Your hopes/predictions for an Apple Tablet

Soldato
Yes I know there are a million threads about tomorrows event but here is one just for the apple tablet :D

my hopes are:

iPhone like OS - easy to use, with an app store
10" OLED (unlikely) or AMO-LED screen
Multi tasking somehow (tabs/gestures?)
no 3G connection (it would be nice but would inevitably involve a contract)
3D camera with videochat + front facing camera
innovative text input - handwriting recognition or a decent on screen keyboard.
more multitouch gestures
Compatible with iPhone apps - would work like OS X widgets
ebook reader
all the usual iphone stuff - iPod, video player, safari browser, youtube viewer
wifi sync with iTunes
64 or 128Gb capacity
£500 / £650

If it had all that I'll be queuing outside the door on launch day!

Man of Honour
To me it's useless without 3G and I'm not interested. That aside I just want a 10" screen to read the paper, my email etc on the train, maybe watch some video. If it had video conferencing that'd be nice. Price doesn't concern me much but it must have 3G, otherwise it's sod all use outside the front door.

Soldato
^ This pretty much. Id prefer it to be more OSX like than iPhone OS.

3G is a must, and id be suprised if they make you plug in a mobile dongle to get that, it should be, flat, touchscreen and no need to plug stuff into it just to get online.

I belive some laptops already have a spot behind the bettery where you slot in your mobile internet sim to get online, so im hoping apple will have the same kind of thing, maybe something on the top like the iPhone would be just as good

Soldato
Hope: The tech press will stop jizzing themselves over it.
Prediction: 12,000 blog posts an hour regurgitating the same news over and over and over.

Associate
On top of the other wishes:

thin but sturdy (e.g. like a pad of A4 paper)
pen input / handwriting recognition (along with gesture and soft keyboard)
decent battery life
separate optional, extremely thin / portable wireless keyboard.
a piece of software akin to Microsoft OneNote - which I still miss having moved from Windows 18 months ago).

It'd be my perfect meeting tool and "stuff" organiser.

Soldato
It should have 3G. Almost certainly will if Orange were involved (And i've already predicted it was going to have conference abilities and I'm never wrong :p).

If it's got a nice 10" screen and doesn't run on an iPhone OS stretched upwards I would be very very tempted to use as a portfolio. The amount of times I'm asked "Could I see some of your work" and I don't have any to hand is daft. It would have to be thin and weigh nothing though (IE a 10" iPhone) , or you're just back to a laptop.

Associate
I think the experience of holding a 10" laptop in one hand while using it with the other will take a lot of getting used to, especially if it is a little weighty, thin and slippery!
3G would be good, but tethering would be good too.

Soldato
I really have no idea what to expect from Apple tomorrow but whatever it is I can bet you there is something in it that will surprise us. I'm wondering if this is going to be Steve Jobs' last big project at Apple, his health hasn't been great the past year and I think he would want to leave the company with a great product behind him.

Man of Honour
I think the experience of holding a 10" laptop in one hand while using it with the other will take a lot of getting used to, especially if it is a little weighty, thin and slippery!
3G would be good, but tethering would be good too.

I was thinking that at first. But then it occured to me that I'd love to carry on browsing/reading.watching on a train while commuting to work. Normally I can't be bothered to get the laptop out and it would be impossible if I am standing. But I could easily get a tablet out and do it.

Soldato
3g : I'd like it but it's not a complete show stopper as long as it has wifi
OS: I'd prefer a more general purpose OS than the iphone OS

I don't want an ebook read type device as I don't think I'd use it that much. I want something more general purpose which I can install whatever applications I want on it easily. Use it for ebooks if I need to but also use it for other things too.

SDHC slots would be nice to add chunks of storage (e.g. pdfs).

Soldato
a proper OS would be much better than an iphone style OS for me at least, 3g port, sdhc, miniusb/firewire port and upgradable Hard drive or at least a 500gb+ laptop one to start with and a high res screen at least 720p :D

Associate
Im just interested so i can start making apps for it, i already have some idea's floating around in my head for the commercial market. If it's anything like what was shown in the video above then it's going to start carving it's own market segment, yes there has been tablet computers around for a while, but none of them seem to have hit the nail on the head with their designs.

Back
Top Bottom