1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youths must do voluntary work

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by TheCenturion, Apr 11, 2009.

1. alexakasloth

Soldato

Sounds like an ill-thought suggestion to gain some publicity. What age are they thinking this is to be done at, 16 or 18? Otherwise I would imagine that would be a form of child labour and so it would be at an age where lots of school leavers or college leavers are wanting to do something with their life and have some sort of plan, sure there are school/college leavers who don't know what they want to do. However, stopping someone from doing what they want to do when they have to chance to, career wise, is quite frankly stupid. Also, many youths already do voluntary work for CV or for their university application to make them stand out, if someone is forced into charity work it would take this away.

2. Chimerical

Soldato

Well, I doubt I would have appreciated being forced into anything like this when I was younger. In fact it would have made me resent authority and adults more because its yet another example of people dictating stuff.

Funnily enough I don't drink and have never really liked the taste of it so in that instance I vote everyone over the age of 30 who drinks alcohol be forced to do some really pointless 'community' work because I'm so much morally better than them and oh-so-responsible.

3. Indy500

Capodecina

Nice use of doublespeak there.

4. arknor

Caporegime

might teach them some respect and i wouldnt call a year or two short term when your talking about the army.

it works for other countries anyway

5. Indy500

Capodecina

Yes, Russian conscription was a lovely thing when they were sent into Chechnya...:p

6. Dolph

Man of Honour

Stupid, pointless, unnecessary, ineffective and far too authoritarian.

It's true that young people who do voluntary work are generally better members of society than those who do not, but the correlation doesn't equal causation here. Forcing people to do this voluntary work will achieve absolutely nothing, because people who are better members of society choose voluntary work, the voluntary work doesn't make them better.

Yet another stupid measure that fails to tackle the root cause of the problems in the UK, a lack of personal responsibility caused by an excessive nannying state since the introduction of a badly designed society social safety net.

7. stockhausen

Capodecina

Army - no mention
    Killing people - no mention
    Two years - no mention
    National Service - no mention

Perhaps this fifty hours compulsory community service could be better spent teaching people to read rather than "helping out charities in the UK and abroad".

8. arknor

Caporegime

you do understand what a discussion is and that people bring there own ideas and opinions along when they join in? we can read perfectly fine

9. D D Danneh

Mobster

Hang on hang on, so I'm now required to take the same "punishment" that a criminal has to? I'm all for voluntary charity work, but when it's not voluntary, it becomes slave labour - okay, not to such an extent, but I mean the idea of unpaid compulsory work.

Although, of course I'd much rather be cleaning streets than going to school and, oh, I don't know... getting an education?

Ah well.

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

Another badly thought out idea from the government...

What would make far more sense than forcing people to stay on after 16 and forcing people to do voluntary (lol) work imo would be to make this the natural progression for those who at 16 don't have an idea of what to do next and would otherwise drop out of education and onto job seekers and end up going nowhere. But not force it on people who know what they are doing with their life.

11. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

Kids in Iceland used to have to work for a lot of their summer holidays to pay for the books they used for state education. When we were there on hoiday, is was great having them carry suitcases and stuff.

The EU calls it child slavery, however.

Intrinsically, there is nothing wrong with the idea of making kids work for a given period in their educational career. However, as Dolph suggested, there are far more fundamental problems in this country than would be solved by 50hrs community service.

Why do some kids go out in the evenings and drink? Why do others hang around with their hands clutching parts of their bodies?

Did somebody say "parents?"

Personally, as a dad, I have nothing against my daughter and any brothers and sisters she may or may not have in future going out to do community service for a period of time. It may probably do her some good. As long as the scheme is well thought-out and the objectives/results are clear.

12. wildman

Soldato

The govenrment should scrap this idea and just bring back national service. A compulsory 2 year stint in the forces for which you get paid (albeit minimum wage) from ages 16-18 for those not staying on to do further studies / A-levels. 18-20 for those who did A-Levels but aren't going to uni.

13. stockhausen

Capodecina

Why the armed forces?

Is that the only area of this country that is in need of mass cheap labour? Why not train them in the building trade and repair some of the ageing housing stock, build more houses for rent, repair the roads, work on farms, clean up the countryside or any of hundreds of useful activities that don't involve killing, maiming and destroying - potentially of of some of themselves?

Hopefully if any Government were to bring in such a stupid idea which is most unlikely unless we have a really serious disastrous economic crisis, we would have massive numbers of young people proclaiming themselves as conscientious objectors to fighting America's vile wars of aggression.

14. Chimerical

Soldato

Now I agree with that. War has become far too political in my mind for National Service, unless everyone means that the youths could work in non-violent jobs within the Armed Forces, which seems slightly pointless as they could go anywhere for that.

Plus, as stockhausen says, young people simply wouldn't want it and for the potential Einsteins out there, the Government would essentially be confining them to wasting two years of their lives.

That's a bad reason. What about college? Are you saying that every job that doesn't require further education is worthless thus should be replaced with NS?

15. RDM

Capodecina

The armed forces wouldn't want them. Conscription generally doesn't give you the professional soldiers you need for a modern army.

16. wildman

Soldato

The reason I said armed forces is that it might be a good way of instilling some discipline and national selfworth into the youth of today. I know there isn't much for us all to be proud of in this country at the moment seeing how the banks and current government have borught this country to its knees, but people should still try and have some sense of pride in the country and try to make it a better place to be rather than chaving it up down at the local shopping precinct or wandering the streets aimlessly with nothing to do.

17. Chimerical

Soldato

Again, that's another bad reason. You're simply using your own very biased viewpoint to cloud your vision.

Personally, I don't want more toffs running around in this country but is it my right to impose legislation to cut down on that type of lifestyle?

And that's simply what you're talking about. Lifestyle. Being a chav isn't ethically wrong, its just the new term that's applied to children of working class and/or possibly unemployed families. Essentially, it only means something in your highly subjective opinion.

18. Skidder

Man of Honour

Private schools have been doing this for years,because they see the benefits to pupil and the community. Why not.

19. stockhausen

Capodecina

Without some idea as to what "this" is, it is impossible to know in what way the pupil and the community might have benefited :confused:

20. Energize

Caporegime

National service is far too authoritarian and will just waste many peoples time including the armies.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009