1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your ideal form of government?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Indy500, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Indy500

Capodecina

Mine is very small. To be exact:

-Providing a civil courts system for disputes and minor offences such as slander, and a criminal justice system for violence-related crimes, fraud, and coercion\harassment

-Providing national defense

-Issuing currency

All other services would be managed\run at the local council level, and because citizens elect councillors to represent them, they would have substantially more control over it than they do now.

To quote Ron Paul:

"The problem is that politicians are not supposed to have power over us - we're supposed to be free. We seem to have forgotten that freedom means the absence of government coercion. So when politicians and the media celebrate political power, they really are celebrating the power of certain individuals to use coercive state force.

Remember that one's relationship with the state is never voluntary. Every government edict, policy, regulation, court decision, and law ultimately is backed up by force, in the form of police, guns, and jails. That is why political power must be fiercely constrained by the people."

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

Mine's very similar to yours, although I would also split many things away from local or national government control, because I believe that private industry generally (when not composed of a mandated or handed over monopoly) provides much better services, even if the distribution of those services is handled by the state (eg voucher provision).

Small government for the win :)

3. Indy500

Capodecina

When I said services I meant things like police...unless you think we ought to make that private too?

4. Dolph

Man of Honour

The police force probably not, I was thinking more of things like education and healthcare.

5. Indy500

Capodecina

Small government would need miniscule taxation, so it would mean the majority could pay directly for locally provided services as you mentioned above and still live comfortably.

6. Raz

Mobster

How would they be restricted in the business sense i.e creating a monopoly for financial gains, rather than providing a good service? With the right people and the right Government controlling everything, the people could expect what they want when they want.

7. Indy500

Capodecina

Thats what laws are for.

Government controls pretty much everything now, does it look like a paradise to you?

8. Raz

Mobster

That's why I said the right people and the right Government :)

I'm all for a large Government, but the problem is if one part gets corrupt, then potentially the entire Government can also, I guess that would be bad for the country :)

9. Indy500

Capodecina

Which is mainly why I want a small, restricted one. Limits the potential damage.

10. Raz

Mobster

Fair enough. But with regards to private companies enforcing law and such, would that not cause competition etc? We have laws now, but that doesn't stop companies i.e. rail firms looking only to make profit.

11. Indy500

Capodecina

You mean at the expense of safety? Thats partly because theres too much conflict of interest with government and business intertwining. Also, I don't recall the laws being *enforced* against companies involved in the railways, even during massive incidents.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

That's where consumer responsibility comes in. The absolute best people to rein in the power of corporations are the people who buy things off them, rather than the government. If people shop with their concience as much as their wallet, then things would improve quite a lot. Unfortunately, we don't have that at the moment, most people shop where it's cheapest then if something goes wrong, expects the government to step in (minimum wage legislation, for example, or the smoking ban in bars)

Remember we're pretty much talking about ideal world conditions here :)

13. Raz

Mobster

I think that's the key bit :)

In that case, we may have a while to go before conscious takes over from greed. However in that case I would still support a larger effective Government.

14. Seft

Mobster

Microgovernment here too, although I'd probably keep the police under the control of the state.

Actually on second reading, it seems that you're advocating federalism, rather than microgovernment (Local government is, after all, government). I'd certainly have education and healthcare in the private sector.

Frankly I'm surprised the thread has lasted this long without the 'big-government' bods invading.

15. Indy500

Capodecina

Local government is far easier for citizens to have control over as opposed to a centralised bureaucracy based in Westminster...

Fair enough, so what do you propose instead of local councils?

16. Meridian

Man of Honour

This is SC - most people here are pretty right-wing, economically at least. Don't expect much dissention.

M

17. 233

Capodecina

mad dicator ***

18. daz

Capodecina

On a small scale, a benevolent dictatorship would probably be very efficient.

19. Heaven Can Wait

Hitman

Ideal?
    No government!
    100% Libertarian :D

20. anarchist

PermaBanned

So keep the status quo then? ;)