• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 4 includes upto 3.4 TFlop iGPU. Golden Cove core not ready until 2022

Soldato
link:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen_4#Key_changes_from_Zen_3

Current iGPUs offer upto ~2TFlops.

Unrelated but interesting - Intel's Golden Cove 10nm CPU core probably won't be ready until 2022.
That is because the Sapphire Rapids server processors, due for release in mid/late 2021 use the (precursor) Willow Cove core, the same core used in laptop Tigerlake CPUs. link here:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/sapphire_rapids#Key_changes_from_Ice_Lake

As the current gen of Ice Lake server processors use Sunny Cove cores, it makes sense that Sapphire Rapids processors use the core tech that follows this.

Assuming this info. is correct, this suggests to me that the Golden Cove core (planned for 10nm Alder lake desktop CPUs) isn't ready yet. According to a leaked Huawei roadmap, they plan to release new server products in 2021, and then the Granite Rapids series in 2022. Link here:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/xeon-sapphire-rapids-granite-rapids-leaked-huawei

The Granite Rapids server CPUs are planned to use the Golden Cove core according to this:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/...anite_rapids#Key_changes_from_Sapphire_Rapids

It says in the link above that this server series will use the 7nm, not 10nm fab process. This seems very unlikely, considering the reported 7nm delays.

Basically, we need to verify what type of CPU core the Sapphire Rapids series will use, Intel is keeping it a secret.

xeon-sapphire-rapids-granite-rapids-leaked-huawei

Last edited:
Soldato
Won't matter how many TFlop the igpu is, all igpus are held back by memory bandwidth. Without some on package hbm or similar, performance won't be radically different
Well, we'll have DDR5 at least with Zen 4. It's not going to be a magic bullet for iGPU performance, but it'll help. Plus the move from Vega to RDNA as a basis for the GPU itself. Though considering that a GTX 1050 is ~30-50% faster than the 4700G's iGPU, even if you pair the latter with RAM in the 4400MHz range and overclock it, 1050 Ti-ish performance might be the best you could hope for. Getting up to 1060/580 levels would be massive, as that would be more than enough GPU for a huge amount of people even now, but I'm not sure they'll reach that level.

Permabanned
It is a bad news for AMD's competitiveness. No one in their right mind would ever use a Ryzen 7 5800X-class performance and above with integrated graphics.
It's all a contradiction, AMD will move to Intel's position right now and if Intel strikes back, more desperate times will come towards AMD.

Soldato
It is a bad news for AMD's competitiveness. No one in their right mind would ever use a Ryzen 7 5800X-class performance and above with integrated graphics.
It's all a contradiction, AMD will move to Intel's position right now and if Intel strikes back, more desperate times will come towards AMD.

It doesn't stop these being good for things like cheaper office systems or even a home PC for children. a 5800X is a bit extreme I agree but something equivalent to a 5600X with a 3.4TFLOP gpu for ~£300 next gen would be fantastic for budget systems. Lower power, simpler build, lower cost for all parties involved.

Permabanned
It doesn't stop these being good for things like cheaper office systems or even a home PC for children. a 5800X is a bit extreme I agree but something equivalent to a 5600X with a 3.4TFLOP gpu for ~£300 next gen would be fantastic for budget systems. Lower power, simpler build, lower cost for all parties involved.

There are already mobile Renoir and Cezanne APUs with up to 8 cores.

This change means two things:

- AMD will remove its products from the enthusiast segment;
- there will be a progress stagnation coming in the next years.

Soldato
No one in their right mind would ever use a Ryzen 7 5800X-class performance and above with integrated graphics.
You're looking at it from the very narrow perspective of a gamer. Plenty of people use their computers for work rather than play and require a beefy CPU, but little more than a display adapter on the GPU front. This would just save them from having to buy a GT 1030 or something seperately.

You're barmy. There's already a desktop APU with eight cores in the 4700G. I guess that means AMD have already given up the "enthusiast segment" then? Or perhaps they'll just continue releasing CPUs and APUs as seperate product lines, as they literally always have, serving both markets instead of just one.

Permabanned
You're looking at it from the very narrow perspective of a gamer. Plenty of people use their computers for work rather than play and require a beefy CPU, but little more than a display adapter on the GPU front. This would just save them from having to buy a GT 1030 or something seperately.

BS, even though there are indeed people who need that, most of them require a power graphics card for acceleration. This is as a niche and very narrow point of view as the gaming market.

You're barmy. There's already a desktop APU with eight cores in the 4700G. I guess that means AMD have already given up the "enthusiast segment" then? Or perhaps they'll just continue releasing CPUs and APUs as seperate product lines, as they literally always have, serving both markets instead of just one.

Raphael is listed in the roadmap and nothing else above it. Raphael is an APU.
So, no, the hints are that AMD will not continue to release CPUs and APUs as separate product lines. :D

Associate

8 cores with iGPU is still relevant to many forms of development teams, and 6 cores make a great general-use system - both applications don't require dedicated GPU's.

AMD have proven that they know what they're doing and are well ahead of Intel, who have proven that they don't know what they're doing.

Associate
There is no sodding way AMD will be removing its products from the higher end of the stack, not a chance - you must be drinking some good juice if you think that (where, i want some)

Associate
We are not development teams - the development teams buy Quadros and Threadrippers, not office machines with 6 cores and super beefy integrated graphics.

You think web developers, data engineers and data scientists need Threadrippers in large companies? An 8 core machine is perfect for local development, afterwhich you move to centralised or cloud infrastructure.

Associate
Roadmaps tend to haver bends and bumps in there as well as bits missing, a bit like the roads round my way.
Heck didnt Intel change there roadmap about two billion times in the last decade?

Permabanned
You think web developers, data engineers and data scientists need Threadrippers in large companies? An 8 core machine is perfect for local development, afterwhich you move to centralised or cloud infrastructure.

They will simply buy Intel + Nvidia, not Radeon because of its low reputation.

Associate
I am in the process of spec'ing a high end data modeling workstation for a college and while its prob going to be Cuda based due to its software support my primary cpu of choice, if i can get the spec to fit is not going to be an Intel one unless AVX is a factor, which i dont think it is - Almost certainly a 16 core AM4 or TR based chip.

Permabanned

I think it's a good move. These integrated GPU's use a lot less power, while providing enough power for the desktop. This will let discrete cards sleep until they are needed. We may even see AI compute tasks running on the IGPU.

Soldato
BS, even though there are indeed people who need that, most of them require a power graphics card for acceleration. This is as a niche and very narrow point of view as the gaming market.
You are completely clueless. There are plenty of workloads that require a beefy CPU and little to nothing on the GPU front. It's not a niche situation at all. Please educate yourself at least a little before going on insane rants.

Raphael is listed in the roadmap and nothing else above it. Raphael is an APU.
So, no, the hints are that AMD will not continue to release CPUs and APUs as separate product lines. :D
Imagine looking at public or leaked partial roadmaps and thinking you have even a vague clue on what a company's plans are. Your wild claims are based on nothing except the voices in your head, yet you state them as facts. Not sure if troll or nutter, frankly.

Soldato
OP
Lol, who'd of thought mentioning upto '3.4 TFlop iGPU' would be controversial. surely its a good thing for laptop bang for buck? Processors + iGPUs like the Ryzen 3 4300U can already run games like doom eternal comfortably, and only cost £400-£500 for 2in1s or laptops. Further improvements could allow a steady 60 fps in some modern titles. The 5600U CPU single threaded performance is significantly improved from previous generations too.

The benefit is mostly for laptops, I really doubt AMD would only release APUs for desktop systems. It would be a waste of die space for 1 thing, most are happy to fork out some cash for a better, cheap dedicated GPU.

Anyway, I kinda wanted to know what everyone thinks about the theory that Golden Cove / Alder lake 10nm desktop CPUs won't be here until 2022. Since no replies, I assume you agree? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom