Your favourite chilli sauce is?

Caporegime
I very much enjoy the Encona standard sauce as a staple.

I often see large bottles of the Flying Goose Sirachi Hot Chilli Sauce in the supermarket...does anyone have any experience with it?
Flying goose stuff is nice, I use their sriracha sauces a lot, never had the hot chilli one though. They are a big cut above your usual supermarket fare though. However, the price reflects this.

Caporegime
Tried the Carolina reaper encona today.

Don’t be fooled by it being sold in everyday supermarkets, the stuff is damn hot. Instantly intense burn. Even a little dab on the finger is bad, a big dollop on your chips would put you through the roof.

Soldato
I very much enjoy the Encona standard sauce as a staple.

I often see large bottles of the Flying Goose Sirachi Hot Chilli Sauce in the supermarket...does anyone have any experience with it?

Flying Goose Sriracha and Encona Hot Pepper are staples in my fridge.

Sriracha gets added to sandwiches every lunchtime, goes great with egg mayo, tuna and stuff. Also awesome mixed with mayonaisse and used as a burger relish or just for dipping. It's pretty authentic and you'll see it used all over SE Asia. Bahn Mi etc need a dash of it.

Encona is my go to for any dish that's just a bit meh. Great for zinging up vegetarian meals, grilled veg and the like.

Soldato
Tried the Carolina reaper encona today.

Don’t be fooled by it being sold in everyday supermarkets, the stuff is damn hot. Instantly intense burn. Even a little dab on the finger is bad, a big dollop on your chips would put you through the roof.

I don't find it particularly hotter than thier standard hot sauce.. Just different and more tasty i think. It's got a more dark smokey flavour to it as opposed the the more citrus hot one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't find it particularly hotter than thier standard hot sauce.. Just different and more tasty i think. It's got a more dark smokey flavour to it as opposed the the more citrusy hot one.
Tried more last night with egg and chips. I actually agree with you, it was very hot initially, but I got used to it quickly, and it actually was a lot milder than at first impressions.

What I did find though is that rather than a hot sauce, I’d say it’s closer to a spicy ketchup. Great on chips and chicken etc, but not for things like splashing over jambalaya or chilli con carne

Soldato
Tried more last night with egg and chips. I actually agree with you, it was very hot initially, but I got used to it quickly, and it actually was a lot milder than at first impressions.

What I did find though is that rather than a hot sauce, I’d say it’s closer to a spicy ketchup. Great on chips and chicken etc, but not for things like splashing over jambalaya or chilli con carne

Yeh it's almost like a very hot BBQ sauce for want of a better expression.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't find it particularly hotter than thier standard hot sauce.. Just different and more tasty i think. It's got a more dark smokey flavour to it as opposed the the more citrus hot one.

Weird as I swear the Original is hotter than the Reaper.

It just has a nice taste. Not particularly hot. They do a Scotch Bonnet one which I personally find better.

Still none of these are that hot. For something with a proper punch in the supermarket I would go for East End Green Chilli Sauce.

Soldato
If you love spicy crisps which are actually burning hot. Seabrooks Fire Eaters Scorchin’ Hot Trinidad Scorpion Chilli.

I hate when companies call their food hot n spicy when it’s neither. I had some crisps and they were so mild that my grandmother who can’t tolerate any spice (bar ginger flavoured cakes and biscuits) could eat them.

Soldato
If you love spicy crisps which are actually burning hot. Seabrooks Fire Eaters Scorchin’ Hot Trinidad Scorpion Chilli.

I hate when companies call their food hot n spicy when it’s neither. I had some crisps and they were so mild that my grandmother who can’t tolerate any spice (bar ginger flavoured cakes and biscuits) could eat them.

They do have a kick, prefer the chilli and lemon ones though, banging crisps.

Associate
Encona standard when I just want something cheap from the supermarket. In Mexico I like the mushed up Habanero puree they do.

I also have some Isle Of Wight Garlic farm Vampire Slayer, which is really nice at the moment.

Soldato
Not strictly a sauce, but I was knocking up a tofu stir fry the other day and marinaded it in some Chiu Chow chilli oil, hoi sin, soy and garlic.

Damn, forgot how good the Chiu Chow, and how much the heat builds....gets a proper burn on after a few mouthfuls!

Associate
I tried the Flying Goose Hot Chilli Sauce and it is indeed very tasty....certainly has that extra unami element to the flavour (all due to the e621 msg).

That said not hot enough for my tastes as found myself reaching for the Encona to add too the veggie/ lentil lunch dish I had prepared)

Am also aware that Flying Goose do an extra hot version so will give that a go when this small bottle come to an end.

Back
Top Bottom