Your views on Raheem Sterling's gun tattoo?

Caporegime
Sorry if there's already a discussion on this, I couldn't see one.

Raheem Sterling has gotten a tattoo of an automatic weapon on his lower leg.

Interesting twitter discussion going on with Piers Morgan (for the prosecution) and Gary Lineker (for the defence).

Raheem has published an explanation, which is basically that his dad was shot.

Is this tattoo completely inappropriate going into a tournament where it could be seen by billions as glorifying guns (if he doesn't pull his socks up!), or is it perfectly ok and is this just another example of Sterling / England players being targeted by the media ahead of a major tournament?

Personally I'm in what appears to be the minority in saying that he should be a role model and the tattoo is inappropriate.

The explanation aims to tug at the heart strings, but doesn't really make any sense to me. If his dad was killed by a Ford Mondeo would he tattoo that on his leg too? The explanation doesn't appear to be any kind of anti-gun commentary, just saying that he'll personally never touch a gun (just tattoo one to his leg :confused:) and he shoots at goal with that leg.

Lots of footballers are a bit thick, so I didn't expect a deep poetic explanation of the tattoo, but I'm not sure it's a well advised thing to do. I actually think he's done it for the coolness factor then panicked and made something up / linked it retrospectively to his dad.

But then he doesn't owe anyone, least of all me, an explanation I suppose!

X7RuCBu.png

And the explanation:

NFjqRpR.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a tattoo and it's hits leg who gives a flying **** really? Oh it's world cup year let's bash the team before they kick a ball.

I don't get why the media are so bothered by it... Utterly sad imo

Caporegime
It's a tattoo and it's hits leg who gives a flying **** really? Oh it's world cup year let's bash the team before they kick a ball.

I don't get why the media are so bothered by it... Utterly sad imo

Maybe because it's inappropriate for a national role model to have a tattoo of an assault rifle on his leg which could easily be misconstrued as supporting gun crime.

Soldato
Maybe because it's inappropriate for a national role model to have a tattoo of an assault rifle on his leg which could easily be misconstrued as supporting gun crime.

If people think hes supporting gun crime after his dad was killed by a gun then the viewer who thinks that is the idiot not raheem

Soldato
Again that's an idiot thing to assume, there people not role models aswell.

You know what they show as there persona, and many footballers appear great and nice people but to look at them as role models when you don't know them personally is also idiotic

Jumping to gun crime is a massive leap, it's also unfinished according to him so may change allot may not but again why does it matter to the nation?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Again that's an idiot thing to assume, there people not role models aswell.

You know what they show as there persona, and many footballers appear great and nice people but to look at them as role models when you don't know them personally is also idiotic

Jumping to gun crime is a massive leap, it's also unfinished according to him so may change allot may not but again why does it matter to the nation?

When they get selected for England they are even more of a role model.and should act the part imo.

Jumping to gun crime? I'm pretty sure that assault rifles are illegal in the UK and any use of one would also be illegal. It's hardly a jump.

What next? Tattoos of heroin - but don't jump to drug crime it could be completely legitimate?

Isis tattoos? And so on.

Soldato
When they get selected for England they are even more of a role model.and should act the part imo.

Jumping to gun crime? I'm pretty sure that assault rifles are illegal in the UK and any use of one would also be illegal. It's hardly a jump.

What next? Tattoos of heroin - but don't jump to drug crime it could be completely legitimate?

Isis tattoos? And so on.

Would you accuse him of promoting guns if he played call of duty all the time or had a call of duty tattoo with a gun in it??

Soldato
Non story, quite a crap tattoo but those linking it to gun crime are the ones with the issue rather than the guy getting the tattoo.

Footballers aren't role models either.

Soldato
Think the sole reason was that he shoots with his right leg. Now added the part about his Dad so he can fob people off that there’s deeper meaning. He doesn’t strike me as particularly bright.
Either way, linking it to gun crime is ridiculous and is just another thing for people to go OTT about. The joys of living in a SJW world.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
its a crap tattoo..but it means nothing, false outrage

and the sun seem to have it in for him, they seem to love picking on him in particular

just in time to unsettle the team for the world cup...so they can moan about that as well

Back
Top Bottom