Z390 - Gigabyte/Aorus - Xtreme Waterforce

Soldato
OP
I was reading that the z370 taichi vrms which were well received for 8700k ocs, gets super hot for 9900k.

9900k is reminding me of prescott

Master Aorus comes with 3.5 kwm pads - this is meant to be marketed as premium thermal pads, so you get the feeling most run 2.5 rated thermal pads.
You also some 8 kwm rated thermal frilly pads and VRM will drop 10c easily. Heat sink temp will go up , but good airflow and it'll be fine .

Seems asrock and Asus have taken their foot off the pedal.
MSI has blasted the Meg ! And Aorus is playing ball - bios slowly getting there .
I want to see an apex monster . Even evga dliuppi their socket 90 degrees

Soldato
OP
So replacing the stock pads with some fujipolys might be an expensive option to better control vrm temps.

Could be specially if you/someone owns a damn good z370 and worries about running 9900k through it. Naturally good airflow /case would help as well.
Had my z370 gigabyte itx hitting 116c when benching, alphacool 17 kwm pads at £50 a pop and dropped to 80c... Though exhaust and top fan was near it as heatsink was VERY hot to touch

Soldato
OP
Planning a Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro with Wifi to couple with a 8086k. See any issue with that combo?

What RAM would you recommend? 16gb only.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £810.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​
I

I'm biased towards Team Group and 8 pack ram . Personally 3 choices

• Cheap and does the job
  • RGB 4 sticks and cheapest Samsung B Die
  • @8 Pack 4000hz kit which is a damn good price !!
Total: £567.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
I really like the Aorus ram, i think it is rgb ram done right. If you like that sort of thing ofc.

G.skill trident rgb as well, but they don't do blank sticks with RGB to fill empty slots.

Judging on looks alone i mean. Obviously if i were buying i would be thinking about spec and price as well.

Soldato
OP
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

What about this? Supposed to be b die and found it a fair bit cheaper? 175ish

It's all b die. Absolutely all and high bin.

As the big man has mentioned, both kits are B-Die, tight timings. Would personally go for the 4000hz for the price !
But situations can force you to go for the 3200 which is same price, those being hieght clearance. They are shorter and can be made even shorter by removing the top crown ! Used both - excellent kits

5UCsb0b.jpg

03MhnvD.jpg

IE0K69t.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It's all b die. Absolutely all and high bin.

I'm trying to come upto speed on memory. For my use case, 90% VR racing and some 4k gaming:

- 8086k (will OC to ~5ish) coming today
- Gigabyte z390 Auros Pro - ordering today
- Gigabtye 2080ti - already have it

I'm not bothered about benchmarks but looking for the best balance of price and performance to maximize my gaming experience. With that said, what is a good combination of speed and latency for RAM I should be looking at? Only want 16gb.

edit: Example:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/king...l-channel-kit-hx432c16pb3k2-16-my-26l-ks.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

So between those 2 kits, in gaming performance per above, what am I going to be gaining or missing out on? That's really the question that's hard to find an answer to online and in benchmarks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Robert896r1

ODE
Total: £468.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

slap in the 3200hz version personally , Pro should be able to handle the speeds but normally 4000hz is better ran on ITX/Flagship models

the value of the 8 Pack kits is.... you have @8 Pack , how is kind enough to assist owners and hound vendors is he's ram kit isn't working to how he'd like it :)

if you want to be an animal, try and get CL10 3200hz running ;)

Associate
Total: £533.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

There's what I'm thinking so far. Let me know if anyone see's an issue with this. Is that RAM going to create a clearance issue @8 Pack ?

already have the following:
- Gigabyte 2080ti
- Haf X case
- 850w platinum PSU
- 1TB SDD (sata 6)

The goal is moderate overclocking for 24/7 safe use, gaming in VR and longevity.

Soldato
OP
Associate
@Robert896r1 get his 3200hz kit. Least it's shorter and can be made to 35mm in height top top removed !

Seen Dark Rock Pro 4 ? On sale, rival to the above cooler but has cut out on fin stack to allow taller ram to slot under

Thanks! changed the cooler as per your suggestion. Stick to the thermal paste that comes with it or buy the higher end stuff? Seems like thermal paste matters more when de-lidding (not planning to).

As for the RAM heatsinks, back in the DDR3 days, they were just there for optics and removing them often lead to better cooling. Is that still the case?

The reason I went with the 4000 is because the board can handle it and they're guaranteed to run at those specs. I'm not sure I'd have a leg to stand on if the 3200 set did not perform like the 4000 set when set to 4000, even though they absolutely should.

Soldato
OP
@Robert896r1

thermal grizzly :)

long as your case allows fans to be moved slightly higher in the case you should be fine . Technically i think the Pro kits have tighter timings - but they are all highly binned Samsung B-Die .

And I know a lot of Teamgroup and 8 Pack kits have been sent to Gigabyte to offer better ram support :)

Associate
@Robert896r1

thermal grizzly :)

long as your case allows fans to be moved slightly higher in the case you should be fine . Technically i think the Pro kits have tighter timings - but they are all highly binned Samsung B-Die .

And I know a lot of Teamgroup and 8 Pack kits have been sent to Gigabyte to offer better ram support :)

Good man! Cooling bits on the way. Going to call OcUK to get confirmation on the RAM speed guarantee. I rather not mess around with trying to pry off the heatsinks. Would prefer the shorter units for better clearance as discussed.

Full build will be this friday! looking forward to some 90fps rock solid goodness in VR racing :)

edit: full order complete! now the wait for friday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom