Zalman CPU cooler fan not spinning

Associate
Recently, I've noticed that sometimes on booting, the fan on my new Zalman CNPS9500-AT cooler does not spin, and I get an alarm. At first I thought oh-oh, RMA time, but the response from OCUK points out that the spin is temperature controlled. Now, it IS much colder today, so perhaps its too cold to warrant spinning the fan.

And the alarm? Well in the BIOS I had it set to detect CPU fan failure, so I'm guessing that this alarm was being triggered when the fan doesn't spin because it is too cold. I've now disabled the detection, so I'll see how it goes.

Soldato
That all sounds normal to me. Its designed with silence in mind, so the fan is designed to spin as slowly as possible, including stopping it completely when not required.

The bios does read the fan rpm and if the fan alarm is enabled it will go off if the fan isn't spinning.

Associate
My fan in 9500 stops for a few seconds but only during booting, never noticed it stop completely at other times.

Associate
OP
On boot going into the BIOS I get temps of about 25 - I know this is really low. Once I get into Windows it tends to go up to 40. I've yet to see the temp when the fan is not spinning (I've been turning off the power immediately because of the alarm, which I thought was the CPU overheating), but I suspect it will be lower than 25.

Thinking about it, the stopped fan happens after the PC has been off for hours (so it is really cold).

I'm pretty sure now that it is working as designed. ;)

Soldato
Fan on mine doesn't start spinning until i'm almost in Windows.

It's normal, so unless you're getting any kind of adverse effects, i'd leave it :)

Soldato
yeah it's normal.

When I first got my Zalman CNPS9500 I put it on my ole' 3200 venice at stock ghz...and when idling it would drop to 25c and the fan would shut off.

Back
Top Bottom