Youtube blew my 24" iMac's speakers :(

Caporegime
Was watching youtube, a video was loading and i wanted to skip to midway, the video freezes and the it let out an almighty loud noise. I immediately closed the window and then when i listed to some music i notice the sound has a weird thud in the bass notes....listened more carefull, it looks like it's blown the cone !!!!

The treble is okay...thank god i have Applecare but does anyone know if Apple repair it on site or do they take it away to be repaired?

All my photos are on the mac and i can't live without the thing :(

Soldato
If you take it to a store they'll fix it in store, will take 5 - 7 days as a maximum and may be much sooner.

If you go through Applecare on the phone they'll pick it up take it away, fix it and send it back, not sure how long it takes though.

Soldato
Actually feel free to ignore my advice as I think it's completely wrong.

Just read this from the Applecare T&Cs :

Onsite service is available for many desktop computers if the location of the Covered
Equipment is within 50 miles/80 kilometers radius of an Apple authorized onsite service
provider located in a country listed in section 7(d). Onsite service is not available for certain
parts, the service for which is available under Do-It-Yourself Parts service described below.
Apple will dispatch a service technician to the location of the Covered Equipment or
arrange courier service to pick up the Covered Equipment. Service will be performed at
the location, or the service technician will transport the Covered Equipment to an Apple
Authorized Service Provider or Apple repair service location for repair. If the Covered
Equipment is repaired at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple repair service
location, Apple will arrange for transportation of the Covered Equipment to your location
following service. If the service technician is not granted access to the Covered
Equipment at the appointed time, any further onsite visits may be subject to an additional
charge.

I had absolutely no idea they did on-site repair, although it will be an Apple authorised service provider, and not specifically someone who works for Apple.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just realised I wouldn't even know if my iMac's speakers worked at all, I never use them :/

Actually I suppose it must use them to do the chime but I can't remember the last time I switched the thing off.

Soldato
I'd say give Applecare a ring and tell them you'd like onsite service, be interesting to see what they say. It won't be a DIY repair from my understanding as you can't be expected to take it apart.

Associate
That happens with my Macbook. Do you use the html5 beta (I do)? When I sometimes skip on YouTube it makes an almighty horrible noise. I don't know what causes it.

Associate
Just out of interest, were/are you using the HTML5 version of YouTube? When I opted into that my iMac speakers randomly let out a huge shriek regardless of the volume level, really quite scary at the time.

I switched back to the 'normal' flash version of YouTube and not had any problems since with the ear piercing noise. I know this isnt really a solution to your problem, locking the stable door after the horse has bolted but id be interested to know if you were on YouTube HTML5.

Good luck.

<edit> Oh, completely missed the other guys similar question, regarding HTML5. :>

Last edited:
Associate
I am chuckling to myself reading this thread, everyone must think I am mad in the office.

I have had the exact same thing, HTML5 beta on Youtube. My MacBook let out a really loud "Beeeeerrrrmmmm" and I **** myself. Was really funny and knowing other people have had it makes me think about how funny people must have been when they jumped out of their skin :p

Fully star out swearing.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I jumped when I did a firmware upgrade on my Mac Pro.

The speakers were turned down, but it let out a really weird (and loud!) noise from the internal speaker :(

Sounds like you best avoid YouTube betas from now on.

Back
Top Bottom