Zalman Silent Hard Disk Heatpipe Cooler v. OcUK Silentmaxx Hard Drive Enclosure

Associate
Has anyone used one of these before?
What are they like in noise reduction?
I know the ocUK says "Reduces hard drive noise by over 95%" but what type of noise reduction does the Zalman product offer?

thanks 4 the help.

Associate
Ive owned the Zalman, Silent Drive and am about to install a Watercool HDD silencer cooler in a few days.

The Zalman was pretty decent at reducing vibrations, but cooling may not be as good if you mount the HDD in a 5.25 bay (before my HDD was in a 3.5'' bay with a 80mm fan blowing over it so stayed pretty cool). The zalman is not so good at reducing seek noise (so wasnt too good with my maxtors).

The silent drives did a good job of dampening high pitched sounds and vibrations, but left my sisters HDD a bit toasty.

Not used the silentmaxx enclosure myself, but me thinks it would be better than the Zalman.

Associate
Okay but toasty

I used to own one of the Silentmaxx's and my bro had a Zalman.
In terms of making things quieter - the Silentmaxx has the edge definately.
As far as cooling goes...

3.5inch bay with 80mm fan (coolest) < zalman < silentmaxx (hottest)

If you really want one - for keeping things quiet I found the silentmaxx was excellent but it does force the temps of your hard drive up by 8-10degrees....

:toasty:

Associate
OP
thanks for the info, i'm interested in the ocuk encolsure, but what are safe hard drive temperatures to work with, if they might increase to 9-10 degrees more.

Soldato
I found that also, even though the Silentmaxx does reduce noise significantly it doesnt compare to the 80mm fans blowing on it, the temps do increase.

Soldato
I did quite a bit of research into various enclosures a bit ago, and I found that and decided to go with; Smartdrive 2002c enclosures. They're expensive but very effective at both quietening and cooling the drive. Shame I have to get 6 in total.

Back
Top Bottom