• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 4 includes upto 3.4 TFlop iGPU. Golden Cove core not ready until 2022

Soldato
Idk what half of you lot are smoking.
Key changes from Zen 3

improved cache load, write and prefetch from/to register (less latency).
improved iGPUs for APU variants; navi integrated gpu with up to 3.4 TFLOPs FP32 (clock frequency unknown, at least 2 GHz).
utilizes new AM5 socket.
more transistors (depending on AM5 socket as well and not just the CPU it self).

The APUs which already get a igpu... will get... a better igpu :eek:

Soldato
Need high end igpu on a 4 core cpu. Then computer is cheap enough for general office and web stuff and capable of kiddie games like minecraft, fortnight, hello neighbor etc.

Dont see why they put high end igpu only on fastest cpu since people using those fast cpus most likely will run discrete gpu

Associate
There are two separate lines: Warhol for mainstream and high end CPU's like these on 5x00x series and Rembrandt for APU's.
There is a market for APU's there are mini PC's that can use them and also a lot of OEM systems. Plus the laptops.

Soldato
Won't matter how many TFlop the igpu is, all igpus are held back by memory bandwidth. Without some on package hbm or similar, performance won't be radically different

Very true. It's more cost than practicality. AMD could put 128MB/256MB "Infinity Cache" on an APU, no problem. Such a cache would be relatively tiny but it would be an additional chip or increased size die. Coupled with DDR5, would be blazing compared to existing iGPUs.

I think we'll see something along these lines in the next few years. Might be Intel doing though!

Soldato
OP
That's Alder Lake right? Wasn't it always 2H 2021. So that's December 31st 2021 then :p

Can see that working for Intel! Would give them sufficient time to sell Rocket / Comet Lake CPUs. And some Sapphire Rapids server CPUs too, before the next gen in 2022.

If they announce in the last week of the 2021 / first week of 2022, You'd probably be able to buy a new CPU / motherboard / DDR5 RAM within 2-3 months!

My dad is waiting to build a Intel 10nm desktop system (it's been about 12 years - he still has a i7 920!), which is why I'm speculating :).

I think an AM5 socket system will offer better upgradability though, as was the case for AM4 and AM3 (both were supported for 5-6 years).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom