1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z390- ASUS- OC3D board reviews (no vrm temps, not the best CPU chip)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by orbitalwalsh, Sep 6, 2018.

1. IT Troll

Wise Guy

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

3. LePhuronn

Wise Guy

But give me bifurcation so I can get the 2nd PCI-E 16x slot back :p

4. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Think it's only gigabyte and asrock that have done it in the past :(
    This board would be scrwamibg for it though

5. LePhuronn

Wise Guy

Well to be honest, my pie-in-the-sky M-ATX build would only use 1 GPU anyway so it's not really a bother. But the fact I can't get a SFX PSU with dual 8-pin EPS is the big issue, unless I repurpose an unused PCI-E 8-pin :p

SO MANY PLANS, SO MUCH SHINY, so little money :(

6. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

I saw the photo of the Gene last night and thought what have ASUS done to it? :(

Can't quite get my head around the design/layout and sort of wonder if it's something they tried on the ITX version, but couldn't make it fit.

I'm not sure why you'd want to sacrifice two dimm slots and expansion in a formfactor which generally allows for plenty of storage and expansion. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

7. LePhuronn

Wise Guy

Nor me.

The twin EPS 8-pin make me think this is intended to be some kind of overclocking beast like the Apex or EVGA Dark, so you don't need 4 DIMM slots and 3/4 PCI-E slots. And that DIMM.2 slot supports that weird double-stacked RAM that Zadak and G.Skill are producing like the Formula boards do. But apart from this you might as well just go ITX.

Seriously weird board, and annoying too because it could have been a Mini DTX board like SFF enthusiasts have been crying out for for AGES.

8. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

I hadn't heard about the Asus DC DIMM so thanks for that :) just had a read there and while I guess it's nice to have the option of storage or more RAM I can't see it being particularly popular unless more manufacturers make use of it too.

Yep you're 100% right man it would've made a lovely DTX board and I'd definitely buy one if it was that bit smaller. What a waste :(

9. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Why on earth is the 'Code' £100 more than the Hero? Can't really see much difference other than some covers.

11. LePhuronn

Wise Guy

Different audio chip and the Code has WiFi, but that's not worth £100, especially when the Hero has a WiFi option too.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Audio chips are useless to me, I only ever use HDMI out anyway for surround sound/Atmos.

13. Distracted

Hitman

Formula arriving from ocuk tomorrow :D

So freaking excited. I feel like I've been without a pc forever. Over a month... but it seems worth the wait over the z370 version.

14. shamus21

Wise Guy

Some good Motherboards coming at last.They have made the effort this time around that said it is still more of the same, Intel realy need a new chipset.

15. Distracted

Hitman

Iiiiits heeereeee! :D:D:D:D

And with extra haribo so that makes up for not getting them in my last order :p :D

16. chaparral

Capodecina

Anyone know how much the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme Z390 is yet ?

17. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Lots.

18. robin66

Wise Guy

Looking at the other boards in the range. I'd say not too far away from £500.

19. IT Troll

Wise Guy

wccftech had it listed as $499. So assuming a straight $ to £ conversion £500 seems correct (assuming the +£100 UK gouge doesn't apply to all top range parts).

20. IT Troll

Wise Guy