z390 pro and Team Group 4000mhz 32gb RAM

Associate
Well.... XMP doesnt work, and I am reluctant to Flash the BIOS...
My google-fu hasn't given me any obvious fixes, so here I am, hello all.

Bought the 32gb 4000mhz 8 pack Team Group RAM, Gigabyte z390 pro wifi, with an I7 9700k, tried to xmp without an overclock, sends me straight back to bios, tried manual speed and timings and voltage, doesnt work...

CPU is now overclocked fine at 4.9 ghz with little to no extra voltage added, all good, but the memory just wont do it.

CPU-Z is showing DRAM Frequencyt ay 1066mhz, BIOS shows 2133mhz and only has one XMP profile, I'm stuck, and it's been years since ive done anyting with a BIOS, and this is my first experience with a gigabyte board.
But everyone was raving about the awesome VRM's... shame no one mentioned the awful RAM support, or is it the RAM I should be shouting at?

Help me OcUK, you're my only hope.

EDIT: NOW WORKING AT 18-18-18-38 with Enhanced Stability selected!! WOO!!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine won't run my Gskill Trident Z 3866mhz C18 memory at full speed either. Set the XMP in the bios which shows 3866mhz only to get into windows and see it actually running at 3466mhz. That's with the F7 bios. There is a F8 released today or yesterday but it's only for some automation things so I won't be flashing it. After much tweaking I finally settled on 3600Mhz C16 which I am happy enough with for now. Not particularly impressed with this board though.

Soldato
Got a link to the RAM your brought? If its 2x16GB sticks there isn't a single set of that on the the the support list for that mobo so unfortunately if that's what you have 4000Mhz might just be too much.

As for getting it to run as fast as possible. Just looked at your mobo manual make sure you have the memory in slots 2+4 (counting left to right) that's the primary channel and have read of it fixing a few compatibility issues. Start at 3000Mhz with auto or slack timings with 1.35v and see how you get on.

Associate
OP
So far manged to get it to run at 3200 mhz with 15 15 15 35, then bumped it to 3600mhz 16 16 16 36.
1.4v in the power settings.

Going to try 20 20 20 40 tonight and see if that gets it to 4000mhz.
Was a bit dissapointed by this but fingers crossed i can get it up to 4000.

Also got the cpu up to 5ghz, 20c on idle, 40c on load so far, very happy with that, so the board is good for that so far.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...4000mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-096-tg.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As for getting it to run as fast as possible. Just looked at your mobo manual make sure you have the memory in slots 2+4 (counting left to right) that's the primary channel and have read of it fixing a few compatibility issues. Start at 3000Mhz with auto or slack timings with 1.35v and see how you get on.

I was under the impression that A1 + B1 would be the primary slots which is slots 1 and 3 (left to right)? The manual is so vague about the memory slots it took me ages to decide which slots to stick them in only to find out I could have them in the wrong slots after all. This is yet another area that Gigabyte needs to improve. Even my wifes old Gigabyte B85M-D3H manual tells you which slots to use when using two sticks and that board was a quarter the price of this one.

Soldato
you'd be looking at Aorus Xtreme for running 4 dimms at 4000hz - what the board was made for .

4 dimms at high speed puts a lot of stress on the IMC as well as the board .

have you tried 2 sticks and seeing ? why Asus uses 2 dimm slots only for its xtreme boards along with EVGA and Gigabyte SOC models , 2 dimms design performs better etc .

i always populate ram this way...

CPU SOCKET>>> EMPTY >> POPULATED>> EMPTY >>> POPULATED >> END OF BOARD.

Man of Honour
Same as me. Hopefully as the bios matures more may be possible. There is a new F8 bios but it seems to be for automated processes so I am skipping this one. Gigabyte are doing well with regular bios updates which is a pleasant change from what Asus used to do.

Associate
I have the same RAM but running it on the z390 master. I was having the exact same issues as you but the 2 latest f8 bios seem to have fixed it for me. Mine now runs in XMP @ 4000mhz. Be worth trying the latest bios on the PRO if you havent already done so.

Man of Honour
Take one for the team.

I’m stable at CL15 3600mhz but would like to run xmp if it does.

I am going to over the weekend because someone else posted in the Z390 Aorus owners thread who had the same problem we have and now XMP is running his memory at it's proper speed after flashing the F9b bios. It will be a mercy if my saved profiles work after a flash.

Back
Top Bottom