Zen+ and X570S?

Associate
What happens if I put a Ryzen 5 2600 in a X570S Aurous Master?

Now clearly I know I am not going to get PCi-e 4. But the Motherboard specs are a bit unclear about exactly what I will get from the PCi-e/M.2 slots when a Zen+ CPU installed.
But will the M.2 slots just work at PCi-e 3 speeds or will they not work at all?

And for the USBs - will they function just at a slower speed?

Finally what are my chances of getting better memory clock speeds and timings? I know the CPU is the main factor, but topology plays a part too, and that has improved significantly from B350->X570S.
I have really good DDR4 RAM (Team Group RIPPED Edition DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHz) but the best I could get with my 2600 is 34000Mhz - it doesn't POST with XMP.

I'm asking because I don't have the budget to buy a MOBO and a CPU at the same time. While Ryzen 5000 processors will be available for some time at a gradually reducing price - and second hand after that - motherboards have a habit of holding thier price and then suddenly going out of stock and not returning.
So because of that, grabbing a MOBO first seems more sensible.

*My motherboard options are quite limited by the fact that I refuse to consider downgrading in any way and many of the most recent AM4 motherboards - especially from MSI - have elected to go with Realtek LAN. I want to stick with AM4 because I already have really good DDR4 RAM. USB ports are important to me for outside-in VR tracking and M.2 ports are important to me as that is the way storage is going - hence the X570S Aorus Master.

Associate
OP
What worries me is this line about 5000/3000 only for the Chipset M.2
Screenshot_20220628-132128.png

Whereas for the CPU M.2 it explicitly states previous gen CPUs are supported at 3.0 speeds
Screenshot_20220628-132255.png

Soldato
Man of Honour
The manual is a bit easier to read than the specs page, but it appears to work just like Orcvader said.

About the USB ports, I think you'll still have them all. The CPU derived USB ports are still supported by Zen+ and the other ports are either from the chipset, or an ASMedia chip.

Back
Top Bottom