Your windows license will expire soon

Soldato
I'm getting this message as of last night. There's no activate button though. I bought this Dell laptop end of last year from Gumtree with Windows 10 Pro on it. The seller was selling several of the same model at the same time so I'm assuming they were originally licensed to a business. Not sure how to go about fixing this and don't want to be paying for a license I wasn't expecting to buy when I bought the machine. I do remember saying to the seller there's no CD if I wanted to reinstall and he said something about windows anniversary.

Anyway, I found some possible workarounds by disabling things like Windows services and updates but I'm not sure if that's the way I should approach this. Any suggestions?

Soldato
Reselling of a Windows license from an OEM build is not allowed. Seller should have provided a key, either a new OEM key or retail key.
Microsoft have probably identified your license as invalid and is going to disable it.
You'll probably have to buy a new one.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
windows 8 / 10 keys are in the bios there are various tools that will read them if you are lucky he used a dodgy image but you still have a good key in the bios

rweverything I think one of the tools is called.. get the serial and try retyping it

Soldato
Appears to be a corporate key. Not something that should be using.

If the machine is bios licensed for Windows 10 you may be able to use one of the default keys Microsoft publish (Google 'windows 10 default key' or similar).

Associate
A @bremen1874 just said, the key being used was activated using a server that was used by the business that owned the laptop before and since that can no longer be contacted the license is no longer valid, but considering the age of the laptop it might have a windows 7 key (most likely in the battery compartment) that could be used to activate it as long as the original key is a pro key.

Soldato
OP
Thanks bremen. I found the default win 10 key and it appears to be something to use when upgrading from Win 10 Home to Pro, and only to test/try Pro after which you have to buy a valid Pro key. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A @bremen1874 just said, the key being used was activated using a server that was used by the business that owned the laptop before and since that can no longer be contacted the license is no longer valid, but considering the age of the laptop it might have a windows 7 key (most likely in the battery compartment) that could be used to activate it as long as the original key is a pro key.

Well, well, well, look what I found. Spot on mate, spot on. There it is in the battery compartment, win 7 key AND it's Pro!

So does this mean I can now activate by using the change product key and continue using Win 10 Pro?
Also, where I've painted in blue, there's 3 and 5 digits at the end of the product key sticker, like XXX-XXXXX. I don't know what these are. Could they be part of some other product key under the sticker?

Soldato
Thanks bremen. I found the default win 10 key and it appears to be something to use when upgrading from Win 10 Home to Pro, and only to test/try Pro after which you have to buy a valid Pro key. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, well, well, look what I found. Spot on mate, spot on. There it is in the battery compartment, win 7 key AND it's Pro!

So does this mean I can now activate by using the change product key and continue using Win 10 Pro?
Also, where I've painted in blue, there's 3 and 5 digits at the end of the product key sticker, like XXX-XXXXX. I don't know what these are. Could they be part of some other product key under the sticker?

You can try and type that key in, there are usually 2 numbers on the sticker you want the one that's equal numbered blocks..

I bet it will not work, they probably used a corporate / msdn key to upgrade or install windows 10... So your pc's w7 key was never used to upgrade to 10... And they stopped the free upgrade a few months ago

Back
Top Bottom