Your favourite car gadget/spec

Associate
Cruise control and bluetooth.

They are the two "must haves". Whether they are factory fitted or retrofitted. I also much prefer a car with rear parking sensors, but may not actually bother to retrofit them if a car doesn't have them.

Audio is also a big plus. If a car has uprated speakers, I love that. But I am not adverse to fitting better speakers if it's easy enough to do. Most of the older cars I buy I generally swap out the headunit for something with more power, and bluetooth.
i have a friend like that who literally cannot reverse park a car due to constant reliance on them.

i laugh at some of the younger drivers today who cant reverse park etc in fact its amazing how many drivers nowadays rely on sat nav etc just to go for a drive to the next town etc.

my son looks at me as if im stupid when i pull out the old A-Z glasgow street finder and tell him thats my sat nav if i ever need it:D

Soldato
i have a friend like that who literally cannot reverse park a car due to constant reliance on them.

i laugh at some of the younger drivers today who cant reverse park etc in fact its amazing how many drivers nowadays rely on sat nav etc just to go for a drive to the next town etc.

my son looks at me as if im stupid when i pull out the old A-Z glasgow street finder and tell him thats my sat nav if i ever need it:D

Yeah, I'm not so bad that I "need" the sensors. My Passat doesn't have them, and unless a cheap deal comes up on a decent system, I won't likely do it myself either. But I do find them incredibly useful when required. But then, apart from the Golf, I generally prefer bigger motors where they are genuinely useful.

As for satnav. I like to have it, for sure. But I have an old Garmin I bought for a U.S. holiday about 7 years ago with the latest maps, so I wouldn't generally go about looking for an integrated system. Apart from on my ED30, or if it really lifts the car, I upgraded the Nav from the MFD2 to the RNS510 on my ED30 though. But that was as much for the aesthetic it brought to the interior. But I do use Nav a reasonable amount. Not so much to see where I'm going, but more for the arrival time it gives me, and my game of trying to beat it by xx minutes.

Associate
Yeah, I'm not so bad that I "need" the sensors. My Passat doesn't have them, and unless a cheap deal comes up on a decent system, I won't likely do it myself either. But I do find them incredibly useful when required. But then, apart from the Golf, I generally prefer bigger motors where they are genuinely useful.

As for satnav. I like to have it, for sure. But I have an old Garmin I bought for a U.S. holiday about 7 years ago with the latest maps, so I wouldn't generally go about looking for an integrated system. Apart from on my ED30, or if it really lifts the car, I upgraded the Nav from the MFD2 to the RNS510 on my ED30 though. But that was as much for the aesthetic it brought to the interior. But I do use Nav a reasonable amount. Not so much to see where I'm going, but more for the arrival time it gives me, and my game of trying to beat it by xx minutes.
i have them on my peugeot 407 and the 1st thing i done when i got the car was deactivted them, i found them to be highly annoying although i can understand why people want/.use them.

what i dont understand is the reverse parking sensors that are on the front of the car:confused:

Soldato
See I like them too. Easier to get right deep into the parking space, if your parking forward first (like when your shopping, otherwise I always reverse). Saves the back end of a massive car hanging out the bay of the stupid little parking bays you get in this country, whilst leaving a good foot to the bollard / car in the next bay.

Thats what they are for.

Soldato
I have to squeeze 3 cars onto my drive and I'd love to have front sensors as long as the final beep got me close enough. Then again over the years I've nudged every combination of cars at some point and never left a mark so I guess it doesn't really matter at super slow speeds :p

Associate
Getting spoiled for choice these days, I remember the manual choke!

Apart from the essentials climate control, hands free - my latest favorite gadget especially in the winter mornings has to be . "pre entry climate control"

Leaving for work 7am in the morning seeing people scraping the ice of their windscreens I walk out of the house to a fully defrosted car, upon opening the door I feel the hot ambient temperature and pre heated seats & steering wheel greet me with a warming glow.

All done from my phone whilst eating cornflakes. or ofc scheduled.

Yes ...Lazy but just brilliant!

Soldato
Adaptive Cruise Control. I'll be speccing any future car with it from now on.
Surround cameras. It makes maneuvering my wife's bus a lot easier
Cooled seats. Mine are a bit hit and miss but when it's 35c outside, it's nice to get my arse cooled. Just need a cooled steering wheel now.
Remote start. My wife's car has it but mine doesn't. I can't even lock mine when the engine is running which makes getting it cooled down on a hot day a pain.

Associate
A working heater - if you have ever owned a series 3 land rover you will know what i mean.
Power Steering - most people would cry if they had to experience non power steering especially parking.
Keyless/remote doorlocks - remember the icy mornings when you had to breathe into the doorlocks:eek:

Or are we taking them for granted in this thread?

Caporegime
A working heater - if you have ever owned a series 3 land rover you will know what i mean.
Power Steering - most people would cry if they had to experience non power steering especially parking.
Keyless/remote doorlocks - remember the icy mornings when you had to breathe into the doorlocks:eek:

Or are we taking them for granted in this thread?

I think things like power steering are taken for granted, even the entry level korean made cars come with them now, same with a heater and central locking.

Personally I miss my keyless entry and start I had in my last car. It's so convenient, I never had to touch my keys really.

Soldato
keyless entry/start, because it makes it so much easier to steal cars with my master keys. saved me loads of trips to get keys cut and i dont have to break into your house to get the key either :D

Also those over the air updates are great too cos it means i can use your car just like an rc car. its like playing gta but irl and when the car wrecks i dont get wasted because i am not in it, also saves me the petrol cost too cos i dont have to burn it out in a field to make sure there are no dna or fingerprints to find. great for the planet too.

Cant forget tyre pressure monitors too which tell me if my tyres are 0.000001 psi too high or low. They really get me the most out of my footpump.

Back
Top Bottom