Your favourite car gadget/spec

Caporegime
Cars these days seem to come with a plethora of gadgets and options these days, so much so that it is easy to lose sight of what is useful and what is pointless. So i thought i would start a thread to discuss what our absolute favourite bit of spec is for a car. This could either be something you have always thought was great, or perhaps something that you thought you didn't really need but when having it realised how good it is. I thought we could have a top three (in order), and they could be on your car, or a car you have been in, and would be things that you would not be able to live without in future. Maybe explain why you think what you have listed is so good as well (if you can be bothered :p).

My top three:

1.) Keyless entry and start - The thought of having a key and putting it into an ignition barrel seems archaic to me now. This is the single biggest must have in a car for me. I can't really put my finger on why,as admittedly it does not save much time in the long run, but with it, the whole getting in and out and starting and stopping feels so much smoother/more seamless. It is also very useful for if you are carrying anything as well and it is great to not have to rummage around in your pocket for your keys all the time. The system in my new car is even better than the one I had previously as well in that the mirrors fold out and the drl lights come on even as you approach it (before unlocking), it unlocks when you pull the handle, and then the car just auto locks itself when you walk away so you don't even have to press any buttons on the door handles. Great stuff.

2.) Voice control for music, specifically being able to just say the song, album, artist you want it to play - I don't think i could live without this now. Being able to just say exactly what you want the car to play is fantastic. No more scrolling through or having to search for what you want, just say the words and bingo! I also think this is brilliant in terms of safety as well, as it stops you from being tempted to fiddle around looking for music whilst driving.

3.) Auto high/low beam - I was sceptical about this at first as i wasn't really sure how well it would work. I figured it would be slow or temperamental but boy was i wrong! It seems to work exceptionally well and really has exceeded my expectations. It reacts very quickly and toggles between main and dipped exactly as I would. I do a fair bit of driving at night through unlit roads, so this has made night driving much nicer.

Soldato
Decent bluetooth handsfree for me.

A2DP music phone thingy.

as above auto dimming main beam and ones that turn. The BMW seems to be the best. My MB not so much but they are bright

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Keyless entry and start as long as it's done properly (e.g. BMW, and not Mazda, who lock the door as soon as you close it, meaning you need to unlock it again to open the rear door............)

Heads-up Display - speaks for itself really.

Cooled seats - you'd think it'd be a gimmick but they're really nice!

I'd like to add adaptive cruise, but I've never tried it.

Associate
Rear view camera , must have option for me now. Helps lining up the car into parking bays a doddle. Had it as standard on my previous car but had to spec it on my current.

Adaptive Cruise Control , didnt really spec it as it came with it as standard. Used it and now love it as it can deal with normal motorway cruising and also stop start slow traffic.

Automatic gearbox , a decent one with manual override on the gear lever would be my choice. Made the switch to an auto about 8-9 years ago.

Soldato
For safety: ABS. I had a brown trouser moment many years ago in a non ABS Cavalier when some muppet pulled out on me. Flat-spotted all 4 tyres and fortunately no-one coming the other way. The Vectra I got a little later was a revelation by comparison.

For luxury: Heated seats - that warmth in your lower back on a cold winter morning.

Soldato
One I wouldn't be without on daily driver is ESP or similar. Been on a driving course to try with and without and it's saved me once (when a barrel rolled onto a dual carriageway in front of me!) so definitely not to be sniffed at. ABS is similar.

Anything else is a bonus I suppose.

On my 'fun car', it doesn't really matter. In fact, most gadgets would make it worse, especially power steering!

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I agree with keyless entry/start, its not something i would ever have considered, but since having it, its pretty high on the list of things to have, along with Xenons and Pana roof.

I'd love adaptive cruise, but its always been far to expensive an option for me. Most other things i think are nice but not must haves, ie auto wipers/lights, heated steering/seats, sat nav etc.

Soldato
Keyless entry and start as long as it's done properly (e.g. BMW, and not Mazda, who lock the door as soon as you close it, meaning you need to unlock it again to open the rear door............)

My Mazda with keyless entry and start doesn't do this. Sounds like a dealer setting, which would make sense for a loan car - didn't you have it whilst yours was being fixed?

Mine will lock itself after 30 seconds if I just wander off without using the door buttons.

Soldato
As long as I can play music and it has your basic air con etc what more do you need in a car? Give me a nice sounding engine to listen to any day of the week.
Your supposed to be driving and concentrating on everything around you not playing about with gadgets like all this on star crap Vauxhall are putting in cars :p
I wouldn't even want keyless entry as i just wouldn't be able to settle knowing someone could just drive it away if they decide they want to steal it and have the means to bypass the signal

Caporegime
My current favorite is my "virtual cockpit" in the S3. Great amount of information available right in your eye-line, and configurable to show you what you want, when you want.

That said, it's also nice now I've got the MX5 to be able to drop the roof when the weather is nice :p

Don
Top three for me

1) A good stereo. I don't mean the junk that most manufacturers put in as standard, but the decent top-end stuff that no one ever pays money for as an option (£2k on 21" rims but won't pay £400 for the decent hifi)
2) Keyless entry/start
3) Reverse / surround cameras

Some things I have in my car that I really like, but probably wouldn't pay money for: Heated steering wheel, cooled seats, massage seats, and panoramic roof.

Associate
Got to be climate control first for me. None of the other toys are any fun if you're a squishy puddle on a hot day or so cold you can't touch the controls in winter.
Adaptive cruise is really good on long motorway journeys, good sound system, rear camera and parking sensors. Made the switch to auto box a few years ago and wouldn't go back unless I was buying a 'fun car'. My last two cars have had 'apps' which allow remote starting which is great (but not so green) in preparing the car's internal climate.

Caporegime
OP
Your supposed to be driving and concentrating on everything around you not playing about with gadgets like all this on star crap

In fairness, many of the things listed actually mean you have to fiddle with things less (voice control, auto high low beam etc)

Soldato
I'm a simple man. My favourite is probbaly climate control. The car always being comfortable without having to constantly fiddle with dials I can appreciate.
Same. Annoyingly my company wagons haven't had it which is pretty annoying as even the wifes Punto has dual zone climate.

Second for me is probably cruise. Never tried adaptive cruise but it sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom