• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Caporegime
The CPU's are real and Dr Lisa Sue did say during her reveal of these that they are on track an end of year launch.

They are supposed to offer a 10 to 25% performance increase in gaming over existing Zen 3 parts.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-z...000-5000xt-may-be-available-in-december-2021/

Just the other day, it was discovered that AMD’s Milan-X processors featuring 3D stacked L3 cache (V-Cache) are all set to launch, with the retail OPNs and prices already finalized. Like Milan, Milan-X will be a full-fledged product stack with core counts ranging from 16 to 64. The existing Epyc processors already pack a massive L3 cache (up to 256MB). It’ll be interesting to see if AMD doubles it with Milan-X or simply change the topology.

Earlier today, Greymon55 stated that the 3D packaging equipment for Zen 3D already arrived in AMD’s China factories last week, and we may see the consumer version of the technology by the holiday season. Keep in mind that this, by no means, is a confirmation of a late 2021 launch. It just means that the Ryzen 6000/5000 XT parts will land sometime around the holiday season, either during or after Christmas, possibly even in January.

U1lPz7w.jpg

Soldato
Alder Lake VS this will be interesting. Should the non 3d vcache cpu`s get a price drop or will these just be simply more expensive

Soldato
Alder Lake VS this will be interesting. Should the non 3d vcache cpu`s get a price drop or will these just be simply more expensive

Alder Lake would have to be substantially faster to be enticing for most people I think. Especially as you will need to buy a new MB and DDR5? So an expensive upgrade. Where as these chips should drop in to B550/X570 boards and offer a healthy upgrade.

Soldato
Unless I’ve misunderstood, but I don’t see AMD launching AM5 by year end. As far as it seems this looks like Zen 3 but with the addition of 3D cache. It’s not Zen 4.

Soldato
Alder Lake would have to be substantially faster to be enticing for most people I think. Especially as you will need to buy a new MB and DDR5? So an expensive upgrade. Where as these chips should drop in to B550/X570 boards and offer a healthy upgrade.
From what I understand Alderlake can use both DDR4 or DDR5 so you wouldn't need to go with more costly DDR5 right away and the platform will be more future proof (especially with Windows 11) than buying an EOL AM4.

If you already have a B550 or X570 then the chances are you will already have zen 2 or 3 so upgrading right now wouldn't make much sense anyway.

Soldato
Depends just how profound the performance increase is, if it really is up to 25% in some situations you might see a lot of people upgrading just because it’s so cost effective. Plus we like new things.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, but it think it’s pretty cool to have another AM4 upgrade path. It’s like the platform that keeps giving.

Soldato
Depends just how profound the performance increase is, if it really is up to 25% in some situations you might see a lot of people upgrading just because it’s so cost effective. Plus we like new things.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, but it think it’s pretty cool to have another AM4 upgrade path. It’s like the platform that keeps giving.
I doubt the 3D v-cache will offer 25% over zen 3, it will probably be more like 5-10% but I guess thats still a decent bump over Zen 2 when you add it on to the 20% or so that zen 3 already has.

Associate
From what I understand Alderlake can use both DDR4 or DDR5 so you wouldn't need to go with more costly DDR5 right away and the platform will be more future proof (especially with Windows 11) than buying an EOL AM4.

If you already have a B550 or X570 then the chances are you will already have zen 2 or 3 so upgrading right now wouldn't make much sense anyway.

Will be interesting to see what the performance differences are with DDR5 Vs DDR4 for Alder-Lake S.
So far the Alder-Lake leaks are all over the place, so we don't know if any of those benches were DDR4 or of they all were DDR5. ES platform leaks so timings and memory clocks were likely poor anyhow.

Associate
The CPU's are real and Dr Lisa Sue did say during her reveal of these that they are on track an end of year launch.

They are supposed to offer a 10 to 25% performance increase in gaming over existing Zen 3 parts.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-z...000-5000xt-may-be-available-in-december-2021/

U1lPz7w.jpg
I guess starting manufacturing by the end of the year could mean starting final assembly.

Wonder what new packaging equipment Tom's are on about though?

Pretty sure due to the nanometre precision required to actually stack, the 3D stacking part can only be done by TSMC in a fab level cleanroom facility which should be in Taiwan not mainland China.

Back
Top Bottom