at the start of the season. In these situations, summer tournaments can prevent your players from losing fitness and putting on weight. A good thing, right?

Alternatively summer tournaments don't give players a chance for a long, extended rest and most players are professional enough to watch what they eat and while not exactly exercising as they would during the season they need the break to relax, wind down and come back fresh and hungry again.

So, would you rather your clubs players were involved in summer tournaments or would you be happier if your players weren't picked for, say, the world cup? Are summer tournaments good or bad for clubs and players?

Soldato
bad letting our best youth palyers like James Ward-Prowse waste his time with the england under 19's will if anything have set his development back and not helped! Until the england setup is geared to produce technically competent football then I'd rather our players stayed within our control!

Ramirez has also been at the confeds cup which was a waste of time he's hardly played but won't have enjoyed a proper lay off to get ready for what could prove to be a massive season for him and the saints.

Soldato
I look at it this way, unlike the England setup, other countries teams seem far more geared towards a family type of affair, so I class it as them spending time with their friends and countrymen and having fun. When you look at teams like Spain and Brazil they seem to be really enjoying themselves.

I wouldn't mind a few weeks away in another country playing a bit of football with my mates.

Injury is a risk, but staying relatively fit seems to be fine for very one else in the world who runs through the summer tournaments, it's just the English players that appear to suffer 'burnout'.

Soldato
I look at it this way, unlike the England setup, other countries teams seem far more geared towards a family type of affair, so I class it as them spending time with their friends and countrymen and having fun. When you look at teams like Spain and Brazil they seem to be really enjoying themselves.

I wouldn't mind a few weeks away in another country playing a bit of football with my mates.

Injury is a risk, but staying relatively fit seems to be fine for very one else in the world who runs through the summer tournaments, it's just the English players that appear to suffer 'burnout'.

I wouldn't say that about the confederations cup, most of those games looked like an absolute slog due to the weather conditions (heat, humidity etc.)

Soldato
I don't mind the 'big' summer tournements (WC, EC + Copa America), the silly little ones like the Confed et all are, imo, pointless. Then again if players started having proper breaks then clubs would more than likely start their lucrative pre season tours of Eastern Asia, America etc earlier to get more games in.

Man of Honour
Ramirez has had time training with quality players, though, no? That could be pretty beneficial :shrug:.

Maybe but on the flipside one could argue that there would be just as much benefit from training with his clubmates, since those are the ones he'll need to connect with on the pitch next season. Of course, he'd likely be on a beach anyway rather than training with his club, so a bit of a moot point :)

Personally I'm not too fussed either way but it is annoying when players pick up injuries.

Ultimately any club that has players who's nations are involved in these sort of competitions are taking a risk (appreciating that you don't always know who will be involved years down the line), same goes for the ACoN.

I thought Vialli made a good point the other night that he feels Italy will benefit from being out in Brazil, getting used to the conditions and all the 'off the field' stuff e.g. being based out there for a couple of weeks, sort out any teething problems etc.

Soldato
IMO Walker at the euros killed him this year, he had a stand out season, didnt get a break and was bellow par this year.

Soldato
bad letting our best youth palyers like James Ward-Prowse waste his time with the england under 19's will if anything have set his development back and not helped! Until the england setup is geared to produce technically competent football then I'd rather our players stayed within our control!

Ramirez has also been at the confeds cup which was a waste of time he's hardly played but won't have enjoyed a proper lay off to get ready for what could prove to be a massive season for him and the saints.

Ward-Prowse needs the game time really, he's been a bit stranded between not quite in the first team but too good for the dev squad, a few games over the summer to pass it about and shout at other players would do his confidence some good.

Shaw and Clyne being out on these things on the other hand are a complete waste of time, both need a summer quietly napping to recover.

Ramierez hasn't had a break in play for a while now (out side of injuries) being at the Olympics last summer as well, he really didn't need the confederations cup this summer.

All in all good for those than aren't featuring too much, horrific for first teamers playing in pointless competitions...

Back
Top Bottom