*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Soldato
I know emulators are pretty shady stuff but as I predicted, the game is so popular that there's already been remarkable progress in its emulation on PC. Apparently, it now runs almost as good as the console version with some dips in framerate and the physics issues are fixed. It's probably not ideal but they're still working on it.
There are videos available if anyone's interested, won't post any just in case.

Soldato
Anyone else still plodding along?

I'm resisting doing the DBs. Just have the Goron one left, but so much of the map is unexplored despite opening all the towers so long ago.

Also, am I the only one who has took great pleasure in upgrading the armour sets and having little outfits for Link? :D:D

It's a normal day - diamond headband, Champion's tunic, Hylian trousers
It's raining - Hylian hood, tunic and Snowquill trousers (hood and tunic are green)
Creeping round the castle - Sheikah outfit, but damn that thing is dyed black
Fighting Guardian - Ancient armour, but diamond headband because the helmet is stupid

And so on...

I even choose a horse and weapons based on the "kit". I don't know if it makes me a realist or a girl. :confused::D

Soldato
I've decided I'm starting to feel somewhat fatigued. I love the game and have had a great play length out of it. But I have wrapped up the DB's and am heading for the main event before I burn out on it

Still a fair bit to explore for sure but I think I have enjoyed what I've played soo much that playing any more may risk souring my overall thoughts on it

Looking forward to the finale

Soldato
So just done the final boss, after the credits the save game is.. before the boss fight? Except the save file has a star on it which I guess means it knows I've finished it, just seems a weird choice in this day and age.

I then went and finished the memories

All in all, the ending and the memories =

disappointment

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I think the story is best viewed as enjoy the journey rather than the destination although I actually quite liked the ending/s :)

Normally I would agree with this sentiment (in theory), but not for this particular rendition. Ganon has destroyed the place, you've already failed once, and he's about to erupt again. Link needs to get a shift on and stop frolicking around with horses and go mess Ganon up. If you do the DBs only then the journey is quite pathetic. Done the normal, exploitative way makes no narrative sense.

Soldato
How long is the game?

I've finished the main quest at about 65-70hrs but you can main line it almost right from the start and probably finish a lot sooner though I can't see anyone wanting to do it like that! I imagine a normal gamer could probably do everything in around 100-120 hour? Shrines beasts and memories

Caporegime
Just did the flying DB:

Too easy. No challenge at all with the boss at the end. The DB was just a quick wander round briefly to find the stations. It's weird there's decently hard enemies randomly in the game world but next to no enemies in the DBs and underwhelming bosses.

Bring back proper dungeons!

Soldato
4 beasts down and all memories done. 65 shrines. I might go for Ganon now or I might carry on shrine hunting. Not sure. In terms of game length I am over 80 hours in and I still adore it.

I played Witcher 3 this morning for a few hours (first time playing it). Killed the griffin but god I am really not feeling it. Hated it, actually.

Soldato
4 beasts down and all memories done. 65 shrines. I might go for Ganon now or I might carry on shrine hunting. Not sure. In terms of game length I am over 80 hours in and I still adore it.

I played Witcher 3 this morning for a few hours (first time playing it). Killed the griffin but god I am really not feeling it. Hated it, actually.

Prepare to do the same thing for 120 hours then since Witcher 3 has like two gameplay mechanics which it repeats till the very end with robotic animations and wonky physics:p
Levelling is broken and the story is padded out like hell and lacks any proper build-up. Even the last fight isn't epic.

I'd still stick with the game for some enjoyable dialogues and sidequests/hunts (that mostly follow the scenario of "talk with A, use witcher senses, await plot twist, kill/spare x") but how it got all those awards with gameplay like that is mind-boggling. And those who think it has the best story or writing ever must not have read a single fantasy book. Or even Witcher books which are a lot better. People seem to mistake good writing with good dialogues.

I enjoyed it once I lowered my expectations about "teh best game evah" and simply wandered around doing sidestuff accepting I was on a gigantic fetchquest. It's somehow better than the sum of its parts so I'd rate it maybe 7.5/10. Won't post that in the official Witcher thread since the game has the most rabid defense forces in the last couple of years:p

Associate
the game has the most rabid defense forces in the last couple of years:p

Oh, you've not experienced TLoU fans, I've never heard of Witcher 3 being so well defended though. IMHO TLoU suffers from the Bioshock Infinite syndrome of very good story paired with very uninteresting gameplay mechanics. Zelda is the other way around, decent gameplay but jack-all for story. And for a video game... all that matter is that it's fun to play. Good narrative is nice to have, but not necessary for a fun game. Just look at titles like MGS5 and the Mario games. In that regard, I can only assume folks like the Witcher for being fun to play, but also due to the devs. CD Project has gained a lot of goodwill with their decisions. Only time wil tell if they do a Nintendo and start abusing that fact.

Though to be fair... I guess Zelda fans too. People joked about Zelda fans being upset if a review ever gave this game a 9/10 (as opposed to higher)...

Soldato
I'm a TLoU fan;p Out of curiosity, what sort of mechanics would you be happy with in that game? I think the entire package worked pretty damn good for a game of such length and the combat was brutal and heavy. Obviously the game has its flaws but I'm curious what you expected as I really have a hard time thinking of a more polished title released in the last couple of years.

EDIT: What I also mean is that the movement and everything felt good, the running animations, the shooting and punches had real impact, strangling people felt pretty real. That's also what's important for me and maybe that's why I didn't like Witcher 3's gameplay since it felt very robotic and clunky.

In Witcher 3 you're forced to put up with the wonkiness and repetitiveness of the gameplay mechanics (the entire two of them:p) for 100+h since the game is much longer. If it was shorter, it wouldn't be such a problem. I'm actually replaying the game and it's obviously not bad but I don't know whether I'll make it to the end since it's already getting tiresome.

About Zelda, the story is bog-standard but the game doesn't hold your hand and is truly open. I prefer it that way since Witcher 3's story is nothing amazing to me, pretty average TBH and the pacing is a joke. Some good dialogues doesn't equal good story/writing and certainly not the best ever.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm going at this so slow compared to most. I got it on release day and have only done one DB and not sure how many shrines but doesn't feel more than say 25 or so.

I'm quite happy moving at a slow pace but kids, work and life dictate I don't have much time to play.

Back
Top Bottom