Z390- ASUS- Gene PCB breakdown

Associate
Yeah, motherboard benchmarks are kind of useless unless they're evaluating CPU/memory overclocking or measuring thermals under those conditions. With a stock config the variance in frame rates and benchmark scores between comparable boards is going to be within the margin of error.

Soldato
What, this one?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/

It looks so much like the X399 Zenith Extreme

Thats the one baby :) i have my eyes on her lol + also the MSI MEG version :)
those boards though i can justify the price for those, but they will be getting run by my 8700k not a 9900k as i cant justify the price for that cpu.... intel are total bonkers.

or i could be bonkers and get the 9900k and stick it in my z370 gigabyte gaming 7 board lol
not sure the vrms are up to it though :) but i do have a monoblock on it and the vrms never reach 50c+ lol

Soldato
OP
heads up, VRMs , if you can afford to grab the watercooled ROG then do so, specially if your running AVX!
Treading carefully here, all vendors VRMs run hot - taking away the cooling aspects etc .
Watercooled versions have AVX and non AVX temps closer together but non water boards, there's a good difference.
can see why vendors have stepped up VRM counts- running 5.1/5.2ghz overclock and your VRMs are pushed hard! even at 1.35v

look out for reviews that use heatguns ! and dont just rely on sensors as some boards have them closer to the hottest part of the Mosfet (aorus)

if you can, what ever board you get, change the heatpads :) think asus pads are rated at W/mK 1-2, Thermal Grizzly's are like 8 w/mks :D

asus also have one of the strongest QVL for 2 sticks 4000hz+ but weaker with 4 sticks compared to aorus

Associate
heads up, VRMs , if you can afford to grab the watercooled ROG then do so, specially if your running AVX!
Treading carefully here, all vendors VRMs run hot - taking away the cooling aspects etc .
Watercooled versions have AVX and non AVX temps closer together but non water boards, there's a good difference.
can see why vendors have stepped up VRM counts- running 5.1/5.2ghz overclock and your VRMs are pushed hard! even at 1.35v

look out for reviews that use heatguns ! and dont just rely on sensors as some boards have them closer to the hottest part of the Mosfet (aorus)

if you can, what ever board you get, change the heatpads :) think asus pads are rated at W/mK 1-2, Thermal Grizzly's are like 8 w/mks :D

asus also have one of the strongest QVL for 2 sticks 4000hz+ but weaker with 4 sticks compared to aorus

The Auros z390 pro with the latest bios won’t boot to 4000mhz on 8pak’s tested ram when using xmp profile or manual timings just FYI. Using slots 2 and 4 (heatsink blocking 1/3) I can run 3600mhz at c16 though but ram performance seems off.

Soldato
OP
The Auros z390 pro with the latest bios won’t boot to 4000mhz on 8pak’s tested ram when using xmp profile or manual timings just FYI. Using slots 2 and 4 (heatsink blocking 1/3) I can run 3600mhz at c16 though but ram performance seems off.

Aorus, only has 4 sticks working g on QVL list, not 2 . They test 4 across the board, have weaker 2 sticks support . Also on the Master/ITX, not so sure on the Pro/Elite

Asus has lot of G.Skill support it seems for higher ram speeds. Hope TG gets more added.

Associate

Yes Asus have never been good with 4 sticks they struggle on the quad channel boards.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand why they don't make more 2 dimm boards to be honest, as the z390 doesn't actually support proper Quad channel.

if you look at build/upgrade requests here over last 4 years, comes from owners of 1st-3rd gen intel i5/7's which up until now ran everygame just fine, they just had 2x 4gb sticks of ram as at the time, thats all they needed or were on the market, now 16GB is the main stream so they slap in another 2 sticks and maybe a gpu upgrade and fine for another 3+ years etc .

many of us now currently slap in 2x 8gb sticks in as its the normal, might find in 6 years time were 8700k/ryzen 1700 still perform just fine but more memory is needed might slap in another 2 sticks .

peoples use also change and the fact workloads for non gaming application are increasing - memory size goes in hand with it etc

why there has been a push for Dual Stack RAM

Caporegime
I understand why they make 4 dimm boards, I don't understand why they don't make more 2 dimm boards considering the high-end boards are supposedly aimed at overclockers.

Easier to overclock 2 dimms instead of 4.

I can only think of the XI Gene, which has other drawbacks and the EVGA z390 Dark which doesn't even have a release date.

Soldato
Hi I've been out of the mobo/cpu upgrade loop for a bit and I was wondering if the new z390 with latest k cpu supports bootable raid 0, I'm wanting to have a 2 x Samsung nvme setup, I'm currently on the x299 but with the vroc debacle I'm off that idea

Thanks Derek

Back
Top Bottom