Your views on gun laws in the UK

Associate
Personally i would love to be able to legally carry as a form of self protection as they can in Texas, the sense of self protection appeals to me. Even the churchmen in various states in America arm themselves.

But, can you imagine they legalised guns in Britain, it would be a pretty nasty outcome to say the least, because we are not a mature people, in the states they treat guns with so much respect and it fundamentally adds a whole new level to respect and responsibility that i sometimes wish i could be part off.

Compare the US to the UK for example, we are so conditioned to not protect ourselves and to have fairly controversial sentencings that it must really dumb us down a lot. Imagine we could all be armed and yet have utmost respect for our firearms. I suppose I'm saying, why can't we be more like the Americans.

Soldato
Because we don't want to be like Americans
/Thread.
There is nothing more intimidating than mr joe carrying a fatal weapon in public, I wouldn't trust myself let alone the general public.

Caporegime
in the states they treat guns with so much respect and it fundamentally adds a whole new level to respect and responsibility that i sometimes wish i could be part off.

I suppose I'm saying, why can't we be more like the Americans.

I assume you're kidding on both those points.

Permabanned
Personally i would love to be able to legally carry as a form of self protection as they can in Texas, the sense of self protection appeals to me. Even the churchmen in various states in America arm themselves.

But, can you imagine they legalised guns in Britain, it would be a pretty nasty outcome to say the least, because we are not a mature people, in the states they treat guns with so much respect and it fundamentally adds a whole new level to respect and responsibility that i sometimes wish i could be part off.

Compare the US to the UK for example, we are so conditioned to not protect ourselves and to have fairly controversial sentencings that it must really dumb us down a lot. Imagine we could all be armed and yet have utmost respect for our firearms. I suppose I'm saying, why can't we be more like the Americans.

They do not treat guns with respect in the United States, quite the opposite in fact.

Associate
OP
I assume you're kidding on both those points.

No i'm not kidding, they have always had the right to carry weapons over there. They don't see it as we do, we see it as imminent death, they see it as self preservation. So no i am not kidding.

Associate
Americans aren't mature or responsible with guns either, hence the accidental shootings that happen every year. You only have to look at the recent case of Treyvon Martin to see the risks that giving the public guns can give.

I don't trust most people in the UK or US to drive a car (and drive accordinly). Why would i trust you or anyone else to carry a fatal weapon without *any* training?!?

Soldato

Derp. If you want a serious discussion, try again.

3/10 for the troll effort.

Try better next time.

Not even a 3.

Permabanned
No i'm not kidding, they have always had the right to carry weapons over there. They don't see it as we do, we see it as imminent death, they see it as self preservation. So no i am not kidding.

That simply isn't true......the historical constitutional right to bear arms has not given the United States some greater respect for Guns, it has had the totally opposite effect.

You might not be kidding, but you are wrong.

Soldato
Self-protection?

If you gave guns to a random group, say 10 people, at least 5 of them, maybe more would immediately shoot someone, maybe one of the other group, then they'd have 2 guns.

The only people that should be allowed to have guns are the military, and the armed response.

Us English people, well most of us, like to think we can settle a dispute over a pint, or a cup o' tea, not a "dual at dawn at 10 paces"

There is not justifiable reason that anyone can propose for anyone (except those I have mentioned) to have a gun.

We all own a knife of some sort, "stabby-stabby" is much more effective and less, death-inducing than "Bang....dead"

If someone breaks into your home you stab, you don't shoot, knives are quieter, until the screaming starts, cutting off a few fingers, limbs, or testicles tends to make people scream, right?

If this guy is serious, he's dumber than I've been accused of, where's Tummy when you need him

Associate
OP
They do not treat guns with respect in the United States, quite the opposite in fact.

I totally disagree, if you took account the number of guns in America Vs. the number of gun crimes then it's actually tiny, yet we have many crimes over here(overall we have the second most crime in the world - after the US).

Commissario

No.

Man of Honour
Utterly stupid idea, current gun laws are fine. People don't need to be carrying them.

I don't want to be more like the Americans.

Soldato
Op must be trolling. There's no way a civilized mind would think like that, surely.

Holding a gun gives you an air of respect and responsibility?
Why can't be more like the Americans?

rolfcopter.

Soldato
The current law is fine, it allows hobbyists and farmers. I don't think all firearms should be banned for civilians, it should just be very strict and controlled.

Permabanned
I totally disagree, if you took account the number of guns in America Vs. the number of gun crimes then it's actually tiny, yet we have many crimes over here(overall we have the second most crime in the world - after the US).

Having spent a significant portion of my childhood in the US and having first hand experience of just how much respect people have for guns, including being involved directly with the consequences of lax gun laws and easy access to guns in the US I can tell you that you are talking nonsence.

You can disagree all you want, but you are still wrong.

Soldato
I can see it now,

*flashback music*

man goes to pay for some fuel...

Man: er....hi, I've just filled up my car (in england we drive cars, not trucks) but I don't have any money to pay
Petrol guy: er....well you have to pay it's the la....

*bang, then death*

Man: What was that? I couldn't quite hear you since I blew your mouth off with my gun that I'm legally allowed to carry with me, even take it to tesco, isn't the law fun?

*Flashback music*

Somehow, I can see the reason why English law doesn't allow us to carry guns.

If you like the American gun laws so much, move there.

/End o' thread

Soldato
Current gun laws are perhaps a bit strict (forcing the national pistol team to go to another country to practice and planning on preventing pistol events from actually using proper ammunition and using lasers instead) in a sporting sense. Saying we should be like America and allow people to carry them or even own them on the grounds of self defence is retarded and anyone thinking otherwise is insane. All firearms are dangerous and using them outside of sport or the military is a ridiculous notion that leads to an arms race between law enforcement, criminals and citizens that leads to lots of dead people.

Man of Honour

Britain not a mature people and America is? Americans treat guns with so much respect? I'm calling shenanigans on this.

America is a great country in many ways with many fantastic people but it's also terrible in other ways and the parts you've highlighted are pretty dubious reasoning at best.

Is this something about our self-defence laws again? Please tell me you're not going to bring up Tony Martin as an example of where the law went wrong?

Back
Top Bottom