YouTube Music Premium

Soldato
Well I got the email yesterday about GPM bowing out at the end of the year and being swapped to Youtube Music. I opened YTM and saw a feedback box in which I promptly ranted about not being a 12yo listening to Justin Bieber who wants to see stupid videos when I'm listening to my music. Oh, and how they got rid of the Chromecast Audio... oh and why doesn't my GSuite account work with my Google Home :p

I'm on a £7.99 for life plan with GPM, I'm wondering if they're going to honour that on the switch to YTM. If they don't I can see me moving over to Tidal or something. Words cannot express how gash YTM looks :( :mad:

I am so worried about this that I'm not even going to look at YouTube music to as I don't want to be confirmed how crap I imagine it will be.

Stupid idea imo. Make a new music service or something as "Google play music" is a rubbish name and the orange look is also rubbish, but don't put me on YouTubeusic please

Soldato
I am so worried about this that I'm not even going to look at YouTube music to as I don't want to be confirmed how crap I imagine it will be.
I have played with it a little bit and the the only redeeming feature seems to be that they are skewing it to a 'radio/discovery' style service like Spotify which is good for when I come home and just want to put something on.. not necessarily an album, not necessarily all bands/artists I know, not necessarily a playlist etc. just *something* I'd like. GPM has always been gash for that.

But the streaming quality is noticeably poorer on my amp (via the now discontinued Chromecast Audio, don't know what I'm going to do when that gives up the ghost :rolleyes: ) so yes. It's a bunch of **** as far as I'm concerned.

Stupid idea imo. Make a new music service or something as "Google play music" is a rubbish name and the orange look is also rubbish, but don't put me on YouTubeusic please
Somebody at Google should have known that for any real 'music' fan associating themselves with the 'Youtube' brand is a terrible idea. I can't believe they did it. When you talk to me about music on YT I think of terrible rips/3rd party streams, stupid unofficial lyric videos etc. Not quality in any way. It's so dumb.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if we may as well switch now. Sounds like your GPM will continue to work until they turn it off anyway? At least I've got the time to mess around with it now :o

YouTube music is great for the price. If you want something better, pay a lot more and use spotify.
The trouble I have, which is where Google have been smart, is that I like no ads on YouTube and YouTube playing in the background which YouTube premium gives so I'd still want that, and then paying for Spotify seems silly to do both. I also would prefer a Google option, I just find Google have made poor decisions so far and could do better.

Somebody at Google should have known that for any real 'music' fan associating themselves with the 'Youtube' brand is a terrible idea. I can't believe they did it. When you talk to me about music on YT I think of terrible rips/3rd party streams, stupid unofficial lyric videos etc. Not quality in any way. It's so dumb
Agreed 100 percent.

Soldato
OP
Jesus, after using Apple Music for the last six months, then trying Spotify again I didn’t realise how awful the sound quality is on Spotify. YT music is ok though.

I’m sure Spotify didn’t use to be that bad, maybe I just never noticed before.

Tried the quality and equaliser settings but it pales in comparison to the other two.

Soldato
It now sounds as good as the others
I thought the above sounded odd, I've never really heard of Spotify quality complaints unless they're comparing to Tidal/D etc.

Anyhoo, thinking I might give YTM a go and see what they do to my £7.99 for life subscription. If it doesn't carry over it's probably time to jump ship to Spotify or Tidal. I've had it up to the short ends with Google's nonsense :o

Soldato
So i had the prompt to import my GPM library in to youtube music today, ive done that and I'm not too impressed. It seems almost everything i've tried is 128k mp3. Doesnt seem to matter what it is, it's all 128kmp3 wrapped up in an mp4 container and I've verified this by downloading the original videos (you can get the video ID by enabling stats for nerds). Even the SACD rips I originally uploaded to GPM, which are played as mp4 videos but you cant download, are being reported as the same mp4a.40.2(140) so they are also 128k mp3s in an mp4 container and yes the same music sounds different when played through GPM or youtube music. To be clear, GPM never claimed to have stellar bitrates but from my playing around this morning, YTM is different and its worse.

I'm not complaining too much because we pay peanuts for a family sub but if i was paying full price then I'd be done with it at this point.

example:

hfoLZS8.png

Soldato
So i had the prompt to import my GPM library in to youtube music today, ive done that and I'm not too impressed. It seems almost everything i've tried is 128k mp3.
Maybe I have pretty low standards, but I couldn't tell the difference between my music on GPM and YouTube. However I did immediately notice that as a freeloader I have to tolerate an advert/skip before a change of artists now. That's not happening. :)

Fortunately I mainly listen to podcasts and radio these days, and GPM was merely a very convenient place to keep my easily searched archive, so I've downloaded everything back to my good old fashioned hard drive and forgotten about YouTube. The downloaded mp3s (via the GPM manager app) seem to vary in quality, but the range is between 192 and 320kbps. I haven't checked yet, but I might be able to put it all on a USB stick on my router, which would serve 99% of my needs.

Soldato
I don't use streaming services at all, it's either my purchased music or radio.

Currently my music library is on GPM and I can control it from my Google home devices using voice.

Once they shut GPM I'll have to pay for YouTube music premium if I want to voice cast my own purchased music.

Soldato
So i had the prompt to import my GPM library in to youtube music today, ive done that and I'm not too impressed.
Stupid question, at the very start I uploaded my own music to GPM but to be honest don't really care about 'my' files since I/they went to the subscription model. When they say they'll import your GPM library I assume they mean ones you've added to your library via the subscription? Music I don't own, in other words? :confused:

Once they shut GPM I'll have to pay for YouTube music premium if I want to voice cast my own purchased music.
That sucks :(

I keep seeing adds for Spotify Premium free for 3 months. Pretty sure I already tried it years ago so might not be eligible, but tempted to give it a whirl whilst I can compare to YTM. My girlfriend pays full price for GPM so switching us both to a Spotify family account would be cheaper for her, plus I like the idea of having a family mix we can chuck on whilst cooking. We'er forever arguing about what to play :o (Well, she's just picky :p)

OK so found a big issue with YT music.

Play music on your phone and you have shuffle, repeat etc. Then cast it to a Google home, or play back on Bluetooth device and then try find the shuffle button.

I will give you £1 million if you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom